"I don't need drugs to enjoy this! Just to enhance it!"
Also known as THC Theater
. A movie about The Stoner
, made for
the Stoner. Possibly made by
Stoners, but that can't be proven
, unless the creators acknowledge that it was
Tend not to be especially plot-driven, and often contain long tangents relating to pop culture. Expect 90% of the humor to be either puerile jokes or humor about doing incredibly stupid stuff thanks to being intoxicated. Basically, Slice of Life
genre for stoners.
- The Beach Girls
- The Big Lebowski, although fans are split over whether or not it's actually funnier when the viewer isn't baked.
- The Cheech And Chong series, the Trope Maker
- Dazed And Confused was mismarketed as one of these. The actual product is a coming of age film and only one character is actually a stoner.
- Dude Wheres My Car
- Easy Rider: the Sixties version, back when pot was counterculture.
- Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas is about the drug culture of the late 60s and early 70s. Director Gilliam mixes in a dash of modern stoner humor into the adaptation.
- The Friday series
- Fritz the Cat
- Grandma's Boy
- Grass, though this one is documentary where everything else on this list tells a fictional story. Woody Harrelson provides the narration.
- Half Baked
- The Harold & Kumar series:
- Help!: The Beatles were stoned off their asses during the making of it, and the non sequiturs and other ridiculous bits are far more entertaining.
- How High
- The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back — the other Kevin Smith movies have drug influence, but are much less focused on it.
- J Men Forever (1979). The villainous Lightning Bug schemes to conquer the Earth with Sex Drugs And Rock And Roll, and only the J-Men (an elite team of
tight-assed straights straight-jawed men-in-tights) can stop him with a combination of re-dubbed Republic Film Serial heroes, schmaltzy music, and an indiscriminate bombing campaign of all suspected marijuana stashes. Has a vast number of Stoner jokes, including the motto of the J-Men which is "U Cannabis Smokem".
- Killer Bud
- Knocked Up, the b-plot is Stoner comedy all the way.
- Living Will, in addition to being a romantic comedy, has plenty of stoner humor.
- Pineapple Express. Two stoners get mixed up in an action film. The title refers to a strain of weed.
- Reefer Madness (2005), the classic exploitation film remade as an over-the-top musical comedy.
- Saving Grace, possibly the most intelligent stoner movie ever made.
- Super Troopers, though ironically the first scene features the heroes tormenting and busting some potheads for possession.
- Tenacious D In The Pick Of Destiny provides the page image. The film is noticeably more pot-centric than the group's previous specials. Tenacious D themselves joke in the commentary that the film's message is that weed is friendship.
- Smiley Face, stars Anna Faris as a stoner who had a few too many marijuana cupcakes
- The Stoned Age
- Super High Me.
- Withnail And I.
- Yellow Submarine, a psychedelic example from 1968.
- Your Highness, which is a textbook stoner flick crossed with The Princess Bride.
- Zardoz. John Boorman himself was high when he made the thing and it shows.