"We aren't very functional when we're stoned - which is all the fucking time.
Also known as THC Theater
. A movie about The Stoner
, made for
the Stoner. Possibly made by
Stoners, but that can't be proven
, unless the creators acknowledge that it was
Tend not to be especially plot-driven, and often contain long tangents relating to pop culture. Expect 90% of the humor to be either puerile jokes or humor about doing incredibly stupid stuff thanks to being intoxicated. Basically, Slice of Life
genre for stoners. Many, but not all, Stoner Flicks are also examples of Drugs Are Good
With these films, it's often recommended that you Watch It Stoned
- The Beach Girls
- The Big Lebowski, a parody of old Detective Drama stories, where the gumshoe is actually a pot-smoking loser.
- The Cheech And Chong series, the Trope Maker
- Dazed and Confused was mismarketed as one of these. The actual product is a coming of age film and only one character is actually a stoner.
- Dude Wheres My Car
- Easy Rider: the Sixties version, back when pot was counterculture.
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is about the drug culture of the late 60s and early 70s. Director Gilliam mixes in a dash of modern stoner humor into the adaptation.
- The Friday series
- Fritz the Cat cartoons
- Grandma's Boy: Nick Swardson says in one stand-up special that the actor who played Dante (the drug dealer) used real pot instead of the fake pot he was given for his scenes, which backfired on him when they ended up doing a bunch of takes.
- Grass, though this one is documentary where everything else on this list tells a fictional story. Woody Harrelson provides the narration.
- Half Baked
- The Harold & Kumar series:
- Help!: The Beatles were stoned off their asses during the making of it, and the non sequiturs and other ridiculous bits are far more entertaining.
- How High
- The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back — the other Kevin Smith movies have drug influence, but are much less focused on it.
- J Men Forever (1979). The villainous Lightning Bug schemes to conquer the Earth with Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll, and only the J-Men (an elite team of
tight-assed straights straight-jawed men-in-tights) can stop him with a combination of re-dubbed Republic Film Serial heroes, schmaltzy music, and an indiscriminate bombing campaign of all suspected marijuana stashes. Has a vast number of Stoner jokes, including the motto of the J-Men which is "U Cannabis Smokem".
- Killer Bud
- Knocked Up, the b-plot is Stoner comedy all the way.
- Living Will, in addition to being a romantic comedy, has plenty of stoner humor.
- Pineapple Express. Two stoners get mixed up in an action film. The title refers to a strain of weed.
- Reefer Madness (2005), the classic exploitation film remade as an over-the-top musical comedy.
- Saving Grace, possibly the most intelligent stoner movie ever made.
- Super Troopers, though ironically the first scene features the heroes tormenting and busting some potheads for possession.
- Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny provides the page image. The film is noticeably more pot-centric than the group's previous specials. Tenacious D themselves joke in the commentary that the film's message is that weed is friendship.
- Smiley Face, stars Anna Faris as a stoner who had a few too many marijuana cupcakes
- The Stoned Age
- Super High Me.
- The Wall.
- Withnail and I is a ruinously-heavey-drinking variant.
- Yellow Submarine, a psychedelic example from 1968.
- Your Highness is a stoner flick with a fantasy adventure plotline.
- Zardoz. John Boorman himself was high when he made the thing and it shows.