Film / Still Smokin
is a Cheech and Chong Sketch Comedy
Concert Film, with the wraparound story being that the duo has accidentally been invited to a film festival in Amsterdam because the organizers have them confused with Burt Reynolds and Dolly Parton
, who are the stars of the films being screened at that festival. The first half of the movie features filmed performances of skits by the duo and story segments featuring the duo Adam Westing
as themselves, with the final half of the movie devoted to a live concert performance in Amsterdam.
Still Smokin provides examples of the following tropes:
- Adam Westing: Cheech and Chong play the comedians Cheech & Chong, who aren't much different from their onscreen personas in their previous movies.
- All Men Are Perverts: Including the alien Chicano, Eddie Torress, The Extra Testicle
- Camp Gay: The Queer Wars skit.
- Continuity Nod: Fan-favorite characters like Blind Melon Chitlin', Harry & Margaret, Ralph & Herbie and the Old Man In The Park make appearances here for the first time on film.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Harry Palms (Chong), the masturbation champion of the world, appears during the Dopeathon '82 skit.
- Driven to Suicide: The film festival's show runner, when he comes to Cheech and Chong's suite late in the movie. note He tries to pry open the window, but can't get it open wide enough. Cheech talks him down, while Chong films it all.
- Drugs Are Bad: Parodied in one of the skits, in which Cheech plays Richard Pryor playing a drug dealer.
- Expy: Cheech is seen in character as an English rock star in a tu-tu and Mickey Mouse ears. It's obviously supposed to be Alice Bowie, but is not identified as such here (unlike in Up in Smoke, where Alice Bowie is merely a persona adopted by Pedro De Pacas, and in Get Out Of My Room, which has a similarly flamboyant English rock star, Ian Rotten, who is a completely different character from Alice Bowie).
- Telethon: Twistin Thenightaway (Cheech) hosts Dopeathon '82.