"Ha ha! Hey Sphinxie, I got yer riddle right here: What's hard in the morning, soft most of the day, and hard again all night?"
In Classical Mythology
encountered a Sphinx and was, famously, forced to solve the Riddle of the Sphinx
in order to pass. Ever since, it's been a tradition that all sphinxes ask riddles. So if you see a sphinx, be prepared for a game of Riddle Me This
The classic Riddle of the Sphinx
still appears occasionally, but most sphinxes will come up with their own new ones, since, let's be honest here, everyone knows the answer to the original
of Riddle Me This
. Related to Only Smart People May Pass
open/close all folders
- Shadowchasers mentions several sphinxes.
- The sphinx Athentia was a seer who gave advice to powerful individuals, but inflicted a "conundrum curse" upon them as a result, turning the recipient into a type of living riddle who could do nothing but try to solve it until he succeeded. Jamor Stormbringer challenged her to a game of riddles, offering his eternal servitude as a slave if he lost, if she would grant him immortality if he won. Too egotistical to believe she would lose, Athentia accepted, and the resulting contest lasted days. She missed one, but that was enough for Jamor to win. This was an important motivation for the villain in the original story, who was Athentia's daughter.
- It is briefly mentioned that one sphinx cheated because the answer to her riddle was "Kill Me." The other sphinxes admired her for being so clever and wanted to use her riddle, but sphinxes are not allowed to copy riddles. However, one sphinx thought her trick was dishonorable and helped the Shadowchasers capture her.
Film - Live-Action
- Mirrormask has gryphons and sphinxes, which are similar catlike creatures with human heads, but mixes up their properties. In the film, a gryphon guards the area known as Giants Orbiting, requiring Helena answer the classic Riddle (she succeeds by giving a literal answer) and stump him in return (she gives him something unsolvable and sneaks off while he's thinking about it). Meanwhile, the 'sphinxes' are ravenous beasts which speak seldom and pounce on anyone who seems vulnerable.
- Wario: Master of Disguise has a sphinx as the boss of the third level. It asks you a series of questions, and if you answer them wrong, it kills you.
- Fantasy Quest: A Sphinx leaps into your path and asks you a riddle. Unless you're playing the original, console game, you get to choose your answer from a list, so this is one of the game's easiest portions.
- In the Mystery Land board of Mario Party 2, Bowser is cast as the Bowser Sphinx (though he merely wears an Egyptian headdress and isn't winged or lionlike at all) who challenges all comers to identify a silhouette. The Superstar of the board identifies it easily.
- One of the tasks in Shadowgate is to give a Sphinx three objects that answer three riddles he gives.
- Chrono Cross has a Sphinx optional boss that you can beat through straight combat, or by correctly answering its riddles by hitting it with the proper color elements. The order of the answers to the riddles is the same as the order you need to use elements in the final battle to get the True Ending... not that there's any indication of this.
- Featured as interactive map objects in Heroes of Might and Magic 2, where Heroes visiting a Sphinx must answer the riddle asked or disappear, as if they had been defeated in combat or dismissed by the player.
- In an episode of Superfriends, the sphinx asked Batman and Robin, "What builds up castles and tears down mountains, makes some men blind and helps others to see?" The answer was "sand". The sphinx was a Sore Loser and attacked them anyway, but they quickly defeated it.
- In Sabrina: The Animated Series, a sphinx asks Sabrina and Chloe the Riddle of the Sphinx. Chloe answers "Man." Unfortunately, as it turns out, there's a magical nine-legged creature that fits the riddle a bit more literally.
- In an episode of Disney's Hercules, the Sphinx is a quizmaster, voiced by game show host Wink Martindale. His riddle was "What does a man do standing up, a woman sitting down, and a dog on three legs?" The answer is shake hands. note
- Kidd Video had the Pink Sphinx in one episode, who wakes up every thousand years and can grant a wish to whoever solves a riddle. The heroes intend to use the wish to escape to Earth, and while one of them succeeds in answering the riddle, he makes the mistake of trying to make two wishes at once. (The Sphinx is sort of a Literal Genie, and only grants the first one.)
- In the four-part "Smurfquest" episode of The Smurfs, where Grandpa Smurf led Papa Smurf, Smurf, Hefty, Handy, Greedy, Sassette (who had stowed away) to the "four corners of the world" to find the components to recharge the Long Life Stone, their second stop was apparently Egypt, where they had to deal with a sphinx like this. Sassette was actually the one who guessed the answer to the creature's riddle which was "a shadow"; probably a good thing she tagged along. However, Gargamel, who was secretly following them, couldn't guess it, and found himself being chased by the now-angry sphinx.
- One of the episodes of The Mummy: The Animated Series had the O'Conner family dealing with exactly that. After they shout out the correct answer, the attacking Sphinx promptly explodes.
- A riddling Sphinx was one of the Monsters of the Week the teenage protagonists faced in Extreme Ghostbusters. Said Sphinx's "human face" was actually a mask hiding a mishmash of mass of teeth, eyes and tentacles, which it only removed to drain the intelligence of anyone it deemed the brightest minds who failed to answer its riddle. At the end of the episode, Egon is able to answer the Sphinx's riddle, immediately sending it down a Villainous Breakdown since no one had answered it correctly before (apparently only Egon had bothered to read up on his Greek Mythology), and hence vulnerable to capture.