"And as he drove on, the rain clouds dragged down the sky after him for, though he did not know it, Rob McKenna was a Rain God. All he knew was that his working days were miserable and he had a succession of lousy holidays. All the clouds knew was that they loved him and wanted to be near him, to cherish him and to water him."Blessed With Suck is one of those tropes that comes in a few distinct flavors. Generally, it's when a character is given a special ability that seems to cause nothing but trouble:
- By far, the most common variation is that the writers have seen fit to give you a special power that is, to be frank, stupid or useless.
- In other, more extreme cases, your power is actually too dangerous to use. See also I'm Having Soul Pains.
- Sometimes your power sounds really, really cool at first, but it turns out to have a lousy limitation or weakness, control problem, lacks the Required Secondary Powers, or (in the worst cases) has very dangerous side-effects.
- Sometimes the blessing is actually beneficial - but extenuating circumstances have ruined the potential fun. For example, A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read, And Your Little Dog, Too!, Power-Upgrading Deformation or Mutant Draft Board.
- Often the original "blessing" turns out to be a curse when you stop to think about it, thanks to Exact Words, or not taking into account the intrinsic consequences. For example, Midas' touch. This is usually a Fantastic Aesop.
- Anime and Manga
- Comic Books
- Card Games
- Fan Works
- Films – Live-Action
- Live-Action TV
- Pro Wrestling
- Tabletop Games
- Video Games
- Web Comics
- Web Original
- Western Animation
- Real Life
- In a Dilbert strip, Dilbert's mother is visiting a psychic, but forgot her purse and thus couldn't pay. The psychic puts "The Curse of Competence" on her firstborn son, prompting Dilbert's mother to wonder why that would be a bad thing. As Dilbert (her firstborn son) finds out, when you're the only competent person in a world full of idiots, you'll be the one everyone asks to make things work.
Films — Animation
- Hercules: A teenage Hercules has superhuman strength but is very clumsy sometimes; Megara is apparently immortal, but is Hades' slave
- Rapunzel of Tangled. Oh sure, it's awesome to have hair that glows and heals any wound and reverses aging, but when you get kidnapped from your birth parents, and said hair grows 3 times as fast as regular hair, there are problems that can arise. For instance, it apparently takes 3 hours to brush her hair, and 6 hours to wash it. And with 70 feet of it by the time you're 18, it can also be a real drag (literally) to lug around. And yes, you could braid it to make walking easier, but then if it catches on anything, you're stuck.
- Wreck-It Ralph: "WHY DO I FIX EVERYTHING I TOUCH?!" Mr Fix It powers are cool and all until you're trying to break out of prison and your efforts are simply making the prison sturdier. Like a reverse This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman.
- Elsa in Frozen considers her powers this until she learns to control them. Having powers over ice and snow is cool. Nearly killing your little sister when you are both just children and years later accidentally putting your whole kingdom in eternal winter due to Power Incontinence is not.
- Moses from The Prince of Egypt is God's Chosen One, but he is forced to be the instrument of the 10 Plagues of Egypt.
- In Red vs. Blue, Simmons talks about terrible superpowers: the ability to fly, but only north, and being able to teleport only one foot at a time.
- Just how pervasive is this trope? Well, on Homestar Runner, Strong Bad got an email asking what he would do if he had the ability to transform. Strong Bad immediately assumes that he'd have to somehow be Blessed With Suck:
Strong Bad: If comic books, cartoons, and Sci-Fi Original Movies have taught me anything, it's that shapeshifting comes with a bunch of boring rules and restrictions that limit its potential Turn-Into-A-Bulldozer-Whenever-I-Wantity. You can turn into a machine gun but not bullets, contemporary jazz turns you back to normal, you can only turn into presents your grandma's knitted for you. Crap like that. For example, let's say I could turn into any species... OF BALLOON ANIMAL!!??