Abandon all hope, ye who reads this index, for all the things within are cursed
! Or curses...or just really bad things to have happen to you. But still! Beware...despair...and do other things that rhyme with "air"! Booooo...
The idea of a curse comes to us from some of the earliest writing
, and possibly from before that. In popular imagination, a curse is a powerful form of Functional Magic
, cast by a god
or a person with extensive knowledge of the arcane and willingness to make a deal with a devil
, placed upon an object, place, person, or group, and used to punish the caster's enemies with misfortune ranging from epic tragedy to biblical plagues to a series of minor annoyances. The term has also been used simply to describe a series of misfortunes that may be unrelated, or to highlight a downside of risk to an otherwise advantageous endeavor. While in the 'traditional' sense, curses have been largely relegated to Speculative Fiction
, they also show up in works on the realistic end of the Sliding Scale of Realistic Versus Fantastic
, religious texts, and, allegedly
in Real Life
- Artifact of Attraction - Everybody wants to get their hands on it, which is bad news for those who own it.
- Artifact of Death - Using this item will ultimately lead to your death.
- Artifact of Doom - This item is powerful and evil, and usually wants your soul.
- Barred from the Afterlife - A character has died, but can't enter heaven or hell.
- Blessed with Suck - A "blessing" that in practice feels more like a curse.
- Cartwright Curse - If you're the love interest of a character with this curse, you're not going to last long.
- Curse - An evil spell or other malediction, usually visited upon someone out of punishment or cruelty. The core of this index.
- Curse Escape Clause - A lot of curses provide an "out" of sorts. This is that "out."
- Curse That Cures - A sick or injured character is cured as a side effect of being Cursed.
- Curse Is Foiled Again - A broken curse brings good fortune upon those who did not deserve the curse.
- Cursed with Awesome - A "curse" that in practice turns out to be very, very useful indeed.
- Doom Magnet - If you're a friend, lover or even acquaintance of this character, your days are numbered.
- Evil Weapon - This weapon has a mind of its own, and wants to use you to work its evil will.
- False Innocence Trick - Falling for this can lead to curses.
- Flying Dutchman/Wandering Jew - This character is cursed to walk or sail the earth forever.
- Gone Horribly Wrong - Messing with the laws of nature and/or physics For Science! can have horrible consequences.
- Gone Horribly Right - Sometimes an experiment can succeed too well, having just as horrible consequences as going wrong.
- Gypsy Curse - You shouldn't have pissed off that old gypsy lady, because now she's laid a disproportionate curse on you and yours.
- Hereditary Curse - Not only are you cursed, but so are all of your descendants.
- Hulking Out - One of the most common forms of transformation, and usually runs up a huge clothes shopping bill.
- Indian Burial Ground - Some places are better left alone. If you try to mess with it...well, nice knowing you.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting - Transformation brought about by a curse, and which you have utterly no control over.
- Leaking Can of Evil - The evil may be sealed, but the area where it was sealed suffers supernaturally from its presence.
- The Little Shop That Wasn't There Yesterday - Your one-stop shop for all your supernatural needs. Just don't expect a returns policy.
- Magnetic Medium: I See Dead People...now they won't leave me alone.
- One Curse Limit - Once you are under a curse, you cannot be affected by another one.
- Plague of Good Fortune - Everything is going right for a change...just when you don't want it to!
- Priceless Ming Vase - It's rare, it's valuable, and it's worth a fortune. It's not going to survive.
- Doomed New Clothes - That new outfit you just spent a fortune on? Won't last five minutes.
- Watch the Paint Job - The rarer, more expensive and more precious a vehicle is, the less likely it is to survive the story intact.
- The Punishment - Punishing someone by turning them into a supernatural creature of darkness. Yeah, that's gonna go really well...
- Pyrrhic Victory - You've won, but at a ruinous cost.
- Sealed Evil in a Can - Often used to try to keep the result of The Punishment from destroying everything...until it's eventually released centuries later.
- Stupid Scientist - A supposedly intelligent person shows terminal Genre Blindness by Tempting Fate concerning something bad that is about to happen.
- Tempting Fate - You should never say some things, even in jest, because that is just asking for things to go straight to hell.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: A book containing knowledge that's dangerous to have.
- Who Wants to Live Forever? - When everyone you've known and love have died while you continue to live on, one thing is certain: immortality sucks.
- World-Wrecking Wave - A supernatural disaster that leads to everything going straight to hell.
- Wound That Will Not Heal - A supernaturally inflicted wound that will not heal by normal means.