TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Literature: Guild Hunter
is a series of Urban Fantasy
(with shades of Paranormal Romance
) books by Nalini Singh, who also writes Psy Changeling
It consists of:
- Angels' Dance (novella)
- Angels' Judgment (novella)
- Angels' Pawn (novella)
- Angels' Blood
- Archangel's Kiss
- Archangel's Consort
- Angel's Wolf (novella)
- Archangel's Blade
- Archangel's Storm
- Archangel's Legion
- Archangel's Shadows
Guild Hunter provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Elena. Comes with being a Guild Hunter.
- Alpha Bitch: Michaela, aka "Bitch Queen"
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Lijuan, by the end of the second book. No one has the slightest idea of what she has become.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: The way Angels' society works.
- Badass: All the main and supporting cast, really. Comes from them being Archangels, Angels, Vampires and Guild Hunters.
- Band of Brothers: The Hunters' Guild is very much this.
- Big Fancy House: Jeffrey Devereaux bought one after the event that shattered his family. Elena even nicknamed it the "Big House".
- Blue and Orange Morality: The angels generally stick to the "be feared but not hated" truism, because it's better in the long run. But God (or another Angel or Archangel) help you if you piss them off- they will take you down without a second thought. Wars between Archangels are to be avoided at all costs- the fallout is not pretty.
- Raphael vs. Uram in the first book tore up most of New York City. The entire Cadre vs. Zhou Lijuan in the second book made a crater where Beijing used to be.
- Blue Blood: Elena's father personnifies this trope, at least as far as a human can in this setting.
- Childhood Friends: Illium and Aodhan
- Children Are Innocent: To harm a child may well be the only true taboo Angelkind has left.
- Combat Pragmatist: Hunters in general, with Elena showing the most of this.
- Council of Angels: The Cadre of Ten, made up of the ten most powerful Archangels in the world. The number can dip as low as seven, but there's never meant to be more than ten; there's only so much of the planet, after all.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: What happens to anyone foolish enough to challenge an Archangel without being one themself.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Elena, Raphael, Dmitri, Jason and Ashwini particurlarly come to mind.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Raphael's special all-black room. Jason.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Both played straight and subverted with Elena's mother. While Marguerite was a wonderful mother up to the event that shattered her family, after that she became a nothing more than a shadow of herself, not standing up for her surviving daughters when they needed her and ultimately driving her to suicide.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: What almost happens to Elena at the end of the first book. Of course, it was in Raphael's arms.
- Eternal Love: Raphael and Elena
- Dmitri and Honor, completed with reincarnation
- Jason and Mahiya
- Janvier and Ashwini
- Elijah and Hannah
- Nadiel and Caliane, until the former's death
- Etiquette Nazi: Lijuan
- Family of Choice: The Guild is this to its Hunter, even the ones who already have perfectly functional families.
- Have You Seen My God?: Archangels apparently answer to no one but themselves and their fellows in the Cadre.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Illium and Aodhan
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Dmitri's very well hidden, but it exists!
- Immortality Seeker: The vast majority of vampires were this.
- Immortal Procreation Clause: Vampires over 200-years-old cannot have children.
- Inhumanly Beautiful Race: Angels vastly conformed to this trope.
- As for vampires, the older they got, the more beautiful they become.
- Interspecies Friendship: Raphael and Dmitri.
- Also, starting with book two, Elena and all her human friends.
- As of their respective Making, Vivek, Honor and Ashwini with all their human friends.
- Any angel-vampire friendship is this.
- Interspecies Romance: Raphael and Elena's starts as this.
- I Want Them Alive: The mission statement of the Hunter's Guild. Lethal force is used only as a last resort.
- The Jeeves: Montgomery
- Jerkass: Angels usually treat humans with contempt. Also, Elena's estranged father, Jeffrey Devereaux, who seems to go out of his way to fit this trope.
- Irony: Elena's father threw her out on the street because she was "Hunter-Born", but it turns out that he carried the "Hunter"-gene, and that his youngest daughter (with his second wife) is also Hunter-born.
- Judge, Jury, and Executioner: Angels are this to any vampire who signed a Contract with them.
- Lady-In-Waiting: The Archangel Neha has several of those.
- Lady of War: Any female Archangel is this.
- Light Is Not Good: Angels might look like incredibly beautiful humans... but they're not.
- Long Lived: Angels don't have a definite lifespan as they can't die naturally, and therefore tend to live a very long time.
- Also vampires, for similar reasons.
- Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex: Elena, a human, falls in love with Raphael, an Archangel. This trope is heavily implied.
- Mayfly-December Friendship: Any immortal-human friendship is this.
- Missing Mom: Elena's mother suicided when she was young; Raphael's had been Sleeping for centuries, at least until the third book.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The Archangel Neha, a.k.a. "Queen of Snakes" and "Queen of Poisons".
- Not So Different: They're immortal and super-powerful, but they bicker and fight among themselves like humans.
- Official Couple: For the series as a whole, Raphael and Elena.
- The Older Immortal: Caliane, an Ancient, is tens of thousands of years older than everyone else.
- One True Love: Raphael and Elena
- Dmitri and Honor
- Jason and Mahiya
- Janvier and Ashwini
- Elijah and Hannah
- One World Order: It's an angels' world, we just live here — and we'd better not forget that.
- Our Angels Are Different: Let's be clear: they are called "angels" only because they are winged beings. They have nothing to do with God or any kind of belief system whatsoever, even if some Archangels (such as Lijuan) would like you to believe otherwise. That being said, they are a very powerful and nigh-immortal species implied to have existed even before the dawn of humankind. They also produce a toxin that must be regularly discharged into somebody else or it drives them insane, thus they create vampires — from willing human populations.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Angels can turn humans into vampires, in exchange for a contract pledging 100 years of servitude. And if the vampires get any funny ideas about breaking the contract, they are reminded to Read the Fine Print, often forcefully. These vampires need blood, but they can stand direct sunlight and eat normal food in small amounts. They are not vulnerable to holy items (crosses, bibles, etc.). Younger vampires (under 200 years) can father mortal children with human women, but they cannot make more vampires; only angels can do that.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Lijuan's "Reborn"... *brrr*
- Outliving One's Offspring: Jeffrey Deveraux, Elena's father, whose two eldest daughters, Mirabelle and Arielle, died at the hand of a psychopathic vampire.
- Also Dmitri, whose children were killed by a psychopathic angel.
- And more generally, what will happen to any vampire whose children will not be Made.
- Personality Powers: The gifts Archangels received during the Cascade tend to reflect their nature. What this says about Lijuan is... terrifying.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Archangels are this.
- The Power of Love: Supposed in-universe (since no one really knows) to be the reason behind Elena's very unique Making.
- Really 700 Years Old: In the most extreme cases (the Ancients), angels can live several hundred thousands years, their lifespan having no natural limit. It also takes them a century to reach adulthood, so an angel will always looks considerably younger than his age.
- As for vampires, their Making slows down the aging process to the point where it becomes insignificant, so they never seems any older than the age at which they were Made.
- Reincarnation Romance: Dmitri and Honor, the latter being the reincarnation of the former's first wife and One True Love.
- Silk Hiding Steel: To the word, the way Favashi is described.
- Smart People Play Chess: Dmitri tends to play with other members of the Seven. None of them would be in Raphael's closest circle if they weren't smart.
- The Spymaster: Jason is Raphael's.
- Stronger with Age: Zig-zags on this. As a general rule, the older an immortal is, the stronger they are; Archangels, in general, are the oldest, strongest angels, but there are other factors as well- your lineage, natural events (like Cascades) and life experiences are all implied to have an effect on your power levels. As an example of this, Raphael is the youngest but one of the strongest of the Cadre and the de-facto leader, while Michaela, who is implied to be of a similar age, is much weaker. The same is true among lesser angels and vampires- Illium, considered young by angel standards, is on the verge of becoming an Archangel, whilst Anoushka, daughter of an archangel, stopped growing in power long before she was as old as he is.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Raphael
- Telepathy: One of Raphael's powers.
- Took a Level in Badass: Elena, who is transformed into an Angel at the end of the first book. This is Hand Waved as The Power of Love, since even the angels don't know why it happens.
- Tranquil Fury: Raphael. Running is useless.
- Trauma Conga Line: When Elena was a child, rogue vampire Slater Patalis tracked her to her house and broke in. He tortured her mother, and tortured and murdered two of her sisters. Elena and and her mother survived, but her mother committed suicide a few years later. Her father then blamed her, and disowned her when she became a Guild Hunter.
- Vampire Hunter: Organized by the Hunter's Guild, their main task is to bring back alive thoses vampires foolish enough to think they can escape their contract to their Angelic masters for punishment. Lethal force is only used in extreme cases, or to hunt down the fews who have given in to their bloodlust.
- The best Hunters are the "Hunter-Born" like Elena, who are stronger and faster than normal humans, and can track vampires by their scent like two-legged bloodhounds.
- Weapon of Choice: Sara's crossbow and Elena's knives.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Many humans are eager to become vampires, because they want eternal life and eternal youth. But for the angels and already-"Made" vampires, boredom starts to set in after a few centuries...or millenia. Angels have the option of hibernating for centuries (or millenia) in a near-comatose state, which they simply call "the Sleep". Vampires do not have this option.
- Wild Child: Naasir was this.
- Winged Humanoid: Angelkind. Duh.