Lets Play / Zerosaga 1
(Zero), also known as UltHaxor or UltHaxor1337 in other places, is a fairly recent Let's Player
who started off with the original Super Mario Bros.
, specifically on the Wii version of Super Mario All Stars
for the Super Nintendo (but played on a computer emulator). His style is fairly similar to that of many other let's players, such as Chuggaaconroy
. In addition to let's plays, he has made other videos, such as raps.
He has stated he plans to play a Pokemon game for every generation (his current list: Red, Crystal, Emerald, FireRed, Platinum, HeartGold, and Black, though this may change over time). Aside from that, nothing is known about his future projects.
Games he has played so far:
Tropes that apply to Zero and his videos:
- The Ace: In Minecraft: The Walls, Fury takes this role by winning the three-on-three and tying for Zero for the first two-on-two, as well as tying with Zero for most kills overall.
- Zero as well in Oracle of Seasons / Ages, breezing through the game with no problem.
- Aerith and Bob: In Minecraft: The Walls, you have Zero, R.L. Yoshi, SPRBridgett, Fury...and Frank and John. Justified, since those two are referred to by their real names rather than usernames like everyone else.
- Angrish: Sometimes dissolves into this when either annoyed or freaked out.
- Ascended Extra: R.L. Yoshi went from being a guest commentator in Super Mario Bros. 3 to appearing in just about all of Zero's Minecraft works.
- Attention Deficit Creator Disorder: Tends to have multiple projects going at once, with more in the works.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Literally interrupts himself midsentence to say "Ooh, mushroom!" or "Ooh, Fire Flower!"
- Awesome McCoolname: Ult Haxor note . Zero also counts.
- In Minecraft: The Walls, one of the players is called Fury.
- Berserk Button: He doesn't go berserk, per se, but Hammer Bros. annoy him greatly.
- Blatant Lies: He often says that he doesn't have anything to talk about, despite managing to talk as much as a regular let's player, if not more.
- Boring, but Practical: In Minecraft: The Walls, Zero gets tired of waiting for fire to kill Yoshi and just shoots him.
- Butt-Monkey: Zero is this for almost the entire duration of Super Mario Bros.
- He takes this role again during The Walls, alongside Yoshi, due to being The Ditz, and John, who dies first in the three-on-three and by being trapped in the first two-on-two.
- Captain Obvious: One of the Bug Catchers he fights in Pokemon Red. He even namechecks this trope.
Zero: (as the Bug Catcher) I lost. (as himself) Captain Obvious, AWAAAY!
- Catch Phrase: "MOMENTUM", which he tends to spout whenever he dies due to going too fast in Super Mario Bros.
- He often says "I refuse to accept that" or something similar when he uses a save state to undo a death, pretending the death didn't happen. This happens more and more as time goes on in Super Mario Bros. and his patience wears thin.
- "Get outta here!" to enemies as he kills them if they're causing him trouble.
- "THESE GUYS" / "THIS GUY".
- Challenge Seeker: He states that he plans to play difficult Mario ROM hacks in the future, including Kaizo Mario World, which is notoriously difficult.
- Also the fact that he's playing Lost Levels. Though he does it with save states, it still somewhat counts.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: R.L. Yoshi in Minecraft: The Walls. Also Fury, to a lesser extent.
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: In Pokemon Red, while fighting Brock, he manages to inflict the Burn status on Brock's Onix...only for Brock to use a Full Heal instantly. As in, in the middle of the turn, meaning he technically should have only been allowed to do that if he chose to use the Full Heal at the beginning, before Zero even attacked.
- Cross Player: Chooses to play as the female character in Pokemon Crystal, since the female protagonist is technically the "official" main character.
- Deadpan Snarker: Less than most let's players, but still there.
- Epic Fail: During Super Mario Bros., he manages to jump forward and fall into a pit. A pit that is only one block wide and is surrounded by two platforms he could've safely landed on. Makes more sense when you see it. Plus, this happens multiple times throughout the game.
- His gong show with World 5-3.
- Evil Laugh: Zero gives General Onox a great one.
- Exact Words: He starts using rewinds in world 8 of Super Mario Bros. and justifies it by saying that he vowed not to use save states and said nothing about rewinds.
- Flat "What.": His response at the end of Super Mario Bros. and Lost Levels when the game tells him to try a more difficult quest and play the game again.
- Funny Background Event: A variation in Minecraft: The Walls; it can't be seen through either Zero or RLYoshi's perspective, but Bridgett apparently sees one sheep push another sheep off the edge of the map and tells the guys about it, sarcastically calling it "true friendship".
Bridgett: I hope we don't do the same to each other.
- Gosh Dangit To Heck: Avoids swearing when possible. He lampshades this and states that it's because he just doesn't like swearing in general.
- Grammar Nazi: Towards Xeno; see It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY" below.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Temporarily breaks down after getting game over after game over on one specific level. Eventually reaches the point where he goes against his vow to not use save states during the main game.
- If I Can't Have You...: When Yoshi and Zero realize they can't mine the diamond ore in The Walls 2, they decide to just break it instead so John and Fury can't mine it.
- I Have Many Names: Zero, Zerosaga 1, UltHaxor (with or without the 1337); take your pick.
- Inverted in his actual let's plays, as he doesn't introduce himself with any name at all, though everyone calls him Zero (except Bridgett in The Walls, who calls him Haxor).
- Irony: In The Walls, Zero states that Yoshi's strategy seems to be to set up some traps, then just charge people. The round he says this in is the only round where Yoshi doesn't do either of those.
- Also, he calls Yoshi's trap-setting "strategic" and his charging "stupid". His trap-setting actually fails all the time, while his charging has actually succeeded previously.
- It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY": Xeno keeps pronouncing "Labrynna" the way it's spelled, leading to Zero correcting him and telling him to pronounce it as "Lab-ry-a-na".
- It Makes Sense in Context: In-universe example with the dual LP between Zero and Xeno; since both can be heard talking, but only one can be seen playing depending on whose side you're watching, you can often hear the other person talking about something that only makes sense if you're able to see what they're doing. Examples:
Xeno: Oh no, Maku Tree, you're turning different shades of colours!
Zero: Yep, just coming in here, bombing your walls, don't mind me, just doing my thing, yeah, here we go, stealing a little seed that you had in a secret room, yep, okay, I'm just getting out here now, okay thanks bye.
- L33t L1ng0: His Minecraft username is UltHaxor1337. To a lesser extent, just UltHaxor, due to the "haxor" part.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: At one point, he temporarily stops talking to play better, and ends up clearing a level he keeps having trouble with in one go.
- Madness Mantra: "Momentum, momentum, momentum..."
- My Hero Zero
- One of Us: Confirmed to be a fellow troper. Implied early on by lampshading the idea of Nintendo Hard difficulty by its name.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Played straight with Zero, Xeno, and Yoshi (though the latter has given his real name in his own videos). Averted with Frank and John. Subverted with Fury, whose real name is said a couple of times in the third round.
- And no idea how it's played for Bridgett, which may or may not be his real name, but it's part of his username.
- Only Sane Man: Bridgett in Minecraft: The Walls.
- Power Trio: In Minecraft: The Walls, he, Bridgett, and RLYoshi fit a few of these:
- Chromatic Arrangement: Based on their custom skins, Bridgett is red, Yoshi is blue, and Zero is green
- Freudian Trio: Yoshi is the Id, Bridgett is the Superego, and Zero is the Ego
- Knight, Knave and Squire: Zero is the Knight, Bridgett is the Knave, and Yoshi is the Squire
- Three Successful Generations: Yoshi is the Youth, Zero is the Adult, and Bridgett is the Elder
- Rage Quit: More like a Tranquil Quit, but this is how he ends Super Mario World The Lost Levels.
: Alright...you know what? Sorry, but I quit
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Zero and Xeno respectively.
- RLYoshi and Bridgett respectively in Minecraft: The Walls, and also Yoshi and Zero in both that and Super Mario Bros. 3.
- Save Scumming: Averted; he has access to save states, but doesn't use them at first during the main adventure of Super Mario Bros., only in the much more difficult aftergame (and the moment listed above under Heroic B.S.O.D., repeatedly).
- Played straight in Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 3, and the romhacks. However, he hasn't used them in any of the non-Mario games he's played so far.
- Schedule Slip: A few of his playthroughs suffer from this. Particularly the dual LP Oracle of Seasons / Oracle of Ages, which hasn't updated in a few months as of this writing.
- Shout-Out: Gives these to many other let's players, such as Uber Haxor Nova.
- Special Guest: Zero's friend Xenocurse joins him for the Oracle of Seasons dual let's play, as well as a co-commentator for part of Super Mario Bros. 3.
- Another friend of his, RLYoshi, co-commentates for the rest of Super Mario Bros. 3 when Xeno leaves. The two also collaborate for a Minecraft: The Walls playthrough, with a few other friends.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Downplayed in The Walls, when the only real idiot is Yoshi. Played straight in Tekkit when both Yoshi and Fury are insane.
- Take That!: Doesn't like Super Mario Bros. 2 due to it being just a ripoff of Doki Doki Panic, and he states this.
- Tempting Fate: Hilariously often.
- Too Dumb to Live: RLYoshi in Minecraft: The Walls builds a sniper tower...out of wood.
- Took a Level in Badass: Zero in Super Mario Bros. is an average player. Zero in Lost Levels onward is actually pretty damn awesome, partially due to his usage of save states.
- He also showed skill in Oracle of Seasons and The Walls that wasn't present in his first Let's Play.
- Yoshi showed some skill in The Walls 2 that wasn't present in earlier projects.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: Not Zero, but guest RLYoshi goes from being a joking, moderately sane person when co-commentating in Super Mario Bros. 3 to being a total Cloud Cuckoo Lander in Minecraft: The Walls. The weirdest part about this is that both of these are being uploaded side-by-side, so if one watched all of Zero's videos as they came out, they would see Yoshi switch back and forth between these personalities very frequently and noticeably. Though this may be justified in that Yoshi isn't actually playing in Super Mario Bros. 3, so naturally he wouldn't be shown as being as crazy as he was in The Walls. He also stated after the videos were put up that he was running on little to no sleep while recording The Walls, which may have been another factor.
- Verbal Tic: "But yeah..." Lampshaded in Pokemon Red.