- In the first Christopher Reeve film, Superman is being interviewed by Lois Lane on her apartment balcony. Regarding his x-ray vision, she jokingly asks what color underwear she's wearing, only for him to reply that he can't tell because the planters she happens to be standing behind apparently have a high lead content. This was forgotten for a few moments, but after she walks away for a moment, he suddenly informs her that her underwear is pink. She immediately steps back behind the planters... but also shyly asks if he likes pink.
- Superman has just broken into Luthor's underground lair.
Lex Luthor: Otis, take the gentleman's cape.
[Otis approaches Superman, who glares at him]
Otis: I don't think he wants me to, Mr. Luthor.
- Also Hackman's cavalier, ad-libbed "Come in, it's open" just before.
- "Otisburg? Otisburg? OTISBURG?!?!?!"
- "Ms. Teschmacher has a place of her own. It's a little bitty place." (Perhaps Otisburg is like Smallville.)
- What sells the scene is the fact that the "S" in "Otisburg" is written backwards.
- "Something wrong with the elevator?"
- When Superman shows up during his opening night to save Air Force One when an engine blows out. The pilot's expression as he looks out the window, sees a guy in a cape holding up the wing, and tells the rest of the crew "Just fly. We got... something... I ain't saying what, just... trust me."
- In fact, a lot of the reactions people have when Clark suits up for the first time:
Pimp: Say Jim, that is a BAD outfit! (Supes flies off) Whoa!
Desk Sergeant (finding a boat loaded with tied-up robbers on his doorstep with a caped hero flying into the night): First drink's on me, lemme go get my hat...
- When he interupts the crooks on the boat, one of them comes up behind and hits him in the back with a crowbar, only to end up standing there as it vibrates in his hands.
Superman: Bad vibrations?
- The scene in the original film where Luthor explains to Superman that he'll never stop both missiles, because one's aimed at Hackensack and the other at the San Andreas Fault:
Miss Tessmacher: But Lex, my mother lives in Hackensack!
Lex Luthor: *checks his wristwatch, looks back up at her and shakes his head 'no'*
- An earlier exchange between them:
Luthor: Miss Tessmacher, when I was six years old, my father said to meó
Luthor: (cheerfully) Ha ha. Before that.
- Superman attempting his classic costume costume change in a phone booth, only to find it's just a phone on a post. It can be pretty weird to realize the concept was being mocked as early as 1978.
- From the helicopter rescue, this absolutely classic exchange:
Superman: Easy, miss - I've got you.
Lois: You - you've got me ... (looks down) WHO'S GOT YOU?!?!?