- Thorn successfully using Fone Bone as a weapon. Arguably doubles as a Crowning Moment Of Awesome.
- When Phoney learns the hard way that the Valley runs on the barter system: "Smiley, why did you keep giving me beer? You know I don't carry dairy products!"
- Made even funnier when you see that he had been asked for eggs!
- The revelation of just what The Hooded One's omen to go after Phoney was. It was very, very, VERY subtle:
PHONCIBLE P. BONE WILL GET YOUnote
Fone Bone: As soon as we save him from this sacrifice, let's kill him!
- And Fone Bone's reaction.
Phoney: You chased me all over Kingdom Come because of that?! O boy. Fone Bone is gonna be cranky when he finds out about this.
- And before that, Phoney's reaction:
- Smiley is the living embodiment of this trope. Especially in one particular chapter added to certain compilations in which he and Lucius fix Grandma Ben's roof.
- Bartleby gets one in the 4th book (The Dragonslayer), when Smiley offers him a sandwich. Cue a friggin massive toothy maw biting onto the sandwich, with Smiley still holding onto it. And then Smiley tells him to sit. And he does. With Smiley's hand "still" in his mouth.
- EVERYTHING involving the Two Stupid Rat Creatures, but especially during their temporary truce with Fone Bone & Smiley Bone in the 5th book. Eventually, the chaotic events lead to this gem:
Rat Creature #1: This is insane!Rat Creature #2: It's stupid!Rat Creature #1: I can't really argue with that, but I feel like I should.Smiley Bone: Carry on, Fone Bone! Make a stupid decision!
- The quiches. Dear Lord, the quiches.
- Possibly one of the most hilarious moments in the entire series is when Phoney Bone wakes up at Old Man's Cave with Jonathan & Gran'ma Ben, along with almost everything immediately following it. It goes roughly like this:
Phoney Bone, who is desperately holding onto Jonathan's collar with a smiling Gran'ma Ben next to him: Jon, please tell me Gran'ma Ben isn't Queen of the Valley! PLEASE—Gran'ma Ben, cheerfully: I command you to take a walk with me.Phoney Bone, quietly: Oh, I'm beggin' ya, man...Jonathan Oaks, nervously: Um, sorry. She's the Queen.
- Phoney gets a five-page sequence in the third issue which are pretty much one Crowning Moment Of Funny after the other, starting with his famous "God, I pity me" speech, and then in rapid succession his first meetings with the Red Dragon, Ted the Bug and Gran'ma Ben.
- Every time the words "Stupid, stupid rat creatures" are uttered.
- The first time in particular is special. Says Fone Bone, "Those rat creatures would have to be pretty stupid to follow me out on this frail, little branch." One frame later... well the Running Gag is born.
- Ted the Bug "helping" Smiley to pull Fone Bone out of the hole he's stuck in.
- The entirety of the Great Cow Race...especially when the Rat Creatures collide with the racing cows and come out of the woods with them. Not to mention flying past Gran'ma Ben when she wins the race.
- Gran'ma Ben telling Fone and Phoney to get some chickens prepared for dinner...
Gran'ma Ben: I want you boys to catch yourselves four chickens! When Smiley's got that water nice an' hot, dip th' birds in it! I want every one of them feathers gone, so soak 'em good! I better be smellin' wet feathers back here! Poo! There's a smell you don't forget too quick!Fone Bone: Ohmygosh. We're gonna boil 'em alive?!Gran'ma Ben: Of course not, dear. You're gonna cut their heads off first.Phoney: With what?Gran'ma Ben: With th' hatchet.Phoney: Uh... Are they gonna... y'know... Run around the yard? Squirtin' blood an' stuff?Gran'ma Ben: What's th' matter? Ain't you boys ever chopped th' head off a chicken before?Phoney, Fone Bone: Uh... uh...Gran'ma Ben: Oh, fer heaven's sakes! If ya can't handle a little flappin' around, just grab th' chicken by th' neck an' give her a good crank over your head — that'll kill her first!Phoney, Fone Bone: *Jaw Drop, look like they'll be sick, then faint.**Beat*Gran'ma Ben: *grabbing a hatchet and marching out of panel* Hmmf. City boys!
- On their way back to the Barrelhaven, Phoney, Smiley, and Lucius are attacked by Rat Creatures. Smiley saves them- taking them over a cliff, where the land in a pond. Just as their getting their bearings, it starts raining.
Smiley: Like what?
- The look on Phoney's face when he realizes that Lucius has outwitted him at the Cow Race.
- One time, Fone Bone asks the Rat Creatures on which word rhymes with "toes" while writing a love poem. One of them asks, "Potatoes?" Hilarity Ensues:
- The ending to the Cow Race. As they approach the finish line, the Bone Cousins have led a swarm of Rat Creatures into the race, causing a huge stampede of cows and Rats. And then Gran'ma Ben just pushes herself out in front to reach the finish, shouting, "I won!" She then watches silently as the stampede passes by her. Once everything quiets down, she declares, "Hot dignity dog! That was the best darn Cow Race ever!"