Parallel Legends is intended to be a trilogy of Zelda
fan fics, building to a climactic end of the cycle of reincarnation that Link, Zelda and Ganon seem to be trapped in.
The original, Parallel Symphony
, is the one that took over Roland X
's life for two months while the story wrote itself.
Din, Nayru and Farore, it was like being possessed... *cough* ahem, anyway, it's one possible tale of how the alternate Ocarina universe — the one that begins at the end of Ocarina of Time
— might have played out, eventually leading to Twilight Princess
. Even given standard artist's neurotic tendencies, the consensus appears to be that it turned out pretty well. Warning, though: major Shipping
The sequel, Parallel Hearts
, is a more straightforward followup to the aforementioned Twilight Princess. More Link/Zelda shipping, and the second half is almost literally overrun by Super Smash Brothers
, but it has its share of fans.
While both stories stand on their own (though Parallel Hearts makes more sense if you read Parallel Symphony first), the last story will hopefully be Parallel Memories, set millenia after Link to the Past and the "final" defeat of Big Bad
Ganon. Link's wish on the Triforce has created a paradise...but not even the Triforce can suppress the will to power forever. Evil is rising once more, and The Hero
will be called to face it one last time...
Tropes Specific To Parallel Legends:
- Badass in Distress: Zelda. She gets kidnapped in Symphony and Hearts alike, but proves vital to defeating Ganon after both rescues.
- Beta Couple: Midna and Dark Link. Arguably Ship Mates.
- Brainwashed: This is already Twinrova's schtick, but Parallel Symphony implies that this is how Koume and Kotake raised Ganondorf.
- Crisis Crossover: The second half of Parallel Hearts, taking the Subspace Emissary story from Brawl and running with it.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Vital to Zelda's Batman Gambit during the climax of Symphony.
- Played straight with Vaati being unable to understand why Zelda will not return his affections.
- Forceful Kiss: Vaati to Zelda in Hearts. He doesn't exactly enjoy that she doesn't kiss him back.
- Heroic Resolve: Link, appropriately enough. Do not mess with Zelda, no matter how Badass you think you are.
- Heroic RROD: Link exhausts himself almost to the point of immobility after an epic Boss Rush.
- Heroic Second Wind: Again, Link (and again, do not mess with Zelda). See Heroic Resolve.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Link. He doesn't believe that he can take credit for his accomplishments when he's The Chosen One and the gods have dumped all kinds of awesome powers and cool toys on him.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Vaati to Zelda in both stories. It doesn't end well either time.
- Reincarnation Romance: Link and Zelda, repeatedly and shamelessly.
- Took a Level in Badass: Played with, but largely played straight with Zelda. While she doesn't become quite as Badass as her counterpart in Timeline A, she can still open up an economy-sized can of whoop-ass as Sheik. She's also a phenomenally powerful wizard as Adult!Zelda.
- What Beautiful Eyes: Zelda. They make Link weak in the knees. "Those eyes."