"I am Vegeta, Prince of all Saiyans! I am the legend, the Super Saiyan terror of your nightmares! I am death, brought to life!"
"Vegeta's head jerked again. This time, a flash of golden-yellow light rippled through his hair and vanished as his head dropped again. The sudden flash seemed to encapsulate that moment, freezing it in time."
For those who wanted to see the Prince of all Saiyans reclaim his title, you're in luck with Bringer of Death
, a Dragon Ball
fanfiction co-written by npberryhill and davidstarlingm.
Starting in the the Frieza arc during the climatic battle with Frieza, shortly before Vegeta's imminent death, the Saiyan Prince unlocks the legendary Super Saiyan form, an event that carries tremendous effects on the course of history
. From there, the story chronicles the adventures of Vegeta, having become the first Super Saiyan of his era.
Partially canon-compliant with Dragon Ball Multiverse
The tropes appearing in Bringer of Death are:
- Achilles' Heel: Android 16 delivers a devastating blow which does such significant damage to Vegeta spine that not even advanced medical technology could completely heal it. It requires a metal substitute that restores normal functionality, but leaves him unable to channel ki effectively into it, making his defenses weak in that area.
- This saves him from getting absorbed by Cell early on
- It also gets abused, though unknowingly, by Cell in the final battle.
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Back Stab: Imperfect Cell ambushes Goku and attacks him with a Death Beam through the chest and then fires a massive Kamehameha before Goku can react, seemingly destroying him. Unbeknownst to Cell, Goku survives.
- Battle Trophy: A particularly gruesome example in the form of Frieza and Cooler's severed heads, affixed to the front of Vegeta's Cool Ship.
- The Berserker: Gohan becomes this after Super Perfect Cell kills his father and takes out Krillin and 18. Complete with Attack! Attack! Attack! and No Sell features.
- Book Ends: Title Drops happened during the first chapter when Vegeta ascended to Super Saiyan during the fight with Frieza, and it happens again on chapter 78 after his sacrifice to destroy Cell.
- Butt Monkey: Yamcha, especially when he fights C47. The authors have flat out stated they don't like Yamcha and his status as Butt Monkey will probably not improve.
- Calling Your Attacks: It's Dragon Ball Z. Of course this trope applies.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Vegeta vs. Frieza after Vegeta is brought back to life
- Vegeta vs. Garlic Jr.
- Fourth Form!Cold vs. Goku and Vegeta
- C47 vs. Wemu
- ASSJ!Vegeta vs. Imperfect Cell
- Goku vs. Slug
- ASSJ!Goku vs. Semi-Perfect Cell
- C47 vs. Yamcha
- Android!Krillin vs. C47
- Vegeta vs Broly and then reversed when Broly achieves his Legendary Form.
- And then reversed AGAIN when Vegeta achieves Super Saiyan 2.
- Goku vs. Frieza Jr.
- Perfect Cell vs Goku and Trunks
- Super Saiyan 2 Gohan vs Perfect Cell
- Krillin vs Semi-Perfect Cell
- Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta vs Super Perfect Cell.
- Special case since the majority was Vegeta's favor, and then the minority, Cell's, when he luckily hit Vegeta's Achilles' Heel.
- For Want of a Nail
- From Bad to Worse: The Saiyan Saga's primary antagonist has just unlocked the Super Mode that The Hero is supposed to unlock first... and he's the only thing standing in the way of that arc's Big Bad. Shit.
- Practically a Running Gag. Vegeta is the only thing standing between Frieza's servants and Cooler's takeover. Then, Vegeta is the first responder to King Cold, who plans to conquer and sell the Earth. Then, in one future, Vegeta kills Goku and is later killed by the Androids. In the Androids timeline, Hoi causes the release of Hirudegarn, and the events that transpire lead to Tapion's death and eventually Future Gohan's.
- Anybody who knows the series knows what the Android Saga inevitably leads to, despite the numerous victories of the Z-Fighters and even the gradual change of heart from the past versions of 17 and 18
- This is destined to happen anytime Cell survives something that should kill him.
- Heel-Face Turn: Piccolo III, Broly
- Heroic Sacrifice: Vegeta blows himself up to finally destroy Cell.
- Hope Spot: You may as well call the entire Cell Saga 'Hope Spot Saga.'
- Idiot Ball: Goku failing to check if Cell definitiely died after he self-destructed on Namek (Which is rendered indestructible). This is especially jarring after all the times that Cell has survived situations that should have killed him before.
- Infinity+1 Sword: Future Trunks' sword that he gained after he was forced to kill Tapion has the power to cut through any living evil in a similar manner to Spike the Devil Man's Devilmite Beam. It doesn't work on the androids due to their mechanical nature.
- In Spite of a Nail: Just like DBZ canon, murderous androids are released and a dark future is formed. In fact, many of the same antagonists and battles happen, almost as if the universe is course-correcting. Naturally, this includes many instances of Necessary Fail.
- Original Character:
- In response to Vegeta, Goku and Trunks defeating King Cold, Dr. Gero created another energy absorbing android: Android 21.
- The author created C47, an droid companion to Vegeta who is essentially a Dragonball version of Knights Of The Old Republic's HK-47. C47 later had the components of the defeated Android 21 incorporated into his system but was limited by the lack of a battery. However, after Android 16 was destroyed in the battle with Cell, Bulma and Oniya incorporated 16's energy source into him, making him as strong as 16 was.
- Vegeta gains a ship appropriately entitled "Bringer of Death". He gets a crew to go with it, but most notable is the ship's engineer/first mate Oniya. Romance begins to bloom between Vegeta and Oniya and for a bit it looks as if Oniya will replace Bulma as Vegeta's love interest. This is proven false as soon as the crew lands on Earth when Oniya is killed by a black mist infected Yamcha. Though Vegeta briefly grieves over her death and Oniya is later revived, Vegeta and Bulma develop their romance during her death and the subplot is quickly dropped.
- Wemu, Cui's brother. He's just as strong as Cui was and gets killed just as easily by C47.
- Monster of the Week: Garlic Jr. appears for one chapter, gets absolutely destroyed by Vegeta and hasn't been seen or mentioned since.
- Shown Their Work: A Meta Example: David applies his knowledge of physics in attempting to, as accurately and effectively as possible while complying with the knowledge supplied from the manga, manga supplements, as well as Toriyama himself, explain many of the things that happen in DBZ. And they do, indeed, make quite a lot of sense. This doubles as a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Super Mode: The Saiyans have Super Saiyan, Freiza and Cooler have their forms and King Cold uses his Third and Fourth forms in his fight against Vegeta, Goku and Trunks.
- Title Drop: Vegeta's flagship is named as such. Also appears in the first few chapters and chapter 78 whenever Vegeta severely beats or kills his opponent.
- Took a Level in Badass: Krillin after Bulma turns him into an Android to save his life.
- Wham Episode
- Why Won't You Die?: Cell has survived so many near death situations (at least thrice that of the official show) that viewers AND main cast are practically screaming this at the top of their lungs.