Darth Wiki: Kouden Sentai Rocknger
"Rocking spirits will never die! Kouden Sentai Rock'nger!"Kouden Sentai Rock'nger
(High-Voltage Squadron Rock'nger) is a Super Sentai
fanfic by Andy LA
Cruising through solar systems and leaving a trail of conquest and annihilation, the Technological Empire Psychotronia makes it to Earth, aiming to seize the planet, assimilate its data and then destroy it. However, unbeknownst to them, they have been trailed by a survivor of one of the previously destroyed planets, AKG-KT5M, a humanoid robot whose body serves as repository to the powers of the only fighting force to ever stand up to them before: the Rock'ngers.
Even though they had been killed in action, AKG-KT5M gathers their powers and, faking her own deactivation, uses most of her power reserves to create a shield strong enough to resist the explosion of her homeworld, Cygnus X1. After drifting on the cosmic dust cloud that the planet had become, she regains awareness and trails the invaders, hoping to find warriors able to become the next Rock'ngers... Who just so happened to inhabit Earth, and were not exactly warriors: two high school students and a college freshman, later joined by two other high schoolers. Due to them being musicians in the same rock band, their brain waves matched the previous Rock'ngers very closely, and so they were drafted right as Psychotronia started attacking Earth. Now, as the new Rock'ngers these three (later five) youngsters fight to ward off Psychotronia, dealing with teenage life and keeping their band together in the process.
- Shigeki Kawakami / Guitar Red: Leader of the team. Lead guitarist of hi/VOLT. Hot-Blooded, as is standard fare for heroes, and always keeps a promise until the end.
- Satsuki Kirishima / Bass Yellow: The Lancer. Bassist, and former vocalist. A childhood friend of Shigeki, and a tough-as-nails Tomboy, though she has a soft spot for...
- Hideki Otani / Rhythm Blue: The Smart Guy. First drummer, and later, rhythm guitarist. A student at Waseda University, Shigeki and Satsuki formed the band with him as their club activity, when they first met one year ago.
- Tatsumi Shirai / Drum Black: The Big Guy. Drummer. A transfer student from Fukuoka, who happens to be a skateboarding delinquent. Despite his harsh exterior, he has a staunch sense of loyalty.
- Lisa Shinohara / Vocal Pink: The Chick. Vocalist. She seems to be a bit of a ditz, but only plays the part; more because she thinks it's cute than as some form of Obfuscating Stupidity. Seems to be half-American, judging by her Surprisingly Good English, but no one knows for sure.
- AKG-KT5M: The team's mentor. Everyone just shorthands her name to "Aki". Due to her looking like just a regular girl wearing a suit of armor, the others can easily pass her off as an acquaintance by putting enough clothes on her (or a cosplay addict, if she's not wearing anything), despite her obvious inhuman stiffness.
- Hinako Takayama: Shigeki and Satsuki's homeroom teacher. She eventually finds out about their heroic forays, but chooses not to tell anyone.
- Makie Kawakami: Shigeki's mother, who treats him more as a little brother, probably because she had him young.
Technological Empire Psychotronia
- Supreme Deity Computergod: The Big Bad. A mainframe who gained sentience ages ago, in a distant galaxy, and started its conquering campaign from there. Seeks to consume the entire universe and remake it on his image.
- Incursion Commander Neoknight: The Dragon. A robotic entity clad in black armor, which makes him look like a cross between a medieval knight and a Space Marine. Has glowing eyes that can be seen through the helmet visor's grates.
- Destruction Expert Detharika: The Dark Chick. A gynoid whose specialty is, well, destruction. And she loves what she does.
- Tactical Operator ASX: The Evil Genius. It feeds the Psychotronia information on the planets they are aiming to consume, as well as projecting and programming the Annihilation Agents.
- Machineheads: The Mooks.
Recurring Super Sentai tropes include:
- All Your Powers Combined: Jam Session, an attack only possible when the team of five is assembled.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: "Rock'n Change!"
- Calling Your Attacks
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience
- Combination Attack: As mentioned above, Jam Session.
- Finishing Move: Dynamite Destroyer, which is their BFG.
- Five-Man Band: Even with a similar analogy to that on the main page!
- Humongous Mecha: The Rock'n Warrior. The bad guys also use one right off the bat in Track 3, prompting the use of the good guys's HM, and leading to Make My Monster Grow while giving the trope's usage an explanation.
- Combining Mecha: It is formed by three mecha: the Wild Cycle (a motorbike), the Gear Hauler (a van), and the Red Hot Rod (a convertible automobile).
- Transforming Mecha: Each of these has Transformers-like forms, that can fight independently.
- In the Name of the Moon:
Shigeki: "Battling in a blaze of glory! Guitar Red!"
Satsuki: "Fighting to the sound of our tune! Bass Yellow!"
Hideki: "Never turn back, never surrender! Rhythm Blue!"
Tatsumi: "Even if we fall, we'll get back up! Drum Black!"
: "For a sweet, rocking world! Vocal Pink!"
Shigeki: "Rocking spirits will never die! Kouden Sentai..."
- Magical Foreign Words
- Make My Monster Grow: The Monsters of the Week here follow a principle similar to the Bikkurium in Go-Onger: they are all programmed with a sub-routine which is triggered as soon as their destruction is imminent. It triggers an explosive component filled with nanobots, and the ensuing blast serves as a catalyst for these nanobots to rapidly expand and restructure the monster's original shape on a larger scale.
- Motif: Rock and roll and many of the things it entails.
- There's also school and teenage life thrown into the mix. So it's prone to Slice of Life moments.
- Mythology Gag: The whole thing about school and teenage life above is a deliberate throwback to Kousoku Sentai Turboranger and Denji Sentai Megaranger.
- "On the Next Episode of..." Catch Phrase: "Let's Rock'n!"
- Regular Caller: Either Aki or Hideki, who is the only person in the team to actually live in Tokyo.
- Robot Buddy: Aki.
- Supervillain Lair: The Death Angel, Psychotronia's ship stealthily parked on the Earth's orbit.
- Theme Music Power-Up
- Transformation Trinket: The Rock'n Bracers, breaking the cellphone trend (even though Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters beat them to the punch).
- Two Girls to a Team: Since Lisa joins the team.
- Weapon of Choice
Specific tropes include: