The Main Cast
ENO! SHIMA! DON!
An anxious, red-headed youth who just moved to Enoshima island with his grandmother, Keito. He is probably the main character.
- Audience Surrogate: At the end of each episode, he takes on a narrative role; the narrations show that the events of Tsuritama have already happened and Yuki is reflecting on all of the events as the audience watches them unfold.
- But Not Too Foreign: He's one quarter-French and three quarters-Japanese, he gets his French blood from his grandmother, Kate.
- Demon Head: When he gets really nervous his face becomes like this, but he can't help it. It's really very embarrassing for him.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Does this to Haru after he makes everyone leave Enoshima to protect them from Urara and he falls into a state where he believes everything is pointless in trying to stop Urara, a slap from Yuki snaps him out of it.
- Japanese Pronouns: "Ore" which is pretty surprising, considering how shy he is ("ore" being a more arrogant way of referring to oneself).
- New Transfer Student: He's transferred many times, and because of this and his shyness, he never really made any friends.
- Not Good with People: He gradually gets better, but still has outbursts of social anxiety.
- Parental Abandonment: It's never mentioned what happened to them, but for one reason or another, Yuki has been raised by his grandmother.
- Shrinking Violet: At first.
- Took a Level in Badass: Watch and see.
- Red-Headed Hero
Voiced by: Miyu Irino
(Japanese), Clint Bickham (English)
I'm Haru! I'm an alien!
An alien from an unspecified planet who decided to become Yuki's friend and fish together, with or without Yuki's agreement. He transfers to Yuki's class on the same day as him, and even moves into his house. Claims to be saving the world from...something.
I'm only going to explain this once.
The "Fishing Prince" of Enoshima who has been a dedicated fisher since he was a child. He teaches Yuki and Haru to fish; a real test of his patience. Seems to have some issues with his well-meaning father. He is also in Yuki and Haru's class.
Akira Agarkar Yamada
A mysterious half-Indian working for an even more mysterious organization known as "Duck." He is interested in Haru's motive for coming to Earth, and keeps a close eye on him. He is always with his co-worker, a duck named Tapioca, and can understand his speech. He later transfers into class with the others, despite being twenty-five years old.
- But Not Too Foreign: He's half-Indian and half-Japanese.
- The Comically Serious: At one point he even seems to break down and be in physical pain from a joke the old priest made.
- Heel-Face Turn: Not that he was ever evil.
- Ineffectual Loner: Natsuki thinks he is one of these for following them around. He later becomes a true member of the group.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Let's Get Dangerous: Yoga...
- New Transfer Student: And when he transfers, his age and refusal to leave his pet duck at home makes him even more of a spectacle than Yuki's awkwardness or Haru's coming to class with a fishing rod and introducing himself as an alien.
- Nice Turban
- Not So Stoic: He normally has a calm-disposition in the world strangeness and silliness around him. However, he does break his stoicism from time to time for laughs.
- Older than They Look: He's 25-years-old, being eight years older than Yuki, Haru, and Natsuki, but he doesn't look older than 17 when with them, just really tall.
- Speaks Fluent Duck
- Tsundere: When it comes to denying that he wants friends.
A white duck who works for the international extraterrestrial-investigation organization Duck. Although she can only quack, she is as intelligent as a human and very dedicated to her cause.
Major Secondary Characters
Voiced by: Fumi Hirano
(Japanese), Allison Keith (English)
Yuki's grandmother. A French horticulturalist and a traveler, she is patient, motherly, and wise, and above all, very laid-back to contrast Yuki's tightly-wound mannerisms. Seems to be a good judge of character.
Haru's sister. Still a Cloud Cuckoolander
like the rest of her species, but much more serious and purpose-driven and less happy-go-lucky and touristy than her brother. Isn't sure Yuki is the man for the job.
Voiced by: Daisuke Hosomi (Japanese), David Wald (English)
That angry guy in a pink shirt
who usually hangs around in the bait shop. He owns a fishing boat that Yuki, Haru and Natsuki work on during summer vacation, and is actually not
always angry or scary. In love with Misaki.