open/close all folders
The Spider of Night, the Dark Power in the South, and ruler of the Dark Land. Originally a high-ranking servant of Morgoth, Ungoliant is now the most powerful being in the southern regions of Arda.
- Accent Adaptation: Speaks with Arda's equivalent of an Irish accent.
- Ascended Extra: Originally only appearing in two chapters of The Silmarillion, Ungoliant is now the focus of her own story.
- Big Bad
- Bishounen Line: Bears a number of somewhat more humanoid features than what is implied in the Tolkien legendarium.
- '80s Hair: Has a long mane of prickly hair that resembles a mullet.
- Eldritch Abomination
- Evil Albino: From the neck up, at least. Her face, neck, lips, and hair are all white, and her eyes are red. However, the rest of her body is extremely dark in color.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Played straight, Subverted, and Averted, depending on the minions and subjects in question.
- Large and in Charge
- The Noseless: Instead of having a nose, her nasal cavity is opened. She can still smell perfectly, though.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Eight of them.
- Villain Protagonist
- Villainous Glutton
The Underlord of Mórenorë is an extremely powerful demigod that loyally serves Ungoliant as her lieutenant in Arvalin. He is perhaps one of the most frightening things that once would find in her service.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: His body is naturally covered in a thick layer of strange spiked armor, and is very unusual in shape. Once such example is the fact that he has a distinct lack of traditional lips, instead having two sets of teeth: A set of thin needle-like teeth along the gums, and a flexible set of mandible like-spikes that protrudes from the outer side of his jaws.
- Black Knight: His aforementioned outer body.
- Dual Wielding: Wields two schmitars in battle.
- Guttural Growler/ Soft-Spoken Sadist: Speaks in a very raspy, drawling voice.
A black cold-drake from the Far North of Arda, mother of Merkampa and Piutalamba, and the only Dragon in Mórenorë during the late First Age. She later becomes a high-ranking minion of Ungoliant, and even becomes the mistress of her own company of soldiers.
- Accent Adaptation: To emphasize her origins from the Far North, Naikamil is intended to speak with the equivalent of a thick Scandinavian accent (preferably Danish or Swedish) in Servants.
- An Ice Person: Since she is a cold-drake, she has a body well-suited for cold environments.
- Ascended Extra: Originally an obscure dragon mentioned in a module for Middle-earth Role Playing , Naikamil is now a major character in The Servants of Ungoliant.
- Break the Haughty
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Generally favors this, depending on her mood.
- Compelling Voice: She is a Dragon, after all. This also leads to...
- Dark Action Girl
- The Dragon: To Ungoliant. Also literally, since she is a cold-drake.
- Evil Matriarch
- Genius Bruiser: She is essentially built like a war machine, but has a photographic memory, is an expert of her fellow dragons and other creatures of Melkor, and gracefully exhibits her sentience in her mind, speech, and body language.
- Grim Up North: Where she hails from.
- Lantern Jaw of Justice: A female, villainous, and non-humanoid example. Naikamil's lower jaw is not only large, but so strong and heavy that she can use it to crush rocks, ice, and even human beings with little effort.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Her name translates to "Mother of Pain".
- Our Dragons Are Different: Being a cold-drake, Naikamil can neither fly nor breathe fire. However, since her mother was an ice-drake (a wingless dragon with the ability to spit frozen water), she is built somewhat differently from other cold-drakes, and capable of spitting a jet of water several meters away.
- Whip It Good: Like all cold-drakes, Naikamil has a long, whip-like tail, and she definitely knows how to use it.
A race of Men native to Mórenorë. They also act as Ungoliant's primary Mooks on the mainland and in the Islands of Ormal. The Darklanders native to northern Arvalin are known as Delduthlings.
- Ambiguously Grey: The Delduthlings have features on their faces and bodies reminiscent of other races of Men in Arda (slantednote dark-colored eyes, pale skin, dark, wild hair), but they still have features that distinguish them from the Men of Middle-earth. It is as though they are their very own race.
- Badass Baritone: Overlapped with Vocal Dissonance. A recurring trait among male Darklanders is their deep voices, which makes them appear sound older than they truly are. This is due to puberty occuring much earlier in their youth than most Men.
- Badass Normal
- Child Soldiers: Most Darklanders that act as warriors are inclined to be teenagers and young adults, especially those that serve in the Islands of Ormal.
- Cloudcuckoolander/ The Comically Serious: Their personalities are inclined to be either of these.
- Combat Pragmatist
- Dark is Not Evil: They're not necessarily malevolent in nature. They just so happen to be associated with one of the most powerful villains in all of Arda.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: The Darklanders in general can correspond to a hypothetical race of humans indigenous to Antarctica, although the Ormalic Darklanders are also more or less proto-Romani, albeit with the aforementioned grayish-white skin tone.
- Le Parkour: The Darklanders that are assigned to the Islands of Ormal are inclined to be athletic and aware of their surroundings. They use both of these to their advantage when traveling throughout the Islands and the Sunlands.
- Motor Mouth: Zigzagged. They speak at a normal pace, and are not as noisy as Gongs or Ogres, but they are inclined to speak with heavily pronounced Salvidoric or swift-paced Ormalic accents, which make them seem to speak faster or slower than they appear to be.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: A recurring physical trait among male (and occasionally female) Darklanders, especially those that hail from Arvalin and the Islands of Ormal.
- Seen It All: They worship a spider-like Maia as their queen, work alongside Ogres, Gongs, Giants, and Pygmies on a regular basis, live in one of the most mysterious regions of Arda, police the most dangerous parts of that region, battle borderline Eldritch Abominations, and speak with accents that seem alien in origin. So naturally, they are relatively fine with whatever person, demigod, or creature that sets foot upon their shores.
- Wise Beyond Their Years
JykaleA 19-year-old Darklander, formerly a soldier that served in the Islands of Ormal. Currently residing in the Delduthling port-city of Grindsmouth, and the personal servant of Naikamil. He is also the cousin of Grodyn and Rhejya.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: To Gunglip, and later, Naikamil.
- Mook Lieutenant: To Naikamil.
- The Renfield/ The Igor: Acts as a (downplayed) combination of the two as Naikamil's servant.
GalkynA 23-year-old Darklander from the port-city of Grindsmouth in Delduthland. He is one of the many soldiers that patrol Arvalin, and is one of Jykale's closest friends.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: He has the same pale complexion and dark hair as most other Darklanders, but he also has a particularly skeletal face.
- Guttural Growler
- Surrounded by Idiots: How he feels whenever he has to clarify a situation to his comrades in Delduthland.
- Younger Than They Look: Has a very skeletal face with sunken cheeks and eyes, and has a mildly sickly complexion. Despite this, he is still in his early twenties, and is not even the oldest Darklander introduced within the story.
GrodynAn 18-year-old Ormalic Darklander hailing from the island of Tygho, and the twin brother of Rhejya. He is a soldier in Gunglip's army during the Swerting-Darklander War.
- Badass Beret
- Cool Shades: Casually wears a pair of Unlight-tinted lenses over his eyes.
- Half-Identical Twins: With Rhejya.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: His preference to wear the aforementioned lenses over his eyes, and his lips are bent downwards. Also speaks with an Ormalic accent, while Rhejya speaks with a Salvidoric accent.
- Messy Hair
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: When his sister, Rhejya, begins having a romantic relationship with Jhebdryk.
- Single-Minded Twins: Averted! Though Grodyn and Rhejya are twins, they have fairly different personalities, and are perfectly capable of thinking and acting independently from each other. This is due to a...
- Twin Desynch: He and Rhejya were seperated from each other when they were two years old; Grodyn stays in the Islands of Ormal, while Rhejya is sent to Delduthland, and eventually Salvidor. They are still perfectly aware of each other's existance in the mean-time, though they did not meet each other again until they were both in their early teens.
- Warrior Poet: In addition to being a skilled warrior, he is also an experienced singer and musician.
JhebdrykA 25-year-old Darklander from Arvalin. Was a resident of het-Githlun before he was sent to join Gunglip's army during their conquest in the Sunlands during the Swerting-Darklander War. He later begins to have romantic feelings for Grodyn's sister, Rhejya.
- The Ace
- Genius Bruiser: He is the most muscular of the main Darklanders, and even built like a football player, but he is just as intelligent as any Darklander.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl/ One Head Taller: With Rhejya.
- Jerk Jock: Shows shades of this, being a strong, athletic type of warrior with a linebacker-esque physique, and is definitely a competitive type. But this is Downplayed, and he is also a...
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Has a habit of extending hyperbole into what is more or less Too Much Information, much to the dismay of Grodyn.
RhejyaAn 18-year-old Ormalic Darklander woman residing in Salvidor. She is sent to the Islands of Ormal to assist her twin brother, Grodyn. Later becomes the Love Interest of Jhebdryk.
- Braids of Action: Her hair is mostly tied down in a long, twisted ponytail.
- Brainy Brunette
- Cool Big Sis: Although she is Grodyn's twin, she is older than him by only a few seconds.
- Half-Identical Twins: With Grodyn.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl/ One Head Taller: With Jhebdryk.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Rhejya's Messy Hair is much longer, and is tied in the aforementioned braid. Her lips are bent upwards Also, Rhejya speaks with a Salvidoric accent, while Grodyn speaks with an Ormalic accent.
- Messy Hair
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Like the other Darklanders introduced thus far, she has grayish-white skin and dark hair, but she is also considered attractive by her fellow Darklanders, especially Jhebdryk.
- Sibling Seniority Squabble: Subverted. Rhejya is older than Grodyn by a few seconds, but they don't hold this against each other, and Rhejya acts more like a Cool Big Sis towards her brother.
- Single-Minded Twins: Averted! See Grodyn above.
- Twin Desynch: Rhejya was sent away from Grodyn when they were both two years old, though were still perfectly aware of each other's existance, despite not meeting again until they were teenagers.
JyldhraniA 24-year-old Darklander woman, whose father is the master of Grindsmouth, where she is the city's chief of security.
- Action Girl
- Barefisted Monk: Seldom uses weapons, preferring to use her acrobatics, hands, and feet in combat.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Does Not Like Shoes: Like most Delduthling women, she is regularly barefoot, though she wears bracers on her ankles.
- Forehead of Doom
- Handy Cuffs: The leather bracers she wears over her ankles and wrists.
- Kick Chick
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Too Kinky to Torture
Other Races of Mórenorë
GreblingsA savage race of feral Men from the Mórenorëan region of Gologoth.
- Always Chaotic Evil
- Half-Human Hybrid: Are supposedly descended from Gongs and the Swertings of the Sunlands.
- Milky White Eyes
- Wacky Wayside Tribe
GongsAn evil race obscurely related to Orcs. While they mostly dwell in the distant, more obscure regions of Middle-earth, they are also known to dwell in Mórenorë and especially the Islands of Ormal.
- Always Chaotic Evil: Subverted. At first they appear to be an even more war-like and hostile version of the Orcs, they are actually more passive outside of combat, and casually interact in peace with the other races that serve Ungoliant.
- Blood Knight
- Our Orcs Are Different
- Proud Warrior Race
- The Usual Adversaries
GnakiA Gong warrior that is one of the most loyal members of Gunglip's army in the Islands of Ormal.
Servants of Morgoth
LeucaruthA female fire-drake that resides in the northern regions of Middle-earth. She dwelt with Naikamil for a brief period of time.
- Accent Adaptation: In The Servants of Ungoliant, Leucaruth is more or less an equivalent of a Violent Glaswegian. See also, Expy below.
- Canon Foreigner: Like Naikamil, she was a dragon created for Middle-earth Role Playing.
- Evil Redhead
- Expy: In The Servants of Ungoliant, Leucaruth is basically Lady Macbeth, only a Dragon.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Leucaruth is a fire-drake, which is a wingless, fire-breathing dragon.
- Playing with Fire: See Our Dragons Are Different.