open/close all folders
Calliope Blithe OllivanderThe grand-niece of Mr Ollivander who has been continuing her post-Hogwarts education in Boston, and while living there she befriends Muggle Mark Printzen, but when she hears of her uncle's kiddnapping, she returns to England.
- Affectionate Nickname: Callie by Dora Tonks and Mark Printzen.
- Book Dumb: She is a very intelligent witch, who can speak fluent French and is remarkably talented at playing the violin and the cello, but doesn't have much knowledge on road safety, which causes her to nearly get run down by a car and lose her wand when she apparatus to the Keyport. Justified considering most wizards and witches don't drive cars.
- Brainy Brunette
- Damsel out of Distress: After being kidnapped in "The Ollivander Children" by Turpentine and spending the first five chapters of "At War" being held prisoner by him and going through Mind Rape she manages to escape in chapter six by using wandless magic.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Gray Eyes
- Hypothetical Cast: Vifetoile choices for who would play Calliope would either be Eva Green, but she said Australian actress Rose Byrne could give her a run for her money.
- Huge Schoolgirl: According to Word of God  while going through puberty she went through a huge growth spurt which she wasn't comfortable with.
- Ironic Nickname: Calliope's nickname is Shrimp because she was shortest in her family because she was born prematurely, now she's the tallest in her family.
- Just Friends: Tells Linus that Mark is just this, but she is in love with him, but due to her personality she Cannot Spit It Out.
- The Kirk
- Meaningful Middle Name: In-Universe, her middle name, Blithe was chosen because her parents were so happy when she was born.
- Odd Friendship: With Cloud Cuckoo Lander Luna Lovegood.
- Real Women Don't Wear Dresses: Averted, she's described as oftern wearing skirts and dresses.
- Spirited Young Lady
- Sugar and Ice Personality: When not socializing she comes off as being being a bit distant and seems happy to fade into the background but will open up when someone takes the time to know her.
- What Beautiful Eyes!
Mark Emory PrintzenAn American muggle who teaches children of elementary school age, who has been friends with Calliope ever since he was indroduced to her at a party by his bestfriend Andrew Dupont. When learning from Andrew that she's returning to England, he sets off after her.
- Badass Bookworm: Shown especially in chapter 22 of "War" when deatheaters attack the werewolf sanctuary in the middle of his lesson, he orders his students to hide under their desks and attempts to lore the deatheaters away by running from the school while shouting...Mark: (As he runs from the school) Catch me if you can, you mad bastards!
- Badass Normal: Despite being a muggle in the wizarding world with only a few people oh his side, he frequently stands up for himself bother verbally and physically.
- In a Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu? moment in chapter 19 of "War" when Linus is telling Mark to stay away from Calliope, believing that he tried to rape her because of been given false memories, while threatening Mark with his wand, Mark punches Linus in the face.
- Bookworm: Is shown to be a huge J.R.R.Tolkien Fanboy.
- Cool Teacher: It's shown when he is teaching the werewolf students of The Agnes Stidolph Werewolf Sanctuary that he can be both strict and firm, connect with his students and treat them as equeals.
- Drowning His Sorrows: In chapter 10 of "At War".
- Fanboy: of J.R.R.Tolkien, even admitting at one point to trying to make a Hobbit hole one summer.
- Fearless Fool
- The Fool
- Hypothetical Cast: His actor is very hard to pin down according to Vifetoile, sometimes it's James Marsden, other times it's Rupert Evans with the slight drawback of being British, and when she's going musical theatre he's an actor called Danny Gurwin.
- The McCoy
- Muggle Best Friend: To Andrew.
- The Pollyanna
- Unfazed Everyman: As the story goes on Mark becomes less of a Pollyanna in "At War" and becomes use to the wizarding world, though he does have his moments, especially in chapter 23 when he meets centaurs.
- Unlikely Hero: Who would have thought that Mark, an American Muggle who teachers elementary school children would go on the run from after being found falsely guilty of presumption, stand up to powerful wizards, teach and befriend werewolves, talking about evolutionary theory with centaurs, mentally overcome torture by BELLATRIX LESTRANGE and eventually reveals corruption in the Ministry for Magic.
Linus Fortitude OllivanderCalliope's older brother who works as an Obliviator for the Ministry of Magic. He first meets Mark when Mark is on trial for supposedly stealing a wand, then when he finds out the wands is Calliope's and Mark is falsely found guilty of presumption, they go on the run together to found her.
- Badass Cape: His stone clock.
- Big Brother Instinct: Is intensely protective of his younger sister.
- Brainy Brunette
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Little Dude".
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Gray Eyes
- Heir Club for Men: Will inherit the family ancestral home, Hollywyck after his uncle dies, despite the fact Tess is the eldest (five months older than Linus) of their uncle's nephew and niece's.
- Hypothetical Cast: According to Vifetoile, he went without an actor for a long time, until she saw Benedict Cumberbatch in Sherlock and he became her official Linus, even if he doesn't have a goatee
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Science Hero
- The Spock
- Stoic Spectacles
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Over the course of War he becomes increasingly suspicious of and hostile towards Mark. This is partially the result of a long-distance, long-term Imperius curse administered by Turpentine.
Turpin "Turpentine" RowleLinus's boss and mentor who turns out to a Death Eater, who is conducting memory experiments for Lord Voldermort, the first being to delete the memory of Linus's and Calliope's dead older sister Benedicte.
- The Chess Master
- The Corrupter: He uses the Imperial curse on Linus to spy on Mark, Calliope, Hector and Andrew while there in the Embassy and later alters his memory to turn him against Mark.
- Da Chief
- Evil Brit
- A Father to His Men: Regarded as a great Obliviator among those who work for him not so much to Linus and Amity after they discover he's a deatheater.
- Hypothetical Cast: Peter Capaldi would be Vifetoile choice for playing Turpentine.
- Mad Scientist
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Averted, since he's in fact a Deatheaters.
- Smug Snake: When he intentional encounters Mark, Linus and Amity on different occasions, he openly, out of earshot, mocks and/or threats them.
Hector Irving GibbsCousin of Calliope and Linus who works as a wandmaker for their great-uncle.
- Beware the Nice Ones: According to Mark and Andrew, when Tess founds out about Hector's homosexuality, and attempted a Have You Tried Not Being a Monster?? rant, the usually friendly Hector suddenly turns cold with an icy tone in his voice, and after Tess leaves, he bluntly orders both Mark and Andrew to leave.
- Character Development: He starts off as a Dogged Nice Guy but after getting together with Andrew, he becomes more comfortable with his own sexuality and eventually stands up to his sister about it, and by the end of War is finally confident to go out into the world as a proud gay man.
- Gray Eyes
- Straight Gay
Andrew Paul DupontMark's best friend who have known each other since childhood, and unknown to Mark at the start of the story is in fact a muggleborn born wizard.
- The Ace: Manages to score a luxurious private hotel suite at the Wizarding Embassy.
- Agent Peacock: He works for a secret division of the Pentagram, American wizarding government, which uses time turners and admits to loving to make dramatic entrance.
- Bi the Way
- Black Bestfriend: To Mark
- The Bus Came Back: After Mark sends a letter from prison asking for his help, he's not mentioned much after that, it's not until chapter 5 of War when he shows up at Mark, Linus and Hectors trial as the witness.
- The Charmer
- Closet Key: To Hector.
- Lady Killer In Love: Implied to have been one of these before getting together with Hector.
Servaas OllivanderThe Patriarch of The Ollivander family, master wandmaker and much loved uncle of Calliope, Linus, Hector and Tess.
Nymphadora "Dora" TonksCalliope's bestfriend who she has been estranged from for sometime before the start of "The Ollivander Children". They meet again when Dora visits to inform Calliope of her grand-uncle's disappearance and involving her with The Order of the Phoenix. to rescue him.
Tisiphone "Tess" Imogene GibbsThe older sister of Hector and the eldest of Mr Ollivander's grand nieces and nephews.
- Brutal Honesty: She will oftern give her own opinion about things without even the littlest concern of who she's speaking to, a lot of the time making her look like a Bitch in Sheep's Clothing and dropping several Drama Bombs.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Hector describes her as this later on after she suggested that their Uncle Servaas was kidnapped for ransom.
- Gray Eyes
- Heel–Face Turn: After Januarius is kidnapped by the deatheaters, she aids them in their plan to capture Mark in exchange for Januarius's freedom, sadly the plan is uncovered and after a duel with Calliope, is tied to a bed until the authorities can arrest her, that's when Hector disowns her before she is taken away.
- Heel–Faith Turn: Is mentioned by Hector to have found god in War.
- Face–Heel Turn: But then in chapter 36 of War she redeems herself by helping Calliope escape from Bindweed Hall when she held captive their for thirteen days.
- Love Makes You Evil: When Januarius is taken by the deatheaters, she joins them in a kidnap plot to force Mark to give himself up to save Calliope. Later on when Mark and Januarius are rescued, and Hector is questioning her motives, her only reason being to see Januarius, the kicker to it is that she takes no responsibility for her actions.
- Rich Bitch
Amity TweekWorks as an Obliviator alongside Linus.
Characters Indroduced in "At War"
Guadalupe Ana SantosA sixteen year old female muggle werewolf, who Mark first meets while imprisoned for the second time in The Sycorax, and during the nights spent in their prison cells they end up becoming friends after Mark tells her stories from the J.R.R.Tolkien book The Silmarillion.
- Boyish Short Hair
- Hot for Teacher: For Mark, but is rejected by him since he's in love with Calliope.
- One of the Boys
- Outdoorsy Gal: Well, she has spent most of her life with fellow werewolfs.
- Parental Abandonment: Justified since she was turned into a werewolf in the last couple of years, and was forced to leave them, subverted when she is finally reunited with her parents in chapter 36 of "At War".
- Passionate Sports Girl: Is shown playing football (or soccer for Americans) a couple of times.
- Raised by Wolves
- Spicy Latina: Is originally from Spain, but her sometimes firey attitude could be because of being a werewolf.
- Tom Boy
- True Companion: Mentions in her time in the Sycorax that while in Fenrir Greyback's pack, she was bestfriends with an Arab girl called Noemie, who despite being a drug addict, was a damn good woman.
- Wild Child
Januarius FellA priest of The Holy Church of Christ the Magician who Mark meets while taking confession in The Sycorax and takes a disliking to after hearing his views on Muggles.
- Archnemesis Dad: The implied reason being that his father was a Abusive Parent towards Julietta.
- Bungled Suicide: After founding out he had a blood transfusion from Mark, he has a Freak Out! and then slots his wrists in the bathtub.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander When he's recovered in the dungeon of Bindweed Hall, he's almost stopped making sense to everyone other than himself.
- Good Shepherd: He's a spiritual, compassionate, and understanding preacher — until it comes to Muggles.
- Heel–Face Turn: Has one after realizing that the belief that Muggles are inferior to wizard kind is wrong, since Mark selflessly gave him the blood transfusion to save him from dying. He later becomes more friendly to Mark to the point of annoying and even referring himself as Mark's brother to Andrews parents.
- Holier Than Thou: His belief about muggles, that's until his Heel–Face Turn.
- Preacher Man
- Promotion to Parent: After their mother died, he fought to become Julietta' legal guardian, so they wouldn't have to live with their father.
- Sexy Priest: According to this art work
Julietta FellJanuarius's younger sister who he took out of school because of her increasing health problems. Mark also meets her at The Sycorax, where she does tarot card readings for the prisoners.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Averted, she and her brother care about each other very much.
- Big Brother Worship: especially shown after her brothers suicide attempt.
- The Disease That Shall Not Be Named: An in-universe example, mentioned by Hector that she suffers from a health condition involving her spine that keeps her out of School because of her treatments, Mark asks if it's Scoliosis, But Hector gives a vague answer.
- Ill Girl: Subverted, even though she's taken out of school because of her health problems, but still manages to maintain a normal life.
- Plucky Office Girl: Works as assistant to her cousin, Dolores Umbridge.
- Shrinking Violet: Justified, because her father may have been abusive, but Subverted since she goes to places with her brother like the Sycorax PRISON of all places and has no trouble with talking to the prisoners and becomes friends the werewolf Guadalupe,Double Subverted however, when her brother tries to kill himself and she becomes terrified that she'll be sent back to live with her father.
Benedicte OllivanderThe older sister of Linus and Calliope who was kidnapped and killed by the deatheaters about twenty years ago.
- Brainy Brunette
- Cool Big Sis: She was very much one to Linus.
- Death by Origin Story
- Gray Eyes
- Left for Dead: It's revealed in chapter 23 of War when Calliope, Mark, Hector, Andrew, Guadalupe and Julietta apparat into the woods south of Hollywyck and encounter a group of centaurs who most of refuse to help them, Calliope is taken over by Benedicte's ghost and reveals that a girl (who in chapter 32 they realise was Benedicte) apparated in the woods and was found by one of the centaurs, Fortinbras, while bleeding to death and refused to help her. This convinces Fortiesbras to help them.
- Never Foundthe Body: All that was ever found of her after she was kidnapped by the deatheaters was her right hand holding her wand. It isn't until chapter 32 of War when her body is finally found.
- Posthumous Character
ScurryDevoted house-elf to The Ollivander family, who works at the ancestral home, Hollywyck.
- Battle House-Elf: When Calliope is kidnapped from Hollywyck by turpentine, she tries to use her magic to attack him, but is stopped by Linus because she might hit a Calliope.
- Kindly House-Elf
- Loyal to the Position
- Slave Race: Discussed when Mark is informed by Calliope and Linus of this, he's naturally disgusted by the concept.Linus: But she's a house-elf, not a human. The purpose of a house-elf is to serve a family. They don't have a purpose in life unless they're serving a family. Scurry's whole family, down the material line, has served the Ollivander's. Before Scurry it was Scamper and before Scamper it was Skedaddle...
(Calliope interrupts Linus)
Calliope: But Mark, the point is, Scurry is happy to serve us. If we were to set her free, she'd be miserable. She loves us, and we love her. She's like a member of the family.
Mark: (dryly) That's what slave owners said too.
Tabitha DupontAndrew's older sister, who is also a muggleborn (like her brother) witch.
- Shipper on Deck: She is the first one seen trying to pair Mark and Calliope together, as seen in the first ever chapter, when she encourages Mark to try and get Calliope to dance with him.Andrew caught a glance at his sister's face and stopped his little soft-shoe."What?" she asked him, all innocence."You're brewing something, aren't you?""Nothing that hasn't been already cooking, little bro. I just gave it a stir."
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After Mark goes off to England to find Calliope and he end ups the Thames Jail, she never makes a reappearance, not even when Andrew comes to England in War to help Mark out.
- Although, it could be because she's helping out her and Andrew's parents' cover up what's happening to Mark, so his (Mark's) parent's don't find out, since their muggles.
ScaliaAn American Wizard from Boston who is "friends" with Andrew, Calliope, Tabitha and their circle of friends.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Being a wizard is the only possible reason for someone like him to be friends with Andrew.
- Jerkass: Is shown to be rather ani-muggle and when Andrew says he thinks Mark may have Calliope's wand (which is true) after she accidentally dropped it while apparating, He suggests they use magic to force Mark to tell them and then alter his memory, which Andrew naturally refuses to do, so he says he'll do it instead.
- Pure Blood: Implied as being from a Pure Blood wizard family.