Characters / Shigurui
Fujiki GennosukeThe Stoic
pupil of the Kogan dojo. In the present time in his duel with Seigen he has only one arm but it is noted that his back muscles could theoretically make up for lost strength. Fujiki is very loyal to Kogan , and is said to be most likely to succeed as the school's master.
An ambitious man who seeks to raise his status. In the present time, he is blind and has a deep cut in one of his feet. Years before, he joined the Kogan-Ryuu school afterwards and was eventually picked to become the successor over Gennosuke Fujiki, but he and Kogan had a falling out which resulted in his present-day blindness.
- Animal Motifs: Dragons.
- Anti-Villain/Noble Demon: Despite his cruelty, he occasionally show flashes of kindness.
- Bishounen: Goes into Dude Looks Like a Lady territory.
- Blind Weaponmaster
- Break the Haughty: Blinding him was meant as this by Kogan. He doesn't stay broken for long.
- Byronic Hero: Intelligent, charismatic and capable man, who doesn't listen to anyone but himself. He is also idolized by the other blind men in the series, showing that even they can achieve something in life. At the same time, he is lecherous and arrogant, both which get him blinded in the first place.
- Determinator: Lost your eyesight? No problem. Just train until you don't need them anymore and then go after the martial arts school that maimed you.
- Deuteragonist: The story's as much about him as it is about Fujiki.
- Tiger Versus Dragon: The Dragon to Fujiki's Tiger.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Original Irako Seigen most certainly did.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Subverted and then double subverted. He kills his mother to climb the social ladder, but it's the only death he deeply regrets. He also took care of her long after she could no longer recognize him due to insanity.
- Eye Scream
- Friend to All Children: Yes, really. Whenever he has to deal with children, he goes out of his way to be nice to them. Notable with the starving street urchin. No one else would touch the kid, but he washed her, gave her food and even a place to stay.
- Handicapped Badass: In addition to being blind, he also walks with a limp due to a large gash on his right foot.
- Jerkass: Before his blindness, he was an unrepentant Casanova.
- Pet the Dog: Usually followed with him kicking it.
- Worthy Opponent: One scene does show that Irako actually respects Fujiki, but the feeling is not mutual. It became mutual only at the very end of the series.
A master of the Kogan-Ryuu school and Gennosuke's senior.
- Animal Motifs: the Taurus, largely owing to his burly stature, enormous physical strength and later on signifying his elite position within the house of Iwamoto as an accomplished practitioner and instructor of Kogan-ryuu.
- The Big Guy
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Though portrayed as naturally endowed rather than gifted though training, Gonza's ridiculous strength is only enhanced by his mastery of Kogan's techniques.
- Determinator: Even massive brain damage won't stop him from coming after your ass.
- Glasgow Grin: Inflicted by Kogan.
- The Stoic: albeit not to Gennosuke's extent.
The Grandmaster of the Kogan-Ryuu school. Mentally unbalanced most of the time, he regains his sanity most often in the period between fall and winter. Cares nothing for his daughter, Mie.
The daughter of Kogan Iwamoto.
- Avenging the Villain: Swears vengeance on Irako after her father is killed.
- Driven to Suicide: Seemly, she considered her life to be no longer important after Fujiki killed Irako, she just killed herself without a clear reason, one can assume she had just too much built-up sorrow.
- You can also argue that because Mie despised her father and his men (who were samurais and yet willing to commit crimes (such as almost raping her to get a heir) just for some titles), when she saw Gennosuke beheading Irako and thus dishonoring the latter even in death to be someone else's dog, she realized that he was just the same as those men.
The concubine of Kogan. When she was younger, she was consistently taunted with a children's song and the masses fled at her approach. This public scorn only increased her dependence on her husband.
- Anti-Villain: Perhaps the most symphatetic character in the series.
- Breast Attack: Kogan slices off her nipple when he finds out she's been cheating on him.
- Christmas Cake: Before Kogan takes her in, she has outlived two fiancés, and no one dares to woo her.
- Morality Pet: To Irako.
- Neutral Female: Averted. She isn't a fighter, but is anything but useless.
- Unholy Matrimony: With Seigen to whom she is completely devoted to. It's unclear how much Seigen cares about her, although he does treat her much better (ie. like an actual human being) unlike her previous lover Kogan.
Lord of the Sunpu castle and the shogun's younger brother. He is quite mad.