open/close all folders
Played by: Shiri Appleby
"It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life."Considered to be the main character along with Max Evans. Liz is your typical girl next door. She's a beautiful human girl. The show centers around her life being saved unexpectedly by the mysterious Max Evans. She feels an instant and undeniable connection to him and realizes that he has felt the same about her from afar for years. Much of the show is dealing with the consequences of falling in love with an alien.
- Adorkable: Especially in season one any time she was around Max. Her love of science and good girl persona don't hurt either.
- Always Someone Better: Tess feels this way about her.
- Amicable Exes: Eventually achieves this with Kyle.
- Anchored Ship: Good God, Max and Liz went through almost every variety of this trope
- Anguished Declaration of Love: To Max
- Badass: Definitely has her moments in season three.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Max's Archie. While Tess filled the Veronica role.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Don't try to hurt Max or any of her friends and she will will retaliate. Tess found this out the hard way.
- Brainy Brunette: Wants to be a molecular biologist.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: Liz did this with Max in season one by breaking up with him so that he could follow his destiny and again in season two when future Max asked her to do so in order to change everyone's bad future.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Liz is the gentle girl to Max's brooding boy. Max is the mysterious guy from and exotic place who risks exposure to save Liz's life. She's the only one who can really get him to relax and let loose without feeling guilty about it.
- Came Back Wrong: It's discovered that Liz developed alien powers from being brought back to life by Max in the pilot.
- Cassandra Truth: Warned her friends that something about Alex's death was not right and that he was killed by an alien. She was right.
- Cat Fight: With Tess in Four Aliens and A Baby. Tess didn't know what hit her.
- Determinator: During her investigation into Alex's death. Liz didn't let anything prevent her from finding the truth, not even her relationship with Max.
- Easily Forgiven: Max forgives her pretty quickly after she "slept" with Kyle. He loves her too much not to.
- Five-Man Band: Liz is the smart guy.
- The Fettered: Liz has a strong sense of right and wrong and along with Max and is often the one who encourages the group to do the right thing.
- Girl Next Door: Liz is this from the start.
- Good Girl Gone Bad: A somewhat minor example in the season three episode Busted!, Liz helps Max rob a liquor store so that he could get to the spaceship underneath. Her parents certainly think this of her afterwards and try to limit her interaction with Max as a result.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: After she learns that Alex has been killed in a car accident. She becomes obsessed with the idea that he was killed by an alien. It completely consumes her and makes her act very out of character until she finds out the truth.
- High School Sweethearts: With Max.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Maria and Alex before his death.
- Human Alien: Sort of. No one is quite sure why Liz has developed powers only that she has.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Liz goes through a bout of this in season three when she starts to develop alien powers of her own. She gets better.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Liz is willing to push Max towards Tess even if he hates her for it and even though it breaks her own heart because Max asked her to.
- Interspecies Romance: Human Liz has this type of romance with Max the alien/human hybrid. A big source of conflict in the early stages of their relationship.
- Love Interest: Liz is the main love interest of Max.
- Main Characters: The show is told mostly from her point of view with help from her journal entries.
- My Death Is Just the Beginning: The series opens with Liz introducing herself and telling us that "five days ago I died".
- Narrator: Liz is the narrator for the series, especially in the first season where her journal entries open the episodes.
- Nice Girl: Liz is the nicest out of the group except maybe Alex. She's very down to earth and easy to talk to. In the face of everything that Tess has done to her and her friends, she is not willing to have her killed for it.
- Official Couple: Max and Liz.
- Official Couple Ordeal Syndrome: Everything from predestined love interests, kidnapping, torture, murder plots, an illegitimate child, and even death has not been able to keep them apart for long.
- Ordinary High-School Student: She was this before Max saved her life.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Liz is the blue oni to Maria's red oni.
- Rescue Romance: Max heals Liz after she is shot. Their romance commences soon after that.
- The Smart Guy: Liz is very studious and smart. She was very interested in science and was determined to become a molecular biologist after high school.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Max.
- What the Hell, Hero?: To Max when she found out that Tess was pregnant with his child.
Played by: Jason Behr
"Well I'm not from around here."Arguably the main character along with Liz. Max Evans is the human alien hybrid that jump started the whole show. Max seems like a somewhat unassuming, mysterious guy to Liz Parker before he uses his alien powers to save her life. Max is known as the responsible one. He is seen to be kind, caring, heroic and often selfless. He's the leader of his people reincarnated and it shows in his actions. He has loved Liz Parker from afar his whole life and he couldn't bear to see her die so he saved her life.
- Action Hero: Not really by choice but his actions are the catalyst for most of the action in the series
- Actual Pacifist: Max doesn't like to kill people. It actually becomes a plot point later in the series when he has to make difficult decisions for his family on earth and on his own planet.
- Anchored Ship: With Liz for all three seasons.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: To Liz
- The Atoner: Had a major case of this in "A Roswell Christmas Carol."
- Badass: Surprisingly so considering how mild mannered he can be.
- Berserk Button: Don't hurt Liz or any of his friends.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Betty and Veronica: The Archie to Liz's Betty and Tess' Veronica
- Big Brother Instinct: To Michael sometimes
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl
- Can'tHoldHisLiquor: Can get completely drunk from one sip of alcohol
- Clark Kenting: Max along with Isabel and Michael work really hard to keep their alien identities to themself. With good reason.
- The Comically Serious: Max has a very dry sense of humor
- Control Freak: To an extent. His friends have called him out on it a couple times and he usually tries to rein himself in.
- Despair Event Horizon: When he is taken captive by Pierce and tortured.
- Determinator: Especially in later seasons
- Deuteragonist: With Liz.
- Everyone Can See It: Max's crush on Liz is obvious to everyone but her. Maria lampshades it in the pilot episode:
- Maria: You are sooo bad girl. Oh, and Max Evans is staring at you again.Liz: No way. Maria, that is so in your imagination.[Liz looks at Max who is sitting at a booth with Michael at the far end of the restaurant. He looks at her and then quickly away]Liz: Max Evans? This? No, un uh... it's not...Maria: And with those cheeks! Preciosita tan linda!Liz: Maria!Liz: And, and even if it weren't I'm going out with Kyle. I mean, he's steady and loyal, and he appreciates me.Maria: Sounds like you're describing a poodle.
- The Fettered: Max often feel the pressure of doing the right thing for himself and for everyone else too. It something he really struggles with throughout the series.
- Foil: To Michael. Michael is hot headed and impulsive in comparison to Max's calm and level headed demeanor.
- Guilt Complex: Max feels guilty about not being able to save everyone and not being to be the leader others expect him to be.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Michael
- Human Alien
- Hurting Hero: After Liz breaks up with him in season two.
- Interspecies Romance: Max is a human alien hybrid in love with human Liz Parker
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Felt this keenly in season one. Came to terms with it by the end of the series.
- It's All My Fault: Feels guilty for endangering his friends and especially Liz with his secret.
- Knight in Shining Armor: To Liz definitely. Is willing to risk it all for her before they were even a couple.
- The Kirk: Max plays this role with Isabel(The Spock) and Michael (The Mccoy). He's usually the decision maker between their two vastly different objectives.
- The Leader: Reincarnated leader of his alien planet. Struggles with the responsibility of it on earth.
- Love Interest: Mainly to Liz. Briefly so with Tess.
- My Greatest Failure: Letting Tess leave with his unborn child in season two. He spends most of season three trying to fix it.
- Mysterious Protector: For Liz when she got shot in the crashdown cafe and he healed her before running away.
- Nice Guy: Max is one of the nicest characters on the show. He is always willing to help someone, sometimes to his own detriment.
- Not Himself: When Nasedo pretends to be him in "Max to the Max."
- Official Couple: Briefly with Liz in season one and then again in season three.
- Power of Love: Max is able to fight basically being possessed because his love for Liz is too strong to be forgotten.
- Rescue Romance: Max heals Liz from a gunshot wound, starting a relationship with her soon after.
- Secret Identity: Max keeps his alien nature secret from everyone including his parents.
- Shirtless Scene: Max has gotten a couple of these throughout the seasons.
- Sibling Team: With Michael and Maria.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Liz. They have to overcome several hurdles and setbacks before they can be together.
- Supporting Protagonist: With Liz. The series is centered mostly around their romance.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: In season two.
- True Companions: With Michael and later with Maria and Alex.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Liz in the first season and with Tess when she was first introduced although that was mostly due to her mindwarp abilities.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gets at least one a season. A notable one from Maria after he and Liz get arrested for holding up a liquor store.
Played by: Katherine Heigl
"We're just as human as you are..."Isabel Evans is an alien-human hybrid like her brother Max Evans and best friend Michael Guerin. She and Max were found as six-year-old children wandering in the desert by Philip and Diane Evans, who adopted them. Isabel is a very visible, popular girl at school. She hides her kind side beneath a front of haughtiness and cold unfeeling—she is the perfect, unknowable, unobtainable beauty. On the outside, she is the most outgoing of the three hybrids and blends in with the human society with ease. On the inside Isabel is probably the most vulnerable of the three. She so wants to be accepted for her alien side as much as her human side.
Sheriff Jim Valenti
- Heel–Face Turn: Starts supporting the group after Max saves his son.
Agent Daniel Pierce
Agent Kathleen Topolski
Agent John Stevens
Major Pete Carlson