This is the character sheet for the MMORPG Rift
open/close all folders
"We were chosen, not for our virtue, but for our might. Our brilliance. Our ruthlessness."
A throwback to the heroes of myth, Cyril is described as appearing 'fully-grown and larger-than-life' into people's hearts and minds. He was already considered a hero of legend before the history of the game, where he throws in Zareph's rebellion against his evil brother, Aedraxis. His support for Zareph changes the rebellion from a political coup into a fight against evil in the minds of the people, giving Zareph popular support for the first time in the civil war. After dying when Aedraxis cracks the Ward, Cyril was brought back to life as an immortal Ascended and now leads the Guardian faction against the planes and the heretical Defiants.
A member of the long-lived elven race, Shyla led the High Elves in their guardianship of the forest alongside her beloved, Prince Hylas. When the call came from Zareph for allies against the evil of his brother, Aedraxis, Shyla is quick to gather her supporters and prepare to ride to his aid. But Hylas refuses to meddle in the affairs of humans, and so she leaves him behind. After her death and resurrection as an Ascended, she returns home to find her lover cold and distant. And when she joins the High Elves together with the humans and dwarves to form the Guardians, Hylas takes his entire household and abandons her.
"Death rewards defiance."
- Face-Heel Turn: He's also gone over to Regulos in Terminus, and is called "Frederic the Betrayer." He does this in the normal timeline as well and gives Regulos's true form the flesh needed to create a shell to protect his true body.
- Knight Templar
- The Paladin
"We choose to defend ourselves. We will save Telara."
"Sometimes a single idea can change the world."
Founder of the defiants and its current leader. Orphiel is an exceptionally powerful mage and brilliant scientist, having had a very large hand in the creation of factory made ascended as well as Orphiel's failsafe, the time travel device that allows the PC to return to the past to help save the world. Despite his genius, Orphiel considers his greatest shame to be his teachings of Aedraxis, the Mathosian king who began the shade.
- The Atoner: Depending on how canon you take Mathosia (the guardian starting zone), Orphiel fell to corruption and seems to have snapped out of it after Aedraxis fell, hence his attempts at making ascendant can be viewed as trying to make amends for his past misdeeds.
- Fiery Redhead
- Naytheist: Like most defiant, he's less than impressed with the Vigil, preferring science to faith.
- Vague Age: He's hunched over most of the time like he's well up there, but he looks fantastic, so it's hard to say. He was in Mathosia in the past, which would have to make him at least 40, but he hasn't visibly aged a day over the 20 year period between then and when players get into the main game world.
"I take orders from neither man nor god."
The high general of the Defiant and descendant of Ethian royalty. Asha was once a member of the Dragonslayer Covenant, working to keep an eye on the dragon cults. When Aedraxis caused the shade, Asha was caught in the first burst of energy and killed. In the void, she was confronted by Regulos, the dragon of death, and was offered a chance to lead his armies against Telara, infusing her with power to tempt her. She turned him down, and just when Regulos was about to destroy her using the same power he had just given her, she was pulled away from him and revived by Orphiel.
"We will crush the Blood Storm."
The leader of the bahmi and the Defiant's stratego, Rahn is a steadfast and honorable man who believes in morals. This isn't entirely positive: He doesn't trust the Kelari due to their practice of Human Sacrifice
, often clashes with Anthousa Mona, and is estranged from his daughter Uriel on account (in part) of her interest in the plane of death.
"These Trials are nothing for the Kelari."
The higher priestess of the Kelari, Anthousa can usually be found with Asha and Rahn. Her feelings towards Rahn are mutual, she doesn't care much for how "unimaginative" the bahmi can be and wonders if, when the time comes, he can make the necessary sacrifices.
- Flat Character: Although this is set to change in the future, she currently really doesn't have anything going for her except her disdain for Rahn and her backstory in which she was the one who called for the Kelari exodus.
"No great discovery is made without a few mishaps."
An eccentric Kelari scientist, Sylver is the one responsible for making Orphiel's manufactured ascended a reality.
The Faceless Man
"Question my motives if you must, but not my orders."
The leader of the unseen and former Abyssal cultist, the Faceless Man can often be found wherever abyssals are nearby, waiting to sabotage them and stop the madness that he's seen first hand from invading Telara.
- Anti-Hero: Easily the most ruthless of the Defiants, which is fitting considering his past in the Rift Cults. Much of his dialog suggests (and some outright states) that he considers himself beyond good and evil as long as the Dragons are defeated (Regulos and Akylios especially)
- The Atoner
- Badass Baritone
- Heel-Face Turn: "I gazed into the void, and I did not very wall want to be pulled further in."
- No Name Given: "Do not ask my name, for I abandoned it long ago."
"There is something oddly perfect about death."
Uriel is the daughter of Rahn Chuluun and a member of the Unseen's higher-ups, working directly with the faceless man. Her interests with the plane of death have led her to be at odds with her father. Good friends with Kira Thanos.
"I wish your presence meant good news, but I doubt it."
A higher up of the unseen with Faceless man and Uriel, Kira is the Kelari's deadliest assassin, going by the nickname "Azul Viper." Close friends with Uriel.
"Good is not enough. You must be great."
A renowned huntress who has "claimed more trophies than some entire tribes." Apparently one of the few people who can keep Uriel in line
"Fate? Destiny? Bah, let's make some miracles with our own two hands!"
The defiant's resource manager, Kaspar loves digging up lost peices of history as much as he loves his beer.
The Blood Storm
"A sailor might see a shark feed, and say he has seen hunger, or through a shark’s black eyes he might understand hunger and go mad. This is the difference between the true nature of the Blood Storm, and the dragon forms they take upon Telara."
The six Gods of the Elemental Planes that invaded Telara all at once. Five of them are counted among the seven greater Dragons while the sixth Akylios while mostly mistaken for a Dragon due to the fact that the other Blood Storm are Dragons is infact a herd of lesser Akvan swimming in the seas above Draumheim.
Regulos, Dragon of Death/Regulos, God of Death
"Regulos lies. He promises his cultists peace through death, but the peace of the void is not prosperity. He promises his lieutenants eternal power over the undead, but will unmake and consume all of reality to sate his hunger."
Dragon of Death and the single greatest threat to Telara, Regulos wants nothing less than the total cessation of all existence. Called the 'Dragon of Extinction', he is last and mightiest of the Blood Storm and the most dangerous to the lives of those on Telara. Amongst the dragons, he alone was not imprisoned when they were first defeated over a thousand years ago. Instead, his physical form was outright destroyed, his spirit banished beyond the Ward into the void between the planes. For over a millennia, he has railed and screamed against the wall separating him and the world, until he was finally able to subvert the crown-prince of Mathosia; Aedraxis Mathos. The result of his corruption was a crack in the Ward and the creation of the rifts. If Regulos is able to succeed, he will unmake everything until the universe is oblivion. His followers, the Endless Court, delude themselves with fantasies of ruling the world, but their master will leave no world to rule. His true form (Blood Storm of the Plane of Death AKA the God of Death) is killed in Endless Eclipse rendering him Deader Than Dead.
- Big Bad: The greatest threat of all the dragons.
- The Bad Guy Wins: In Terminus.
- Casting a Shadow.
- Deader Than Dead: After Endless Eclipse due to the destruction of both of his halves combined.
- Fighting a Shadow: During the Shade he creates a Shade of Regulos identical to his true form. In Terminus he creates a new Shade of Regulos similar to his Dragon half.
- God in Dragon Form: He creates a Dragon Avatar by the time of Terminus.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Is the only Blood Storm whose true nature is two beings (one Dragon child of Azdah and the other being a reincarnating spirit) being half of one humanoid Physical God.
- Literal Split Personality: One half was the Dragon of Death which was banished until king Aedraxis Mathos AKA the other half of real Blood Storm of Death summoned it to Terminus in order for the king to merge with it to create the complete God of Death.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Is offended by the concept of existence.
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: As shown by Endless Eclipse you actually can comprehend his completed true form since it's the humanoid body seen in Terminus which while normally just walking around on its own alongside his second Dragon Form (is embedded within an artificial body made from the flesh of his zombified servant Kain attached to the Plane of Death when you kill him in Endless Eclipse).
- You can also grasp his true nature as two beings who'd later merge with each other and can only be killed Deader Than Dead in their merged form... Of course anyone who grasped that fact before the birth of Regulos's other half would have gone mad from the futility of their efforts fufilling the Go Mad from the Revelation that results from learning a Blood Storm's true nature. Those from the present who want Regulos dead would see the merging of the two halves as their chance to render Regulos Deader Than Dead.
Alsbeth the Discordant.
"Weak minds crave domination. Weak flesh yearns to obey."
Regulos' lieutenant and leader of the Endless Court, Alsbeth seeks nothing more than her master's revival and the breaching of the Ward.
- Arch-Nemesis: To Asha Catari. The two went to school together, and Asha's dialog says that she was always trying to prove herself better. When Asha refused to become Regulos' Herald, Alsbeth rushed to take her place.
- Face-Heel Turn: Was once a Guardian Ascended before joining the Endless.
- You Have Failed Me: Was devoured by Regulos upon her final failure at the River of Souls.
"For I am not yet whole, have never been whole all my life. I shall tear apart the sky, and my other half shall join with me."
Former king of the Mathosians and the one who instigated the shade, every problem in Telara can be traced back to him joining the Endless Court.
- The Caligula: Was honestly so deluded as to believe he and Regulos were separate aspects of the same being. Judging from their Fusion Dance he was not only right but is in fact half of the real Blood Storm of Death whom Regulos is the other half of....
- God in Human Form: Is revealed at the end of the Gaurdian starting experience to be the reincarnation of half of the Blood Storm of Death's true soul and will and merges with his Dragon half to obtain his complete form.
- The Evil Prince: Before he became king. He arranged his father's death to ensure that he had the freedom to merge his reincarnated body with his Dragon Form Regulos.
Akylios, "Dragon" of Water/The Akylios Akvan Shark Herd, 2nd God of Water
"He was mad even before he learned all fears and secrets. There are no words for what Akylios is now."
"Dragon" of Water, Akylios is a mystery. His original goal was the pursuit of knowledge, and to that end he absorbed all the thoughts and secrets that Crucia scoured from her followers. He spent endless eons crossing from world to world, learning every tragic secret, every evil spell, sipping the nightmares of dying worlds. It is said that while the motives of the other dragons can be understood - the desire to hoard, to consume, to destroy - Akylios is beyond understanding. He does not seek victory or riches or domination, but will one day kill everyone just to listen to their screams. Second of the Blood Storm to fall.
His true form is a herd of Eldritch Abomination
shark Akvan that all look the same as his “Dragon” form. He'll be the third Blood Storm killed (at least partially considering he's literally a herd of Eldritch Abomination
sharks) in his true form.
- Degraded Boss: In his true form naturally (it's a herd of Akvan sharks identical to his "dragon" form and aren't World Raid bosses).
- Eldritch Abomination: Even by dragon standards due to actually being not one but thousands of tentacled sharks with multiple eyes on each one.
- Human standards of course see him or should we say them as a herd of bizzare looking sharks (though multiple bizzare looking sharks with tentacles and multiple eyes would probably unsettle the minds of Azdah's offspring due to the sheer absurdity of them being capable of holding rulership over the Plane of Water despite the best efforts of the real Dragon of Water).
- Go Mad from the Revelation: "Akylios covets knowledge, all knowledge. He learned every hideous secret he could, and invented many of his own, refusing to forget anything he learned even when his vast mind became full to the outer limits of madness."
- Those secrets include the secrets of the Akvan he or should we say they are members of and are infact named after.
- Those who realize that Akylios is actually a herd of Akvan sharks controlling one of their number as their avatar would in all likelyhood go more crazy than they would if they looked at a lesser shark's eyes to understand hunger.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: His 'gift' to his followers, the Abyssal.
- Loves the Sound of Screaming: "The living interest him because the tortured howls of races sound almost like music."
- Making a Splash
- One Of These Is Not Like The Others: Not only does he not look like a Dragon but unbeknownst to the inhabitants of Telara he's not a Dragon and is only a Blood Storm due to taking over the Plane of Water when they took over their specific Elemental Plane.
- The Stars Are Going Out: "[Akylios] floated in the cosmos, singing along to the dance of the stars. And the stars who heard him went cold and would sustain no life."
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: "Like all the Blood Storm, Akylios's true form is an expression of everything he represents, and can best be described as the best way to peel a man is in one long spiral strip, like an apple. So strange did Akylios become that even his cohorts found him unsettling, and his "dragon" form bears little resemblance to anything the sane would imagine."
- His true form is a herd of Eldritch Abomination sharks identical to his “Dragon” form which is infact extremely comprehensible (more so than whatever Regulos's human half Aedraxis Mathos really was before taking on human form) though ridiculous to the point where it becomes unsettling even for Dragons though what is likely unsettling to them is likely the fact that he's actually a herd of Akvan that conquered the Plane of Water pushing out the real Water Dragon.
Greenscale, Dragon of Life/Tasuil, Dragon of Life
"His ideal is constant, shifting struggle, where species of every sort live and die at each others’ throats, till only the most vicious survive—or something stronger comes along."
Dragon of Life, Greenscale personifies the phrase "survival of the fittest". To his mind, civilization is the subversion of nature, which should always be expressed in its purest form - kill or be killed. The forests that grow under his power are filled with relentless predation and unstoppable wildlife, usually at the same time. Those who find themselves lost in his woods are often forced to become a feral beast themselves just to survive, until they can find themselves killing their own families without realizing it. His cult, the Aelfwar, is really only the noble house of the High Elves who support his cause to tear down all remnants of civilization. True to his nature, Greenscale cares nothing for his followers, but instead is only interested in creating a world choked by the deadliest of jungles and where living minute to minute is the greatest of accomplishments.
- Green Thumb
- Light Is Good: The second avatar of the Blood Storm of the Plane of Life Tasuil not to mention the very Blood Storm he's an avatar of on the other hand... His body is white, unlike Greenscale's, which is green.
- Light Is Not Good: Greenscale's ideal of natural beauty is parasitic plants the size of a human head, murderous foliage, and survival by any means.
- The Lost Woods: If he has his way, the entire world will become this...
- Man-Eating Plant: ...filled with these...
- When Trees Attack: ...and these.
- Wild Child: What people become if they find themselves lost in the woods.
Maelforge, Dragon of Fire/Woragrath, favorite pet Dragon of Glasya Queen of the Flame
"The red dragon is chaos incarnate. Any goals beyond sowing turmoil and ruin are a waste of his time."
Dragon of Fire, Maelforge has no greater motive beyond destruction. However, unlike Regulos who seeks to permanently unmake all of existence, Maelforge takes pleasure in the very act of destruction. To this end, he is always careful not to destroy something completely, but to allow enough to survive so that he can destroy it again in the future. He ultimately desires a world where he can fly from nation to nation, burning down each one before leaving to let it rebuild, as he destroys another that has just been rebuilt. The least subtle of the dragons, this mindset extends to his followers, the Wanton, who will destroy anything ranging from individual lives to entire nations. Maelforge predictably hates Greenscale, but also Regulos, who would leave him with nothing to destroy. It is later revealed on the official site that his boss the de jure ruler of the Plane of Fire Glasya Queen of the Flame is invading the Plane of Water to turn it into a second
Plane of Fire.
Crucia, Dragon of Air
"A lifelong friend suddenly changes expression and becomes a deadly assassin. Children turn against their parents, and kings are killed by their consorts, who the night before swore love eternal."
Dragoness of Air, Crucia desires total control of the world. She sees individual minds and thoughts as a cacophonous bother, one that she will correct by erasing every song except her own. By using the power of air, Crucia erodes the mind and will of an individual, replacing everything within them with herself. Her cult, the Storm Legion, is exclusively made of such people. She is the most subtle and possibly the most dangerous dragon, and was able to subvert and infiltrate every major power during the Age of Dragons before her imprisonment. Unlike the other dragons, her cage is far from hidden: the combined power of a pyromancer and shaman sealed her away in a deep lake from which they banished all heat, creating an endless winter for miles around.
- An Ice Person: Ice is just as tied to Crucia's Air element as Wind and Lightning are.
- Big Bad: Of the Storm Legion expansion where everything results from her plans with the later patches resulting from her kill Regulos plan backfiring on both her and the world at large.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Ends up being this to both Akylios and Demogos (and by extension his true form Arak).
- Blow You Away
- Body Snatcher: After her defeat in the Frozen Tempest she takes control of Queen Miela Aurentis's body. This is shown in the "A Hero Rises" - Chronicle. Doesn't stop the Blood Storm of the Plane of Air from attempting (and failing) to create a new avatar.
- Brainwashed: How she gains members for her cult.
- The Chessmaster: Rather than fight directly, Crucia prefers manipulate others. She only stays imprisoned because, inside it, no one can harm her.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Air has the advantage over Death, since there's nothing solid for the Death magic to influence. Because of this, Crucia is said to be the only dragon who can defeat Regulos one-on-one. This may or may not be the reason why they mated and have had children.
- She's not capable of beating Regulos's True Form with her Dragon Form though.
- Hoist by Her Own Petard: Her attempt to invade the Plane of Water through the Infinity Gate she escaped her prison to obtain resulted in her being captured by the Akylios breed of Akvan who presumably seek to turn her into their minion.
- Might as Well Not Be in Prison at All: She secretly holed up in the roof of her temple while her would be "jailors" turned the valley where her temple was located in into a frozen lake while leaving the roof of the temple untouched and ready to shatter just by moving a muscle when she has need to leave her temple so by definition she avoided imprisonment entirely!
- The only reason she hadn't left her temple until the Infinity Gate was rebuilt was because she can control the Storm Legion just fine without moving a muscle (which would have and did destroyed her hideout) and her enemies think she's many meters under the unmeltable ice so she's quite safe inside her fortress.
- Nice Job Breaking it Crucia: Crucia's arranging the death of Regulos leads to the arrival of the Akvan and Demogos's true form Arak. What's more her attempts to control the Akvan lead to them capturing and controling her for their purposes.
- Sensible Heroes, Skimpy Villains: The first thing she does after taking over Queen Miela Aurentis's body is change into skimpier clothing.
- Shock and Awe
- Unishment: All attempting and failing (considering she had holed up in the roof of her own temple which was above the ice prison she practically avoided punishment entirely) to imprisoning her did was give her an excellent fortress to serve as a Red Herring to distract he enemies giving her freedom to exercise her Mind Control from her real fortress AKA her temple.
- We Can Rule Together: She offers this to the Ascended after escaping her prison in order to obtain the Infinity Gate. She succeeds after her dragon body is killed and she hijacks Queen Miela Aurentis's body.
- World of Silence: Her main goal.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: She attempts this on the Ascended. It backfires badly.
Laethys, Dragon of Earth
"Laethys will feast atop a pile of famished wretches. All will adore her alone, and she will never give them quite enough."
Dragoness of Earth, Laethys' one and only goal is to own everything
. From her point of view, all riches and wealth already belong to her - she is merely reclaiming them. This extends to all members of her cult, the Golden Maw, whose members extend through the rich and nobility. While she is one of the least destructive dragons, her influence can be far more damaging. It is through Laethys and her followers that entire nations can find their wealth gone, funneled into the bottomless gullet of the Golden Maw. Unlike other cults, her followers are the rich and the powerful, the wealthy merchant or the greedy noble. Whether it be a single copper coin or a pretty slave, Laethys will never be satisfied until everything in creation belongs solely to her. It is for this reason that she particularly despises Regulos, who would destroy what she would own, and her own sister, Crucia, who would replace heated lust for gold with passionless serenity.
Goddess of Fate
A rogue member of the Vigil who allied with the Blood Storm. Her Sinister Voices (not to be mistaken for Demogos's Sinister Presences): Tyshe the Messenger of Fate and the Drekanoth of Fate travel back in time to aid the Dragons with their powers. She is also the original Goddess of the Plane of Earth before Laethys took over.
Izkinra, Dragon of Water
Dragon of Water who failed to conquer the Plane of Water from Akylios (likely due to the sheer numbers of the God of Water's true form). He lies in wait on Mount Sharax.
- An Ice Person: All of his attacks are this.
- The Dragon: A literal example to Draum and as such is only seen at Mount Sharax where you kill him.
- Making a Splash: Though unlike Akylios it's only of the Kill It with Ice variety.
- One Of These Is Not Like The Others: The only Dragon child of Azdah who failed to become an actual Blood Storm due to the lesser breed of Akvan known Akylios taking over the Plane of Water as its god(s) and holding out against him. He's also seems to be the only one whose true form is an actual Dragon.
Demogos, Dragon of Nightmare/Arak, Lord of Nightmares
The successor to the position of Lord of Nightmares to Draum the first God of Dreams/Water within the Plane of Water, his true form Arak, Lord of Nightmares sent his Dragon avatar Demogos (considered a false Dragon by the Atragarians and Demogos himself due to the fact that he was born from Nightmare rather than from Azdah's eggs like the Blood Storm's Dragon forms) to bring Nightmares and his Akvan predecessors to the physical plane of Telara.
- Big Bad: Is this in his Demogos form for both the Storm Legion expansion and the upcoming Nightmare Tide Expansion.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: With Draum in the Nightmare Tide Expansion
- Big Bad Ensemble: With Glasya and the Goddess of Fate in the Nightmare Tide Expansion.
- Climax Boss: As the villain behind the attacks on Telara his boss fight in the Raid instance located in the city of dreams Draumheim is this for the Nightmare Tide expansion.
- Eldritch Abomination: His head looks like one when peaking through the Nightmare Rifts.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: He and the Akvan are this and escape when Regulos dies.
- Screw Destiny: His minions mock the Goddess of Fate's actions as a cruel trick.
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: What we see of his true form hovering under the Nightmare Rifts shows him as a disembodied multi-eyed head surrounded by floating mouths seperated from his lower body which looks like pieces of wood covered in eyes though it would seem his "dragon" form on the other hand looks like your stereotypical dragon (specifically a green reskin of the lesser Dragon known as Scarn) though one with Nightmare manifesting abilities. His second manifestation looks humanoid.
The AkvanThe Old Gods more
powerful than the Blood Storm with the exception of their weaker members known the Akylios who count as one of the Blood Storm. Held back by Regulos they seek to return to Telara.
- Always a Bigger Fish: Their stronger members are individually stronger than the Blood Storm are. Their weaker members known as the Akylios combined is even counted among the Blood Storm due to their rulership over the Plane of Water.
- Eldritch Abomination: All of them aside from the crab shaped ones (which include Matrodraum). Most are Akylios while others are more Eldritch (like Yrlwalach) or less Eldritch (like Izbithu) in appearence then the Akylios are regardless of power.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Aside from the Akylios (whose avatar is one) all of them are.
Druam, 1st God of Water/Matrodraum, first of the Akvan/Kondraum, Ruler of Draumheim
The god who dreamed the Plane of Water into existance and now that the Blood Storm's dragon forms are dead he's waking up which is causing water to disappear from the Plane of Water turning the Elemental Plane
into an Eldritch Location
where there are vertical water surfaces bordering the dry areas. His dream forms include both the first of the Akvan but also the ruler of Draumheim.
- Always a Bigger Fish: Not only is he a more powerful God of Water than Akylios but one of his minions the Yrlwalach (whose face has been previously seen popping out of every Water Rift in the game) is more of an Eldritch Abomination than the Akylios! He also has a more powerful Dragon serving him: Izkinra the real Dragon of Water spawned by Azdah.
- Big Bad: Of the Nightmare Tide Expansion in his Akvan form.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: With Arak, Lord of Nightmares in the Nightmare Tide Expansion.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: His Good Dream avatar Kondraum at the hands of Arak when you bring him to the end of the Citadel of Insanity Dungeon.
- Giant Enemy Crab: His Akvan avatar Matrodraum.
- Literal Split Personality: With Kondraum being good and opposed to Arak and Matrodraum being evil and allied with Arak.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: His minions The Old Gods known as the Akvan which include the Akylios themselves are even more Lovecraftian than Akylios's followers.
- That's No Moon! : He is the seashell moon of the Plane of Water and when he starts to wake the water of his Dream World gets carved out and goes to him for some unspecified purpose.
- The Unfought: You'll see his true form yet not fight him despite trying to stop him from draining the Plane of Water of all water. His Akvan avatar Matrodraum and his Good Dream avatar Kondraum on the other hand.....
- Unholy Matrimony: With the Akvan Izbithu who is frozen into a Sealed Evil in a Can...
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: The part of him seen while he's asleep is a big spiral seashell though what's likely sleeping inside that seashell.....