Characters / Madlax
Madlax (The Gatekeeper of Hell is All Alone)
An agent for hire in the war torn country of Gazth-Sonika. She is a part of Margaret, released after the horrible plane crash incident.
A usually sleepy eyed and slightly amnesiac aristocrat.
Elenore Baker (Everyday Gatekeeper)
Margaret's loving and very devoted personal assistant and maid.
- Action Girl: In certain circles it's joked er... hinted that she's the teacher of Roberta from Black Lagoon.
- Badass Lesbian: She can kick ass along with Madlax and she's very much dedicated to her master Margaret.
- Beach Episode: Episode 9. One of the few times in the series that you see her wearing something other than her maid uniform.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's very nice but if harm comes to Margaret, she will show no mercy to the perpetrator. Lopez found this out the hard way in Episode 6 and when Margaret revealed that her wrist hurt because of Lopez's grip, Elenore didn't hesitate to break Lopez's wrist in turn.
- Cannot Spit It Out: In Episode 21. When she finds out that Margaret went through the Gate of Truth with Carrossea, she states that this can't be possible because Margaret is... Something to her. Elenore couldn't say it out properly but it's clear what she was going to say.
- And again in Episode 24 during a flashback. As she takes up Vanessa's offer of being driven back home after doing some grocery shopping, Vanessa asks if looking after Margaret all the time is tedious. Elenore denies this and says that protecting Margaret is the most important thing to her and that Margaret is... Something to her once again. Despite prodding by Vanessa to continue, Elenore doesn't but once again, it's made clear what she meant to say.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Downplayed example towards Margaret as she doesn't want Margaret to grow fond of any guys. She does deny it when Vanessa asks her about it, though.
- Later cranked up in Episode 17, though. She doesn't take kindly to Carrossea getting closer to Margaret.
- Gainax Ending: Her fate and that of Vanessa and Carrossea has been the cause of some intense debates over if Margaret resurrected her or not.
- Just Friends: Vanessa and her in the first half of the series, until Vanessa hooks up with Madlax.
- Kick Chick: Watch Episodes 6 and 24 for prime examples of this.
- Killed Off for Real: In Episode 24.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Episode 6.
- Meganekko: Episode 14.
- Messianic Archetype: Tragically becomes one.
- Ninja Maid: Oh God, does she ever prove it. In fact, she did such a good job of proving it that we've made her the Greater Goddess of Ninja Maids.
- Old Retainer: Her grandpa was this, and she'd fit if not for her age since the Bakers have served the Burtons for generations.
- Plucky Girl: Pretty much one the entire series.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: One episode she gets on a mounted gun and starts firing off like hell.
- Undying Loyalty: To Margaret. Regardless of the circumstances, she will always protect her master.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Episode 14. The only other episode that she wears something other than her maid uniform.
Vanessa Rene (Gatekeeper of Happiness)
Margaret and Elenore's friend who's determined to find the truth and clear her parent's names. She's also an employee of Bookwald in order to find their connection to the civil war Gazth-Sonika.
- Bodyguard Crush: On Madlax. It's mutual.
- Cool Big Sis: To Elenore and Margaret.
- Died Happily Ever After: Vanessa is reunited with her parents after saying goodbye to Madlax.
- Gainax Ending: Her ultimate fate at the end of the series. Whether Margaret used the books to resurrect her was left up in the air.
- Gaining the Will to Kill: The Actual Pacifist Vanessa has trouble coming to terms with shooting a guy to protect Madlax until the latter confirms that she only wounded him. Still, this leads to quite a bit of Character Development in Vanessa, who eventually asks Madlax to teach her to shoot properly.
- Guile Heroine: Considering she has no combat experience and has never even picked up a gun (at first anyway), she relies on her wit in order to survive and get the information that she needs. Best shown when she finally arrives at Gazth-Sonika and she needs to find the terminal containing the data that will expose her company's illegal dealings in the country.
- Heroic BSOD: She has one at the beginning of Episode 17 after she shoots a soldier that was about to kill Madlax. While Vanessa fails to actually kill the soldier and only wounds him (he's shown to be alive later on in the episode with his right arm in a sling), she still considers the act of just shooting someone "unforgivable." She later snaps out of it and asks Madlax to teach her how to shoot.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Shields Madlax from getting shot by Limelda.
- Just Friends: With Elenore.
- Lipstick Lesbian: While it's never actually stated, whatever her relationship with them is, she tends to flirt with/check out Elenore and Madlax, yet she's never shown doing the same to a man.
- Nice Hat: She has one in the Beach Episode.
- Senseless Sacrifice: She takes a bullet for Madlax near the end of the series. However, considering Madlax is immortal and immune to all forms of conventional damage, she died for nothing.
- Ship Tease: With Madlax.
- The Promise: Her's to Madlax and vice versa.
- Teach Me How To Fight: When shit's about to go down, she asks Madlax to teach her how to use a gun.
Friday Monday is the enigmatic founder and head of the Enfant Organization. Very little is known about his past before 1999, when he used his Gift to open the Door of Truth in a failed attempt to plunge the world into a total war, which, as he believes, is it's natural state.
A beautiful and deadly Dark Action Girl
whose boss dies at Madlax's hand. She is very
displeased by that, and as such she starts chasing after Madlax.
A strange and very creepy little girl seen more than once holding on her handmade doll. She is also a part of Margaret, and the keeper of her memories. As such, she's stuck in the Sanctuary.
Colonel Richard Burton
Voiced by: Toru Okawa (Japanese), Ben Hamby (English)
Margaret's Disappeared Dad
. Killed by the recently "born" Madlax after Monday uses the Words of Awakening on him.
Carrossea Doon a.k.a Poupee
Carrossea is officially an independent contractor working for Bookwald Industries, although, in reality, he is one of Enfant's best operatives and the right-hand man of Friday Monday himself.
- Creepy Child: As Poupee.
- Dead All Along: He only was alive due to his Gift and his unyielding wish to protect Margaret. Once he realizes this... he fades away out of existence.
- The Dragon: To Friday Monday.
- Dragon with an Agenda
- Gainax Ending: His fate and that of Vanessa and Elenore have been the cause of some intense debates over if Margaret resurrected him or not.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Sort-of, to Margaret. Poupee was another survivor of the plane crash, fell for Margaret, vowed to protect her... and died Taking the Bullet for her. His Gift kicked in and he sort-of lived on. Then, Friday took the amnesiac kid in and named him Carrossea, with his Poupee self remaining stuck at the Sanctuary.
A mysterious woman who knows about the true cause of the civil war in Gazth-Sonika. She is later revealed to hold the third of the three Books of Truth, Thirstari
A woman who serves under Quanzitta. Much like her master, she also knows about the true cause of the civil war in Gazth-Sonika.
- Badass: Definitely considering she can fight evenly against Madlax of all people.
- Badass Normal: Compared to the Extraordinarily Empowered Girl Madlax, Nakhl has no known confirmed supernatural abilities yet can still fight against the mercenary evenly.
- Bare Your Midriff: Much like her master.
- Knife Nut: Is never shown using guns. She prefers to fight using her knife and she proves to be very skilled with it.
- Mysterious Watcher: Watches over both Carrossea and Margaret early on in the series.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Pulls this off multiple times throughout the series. She's so good at this that even Madlax herself has difficulty sensing her presence.