Madlax (The Gatekeeper of Hell is All Alone)
An agent for hire in the war torn country of Gazth-Sonika. She is a part of Margaret, released after the horrible plane crash incident.
- Action Girl: As the highest rated mercenary in Gazth-Sonika, this is a given.
- All-Loving Hero: She's kind to everyone, sticks her neck out for people she barely knows, and only fights to bring an end to the war in Gazth-Sonika. A perfect example of this is when she's hired to publicly assassinate the commander of Gazth-Sonika's armies, Guen McNichol. When she's told that the target was also the person who commissioned the hit, she sneaks into his residence at night and, after discerning his motives, comforts him before leaving.
- Anti-Hero: She's not a bad person once you get to know her, she'll stick her neck out for friends and even acquaintances, and she's only fighting to put an end to the war as quickly as possible, but she's still a mercenary— considered to be the very best (read: possessing the highest bodycount) in Gazth-Sonika— who kills hundreds without really batting an eye.
- Ass Kicking Pose: She has a lot of these.
- Badass: The biggest one of them all.
- Badass Adorable: Madlax is oh so very sweet and cute for a mass-murderer.
- Bi the Way: She's shown some interest in men, but her relationship with Vanessa is decidedly not platonic.
- Big Damn Heroes
- Code Name: Her name has always simply been known as MADLAX.
- Compressed Hair: Her hair disappears whenever she wears a motorbike helmet.
- Cursed with Awesome: Her Immortality.
- Dissonant Serenity: She's terrifyingly calm whenever she fights. Sometimes, she even closes her eyes.
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl: She has extremely honed combat instincts and, despite her young age, several years of hard combat experience under her belt, but aside from that she's pretty much normal. We find out later in the series that she's also immortal, but she still qualifies for this trope because her immortality really isn't any help in combat because it doesn't heal her fast enough, and while Madlax can't die, she can still lose. We've even deified her.
- Fingerless Gloves
- Gun Fu/Gun Kata: She uses both.
- The Gunslinger: Well, naturally.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- Innocent Fanservice Girl
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: The red and white cocktail dresses.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: She can snipe a target from farther away than even an expert sniper thought possible.
- Legacy Character: Madlax isn't the first person to go by that title. The first one was Margaret's father.
- Meaningful Name
- Ms. Fanservice
- Mysterious Past: Just one of many.
- One-Man Army: Platoons- even companies- of soldiers can do nothing but die in droves when Madlax starts fighting.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: "Madlax" is her codename, but everyone uses it.
- Only One Name
- Out of the Inferno: In Episode 1.
- Theme Music Power-Up: Yanmaani!
- Trademark Favorite Food: "Yeah, PASTA!"
- Weapon of Choice: The SIG P210.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?
A usually sleepy eyed and slightly amnesiac aristocrat.
Elenore Baker (Everyday Gatekeeper)
Margaret's loving and very devoted personal assistant and maid.
Vanessa Rene (Gatekeeper of Happiness)
Margaret and Elenore's friend who's determined to find the truth and clear her parent's names. She's also an employee of Bookwald in order to find their connection to the civil war Gazth-Sonika.
Friday Monday is the enigmatic founder and head of the Enfant Organization. Very little is known about his past before 1999, when he used his Gift to open the Door of Truth in a failed attempt to plunge the world into a total war, which, as he believes, is it's natural state.
A beautiful and deadly Dark Action Girl
whose boss dies at Madlax's hand. She is very
displeased by that, and as such she starts chasing after Madlax.
A strange and very creepy little girl seen more than once holding on her handmade doll. She is also a part of Margaret, and the keeper of her memories. As such, she's stuck in the Sanctuary.
Colonel Richard Burton
Margaret's Disappeared Dad
. Killed by the recently "born" Madlax after Monday uses the Words of Awakening on him.
Carrossea Doon a.k.a Poupee
Carrossea is officially an independent contractor working for Bookwald Industries, although, in reality, he is one of Enfant's best operatives and the right-hand man of Friday Monday himself.
- Creepy Child: As Poupee.
- Dead All Along: He only was alive due to his Gift and his unyielding wish to protect Margaret. Once he realizes this... he fades away out of existence.
- The Dragon: To Friday Monday.
- Dragon with an Agenda
- Gainax Ending: His fate and that of Vanessa and Elenore have been the cause of some intense debates over if Margaret resurrected him or not.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Sort-of, to Margaret. Poupee was another survivor of the plane crash, fell for Margaret, vowed to protect her... and died Taking the Bullet for her. His Gift kicked in and he sort-of lived on. Then, Friday took the amnesiac kid in and named him Carrossea, with his Poupee self remaining stuck at the Sanctuary.