We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Characters: Hellsing Anime
See also the Character page
for the Hellsing
manga and OVA; for characters who appear in both, this page focuses on tropes unique to the TV anime
open/close all folders
- Berserk Button: 'WHAT DID YOU DO?!' (episode 9).
- Break the Haughty: After episode 9 nearly gets Integra killed, he behaves far more thoughtful and considerate with her.
- Dracula: In the final episode, there's a brief moment where Alucard's face resembles Vlad (III) Dracula's.
- Evil Laugh
- Happiness in Slavery: Slight subversion, he's not so happy and seems Sealed Evil in a Can, but he hates the idea of losing Integra more (episode 9).
- The Hero
- Historical Beauty Update: Played straight and then subverted with his 'level one' appearance. Unlike the manga, his appearance as Vlad actually resembles his historical portraits.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He gets "killed" by trying to shoot Incognito with his Jackal. Afterwards, when he gets better, he uses Incognito's powers against him in a Genre Savvy way.
- Humanoid Abomination
- I Love You, Draculina Daughter: Some shades of this with Seras and the reason why he keeps offering Integra his blood.
- In-Series Nickname: Monster is the most frequent. There is also Peter Pan, his codename.
- Lolicon: "Excellent! I feel such a rage swelling between my legs!" might not be the most reassuring line to say to a little girl while you pin her to a wall with No Sense of Personal Space.
- Meaningful Name: Do you really need it explained?
- Mysterious Past: Other than the shot of Vlad Tepes mentioned above, it's never really said what or who Alucard is unlike the manga which explicitly shows events from his past.
- Noble Demon: The TV series cuts back on some of his Kick the Dog moments and makes him downright paternal to Seras.
- The Masochism Tango: With Integra.
- The Obi-Wan: To Seras.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives a few to vampires he considers to be a disgrace to their species.
: Children without faith... if you had any control you would travel as fog or as a bat. You've gone and taken all those lives, and not even because you were thirsty.
Is it fun? Is that what it takes for filth like you to get off? Cheap little two-bits terrors.[...] Eternity is wasted on the likes of you.
- One-Winged Angel: Level 1, his most powerful form.
- Poisonous Friend
- Psychopathic Manchild: Type C, mostly, but with some type B in there - which matches the original novel's description of Dracula having a child mind.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: He's damn proud of being a True Undead. Integra occasionally taunts him, prickling his pride.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red.
- Single-Target Sexuality: He seems to have this toward Integra one way on another. He only changes Seras because she has Integra's eyes, and the news reporter that he bites midway through the series has Integra's coloring.
- Undying Loyalty: Less of it than the Manga, but he will serve his master.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her hair is much more yellowish in the manga and OVA, but she's a strawberry blonde in the anime.
- Audience Surrogate
- Betty and Veronica
- BFG: Harkonnen
- Break the Cutie
- Chickification: Compared to her Manga counterpart, this Seras is smarter, but not as asskicking (most likely because the anime didn't adapt material past Volume 2) and gets too many Distressed Damsel instances (like in episode 3, where it only took one of Anderson's bayonet to knock her out).
- Daddy's Girl: With a Missing Mom, she seems to be abnormally attached to her father, unlike her manga counterpart.
- Day Walking Vampire: Seras seems to have to wear hats and sunglasses, but it seen outdoors in light a few times, though those times it was a bit cloudy.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: She has a humorous learning experience with this in the second episode. At the firing range, one of the Hellsing soldiers suggests that the massive 13.7mm Anti-Midians rifle might suit her better. Seras protests that she wouldn't even be able to lift it, only to yank it clean out of the guy's hands one-handed when she tries, leading to this conversation:
Seras: That's strange. What's it made of, is it plastic?
Soldier: It weighs in at 15 kilos, plus a couple more for ammo.
Seras: *Shaking the gun up-and-down with one hand* It's really that heavy?
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire
- Happiness in Slavery: She refuses Alucard's offer when he wanted to give Seras her freedom.
- I Am What I Am
- Iconic Outfit: It's not manga canon, but Seras looks good in blue.
- In-Series Nickname: Kitten, Police Girl, Tiger Lily (in reference to Peter Pan).
- Green-Eyed Monster: Her reaction when the relationship between Alucard and Integra softens in the last episodes.
- Missing Mom: No picture of her at all.
- Morality Pet: She is this to Alucard.
- Ms. Fanservice: Up to Eleven from her Manga version (who never wore a revealing outfit other than her Hellsing uniform).
- The Nose Knows: In addition to the "third eye" ability seen in the manga, Seras also has an enhanced sense of smell as a vampire. She uses it to detect a bomb in the 5th episode.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Subverted, as she's a Friendly Neighborhood Vampire. But a vampire nonetheless.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue.
- Replacement Goldfish: She might have been intended to be this. According to Studio Gonzo, Alucard turned her because her eyes reminded him of Young Integra's.
- Rookie Red Ranger
- The Squadette
- Vampire Detective: She journeys into this trope in some of the filler arcs.
- Vegetarian Vampire
- What Have I Become?: She struggles with losing her humanity, but accepts her vampiric nature much earlier than in the manga, drinking medical blood in the fourth episode.
- The Anime makes a serious emphasis on this, while the manga was barely referred over it or it was Played for Laughs with Seras' making comical reactions, and Fanservice when she finally licked Integra's finger.
- Zettai Ryouiki:
- Attempted Rape: Victim of three of them.
- Ambiguously Brown: Her mother is shown wearing a sari, implying Indian heritage.
- Berserk Button: Anything that humiliates and stains her Organization and soldiers. She'll avenge a thousandfold. Especially traitors.
- Betty and Veronica
- Break the Cutie: Poor, poor young Integra...
- Break the Haughty: What happened from episode 9 and towards the end.
- Cry Cute: Episode 10.
- Daddy's Girl: Unlike her manga counterpart (who occasionally remembers her father but mostly when Alucard triggers some memory and doesn't keep even a picture of him), in the Anime Integra seemed to love and dearly miss him (keeping his portrait in her office), but also resent his shadow.
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- Green-Eyed Monster: Her reaction to Alucard turning Seras for the first episodes. He seemed to be aware of this, giving her a knowing smirk.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Integra thinks this way when she announces to Walter that Her Majesty has abandoned them at the end of the series.
- Heir Club for Men: The anime plays up the bureaucratic stress on Integra caused by her peers.
- Honor Before Reason: Subversion. The ending of episode 9 seems to fit this trope way, but actually she stabbed her neck not to choose death over being tainted by vampire's blood but to fight for her life. Otherwise she would have become a mindless ghoul.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: In episode 9 and 13.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: She is able to shoot the shape of a cross onto a vampire's face; this kind of accuracy is nearly impossible in Real Life.
- In-Series Nickname: Lady of Steel (in supplement material), Virgin of the Royal Protestant Order, Protestant Swine (Maxwell's nickname for her), Wendy (to continue the Peter Pan parallels codenames).
- It's All My Fault
- Knight Templar
- Large Ham
- Missing Mom: There is a picture of her holding baby Integra, and a scene that could imply that she committed suicide.
- Not So Different: To Alucard, she even acknowledges this in episode 4. "Your world is my world."
- Say My Name: "Acknowledge my approval! ALUCAAAAARRRD!"
- Sharp Dressed Woman: As "Sir" Integra, she wears a stylish suit.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- The Masochism Tango with Alucard.
- The Un-Reveal: Will she take Alucard's blood? She only smirks as an answer as the blood drips down.
- Virgin Power: Still a virgin here and apparently her blood is super delicious to vampires, and leads to her almost becoming a Virgin Sacrifice to open the gate of Hell.