We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Characters: Gintama Kiheitai
Back to the main character index.
The primary antagonists of the series, the Kiheitai is a radical branch of the Anti-Foreigner Faction led by Takasugi.
open/close all folders
- Five-Bad Band: The officers of the Kiheitai form one:
- La Résistance: During the Joi War, the Kiheitai was part of the resistance force. It still serves as one in the present, but much darker.
- The Remnant: The Anti-Foreigner Faction may have lost the war, but the Kiheitai keeps on fighting.
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (JP), Kyle Jones (EN, movie)
A former comrade of Gintoki and Katsura during the Joi War and the series' primary antagonist
. He leads a radical branch of the Anti-Foreigner Faction
called the Kiheitai
(Demon Soldiers Army) and is known amongst the Shinsengumi as one of the most dangerous criminals around. After the war ended, he vanished and has since gained a deadly reputation due to his assassination of many of the Bakufu's main officers.
Unlike Katsura, he believes that the only way to save the country is to destroy the "rotten" post-Joi war world. His resentment and overwhelming spite drove him to strike a partnership with the Harusame Space Pirates
in order to eliminate the Bakufu.
- Arch-Enemy: Gintoki's and Katsura's.
- Badass: He was a former comrade-in-arms with Gintoki and Katsura during the Joi War, there's no way he's not badass.
- Big Bad: Arguably the main antagonist of the series.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Later on enters in an alliance with fellow major villain Kamui, and then allies himself as well with the shogun-to-be Nobunobu Hitotsubashi.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: His kimono is covered in golden butterflies and the symbolism is perfectly in-line with his radical intentions.
- The Chessmaster: He's managed to turn his small but dangerous organisation into a major player in the great scheme of things through the acquisition and manipulation of new allies, to the point where he's managed to ally himself with the Shogun-to-be Nobunobu, and at the same time be seen as an equal.
- The Corrupter: Often corrupts others, including his employers, into evildoing.
- The Dreaded: The Bakufu rightly fears him and everybody begins panicking when he gets involved.
- Eyepatch of Power: His bandages serve as one.
- Evil Counterpart/Shadow Archetype: His character is a fairly good representation of what Gintoki and Katsura could become if they ever decide to go on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- Evil Former Friend: Of Gintoki and Katsura.
- Faux Affably Evil
- Freudian Excuse: Shoyo Yoshida's unfair treatment and death at the hands of the Bakufu sent him flying over the Despair Event Horizon and led to his view of the world being rotten and unsalvageable.
- Giggling Villain
- Historical-Domain Character: Takasugi Shinsaku.
- It's Personal: Towards the Bakufu as whole for ordering Shoyo's arrest and execution, but especially towards the former Shogun Sadasada and the Tendoshu. He personally takes the head of the former in prison.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: He kills the Shogun's corrupt uncle in the Courtesan of a Nation Arc. Said person was responsible for Shouyou's death along with many other atrocities.
- Knight of Cerebus: Whenever Takasugi shows up, things start getting very serious.
- Knight Templar: Believes that the eradication of everything is the only way to save the country.
- Manipulative Bastard: So far, he's actually shown a fair amount of restraint when it comes to his Kiheitai, but he's not above igniting mutiny among the Shinsengumi by manipulating one of their advisors.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: The world as he sees it is a rotten place which can only be saved by destroying it.
- Perpetual Smiler: Always seen with a smile or smirk on his face. Turns psychotic when he gets excited.
- Pocket Protector: An old school book saves him when Katsura pulls a surprise attack on him from within an Elizabeth costume.
- Psychotic Smirk: His default expression.
- The Remnant: His Kiheitai.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: He is especially bitter at the world for taking away his, Katsura and Gintoki's teacher, Shoyo.
- Slasher Smile: He's more prone to Psychotic Smirks, but he occasionally gives one of these as well.
- Smoking Is Cool: Smokes a kiseru, which is a Japanese type of pipe.
- Visionary Villain
Voiced by: Takumi Yamazaki (JP), Andrew Love (EN, movie)
Regarded as one of the strongest swordsmen in the country, Bansai serves as second-in-command of the Kiheitai
. He carries a shamisen which doubles as a tool for garroting or tying up his opponents.
On top of being famous as a skilled swordsman, Bansai is also a talented songwriter. He works as a music producer under the name Tsunpo
and the pop idol Otsu's newer songs are written by him. Overall, Bansai is shown to have an extremely calm demeanor, although he is capable of violence when necessary and appears to take an interest in potential challenges to his skill.
Voiced by: Risa Hayamizu (JP), Carli Mosier (EN, movie)
A member of the Kiheitai
who is skilled at using firearms rather than swords. She wields a pair of pistols and is known as the "Red Bullet" for her honed sharpshooting skills. She is extremely loyal to Takasugi to the point where it appears she has a crush on him. She is quick-tempered, easily agitated, and prone to screeching when upset.
Voiced by: Chafurin (JP), George Manley (EN, movie)
The strategist of the Kiheitai
is notable for his strange fetishes and his usually brilliant assessment of situations. While capable of fighting, his abilities are less notable in comparison to other big players of the Kiheitai
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: In the matters of organisation and strategy, he's actually quite competent, but it's offset by his fetishes and weird habits.
- Butt Monkey: The Kiheitai's resident Butt Monkey, who suffers all of the humorous abuse among its members.
- The Evil Genius
- Genre Savvy: He's well aware that Gintoki, Katsura and Sakamoto will be a future threat to Takasugi's plans and takes steps towards eliminating them.
- Insistent Terminology: "I'm not a lolicon, I'm a feminist!"
- Lolicon: However much he denies it or tries to twist it positively.
- The Nondescript: He looks like a generic ronin mook.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Often tries to pass off as Takasugi, which almost always ends with him getting beaten up by Matako and Bansai. Gintoki, Sakamoto and Katsura also get to beat him up when he shows up at their reunion party dressed as Takasugi.
- The Strategist: Most of his actual planning is done off-screen, but he does exposit on the Kiheitai's plans.
Voiced by: Yutaka Aoyama (JP), Jay Hickman (EN, movie)
The main antagonist of the Benizakura Arc. A blind sword-for-hire who works for the Kiheitai and who normally answers to Shinsuke.
He's first encountered by Gintoki and the Yorozuya while he's working for Kahei Hashida
. He fights Gintoki, who breaks his sword and defeats him. At the onset of the Benizakura Arc, he tries to assassinate Katsura with the cursed sword Benizakura, but fails to actually kill him. He then becomes more crazed and out of control due to Benizakura gradually turning his body into a cybernetic extension of itself
. After Gintoki sets off to find the vanished Katsura, the two cross paths again, with Nizo defeating him with the help of Benizakura. He is later on presumed killed in his third and final encounter with Gintoki aboard the Kiheitai's main ship.
- An Arm and a Leg: Shinpachi cuts off his right arm while he's busy trying to kill Gintoki, but he replaces it with Benizakura.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Benizakura turns into one as it grafts itself onto his right arm, later replacing it entirely when Shinpachi cuts it off.
- Blind Weaponmaster: He's blind, but still a quite accomplished swordsman.
- Blood Knight
- Body Horror: Benizakura turns him into a monstrous combination of machine and flesh as it takes over his body.
- The Brute: Serves as the Kiheitai's strongarm, being quite good at killing, but not very good at handling more delicate matters.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: The longer he wields Benizakura, the more of himself he loses to the sword, before being completely consumed by it at the end.
- Death Seeker: He wants to go out in a blaze of glory in service to Takasugi, hopefully killing as many people as possible while at it.
- Faux Affably Evil
- Handicapped Badass
- Hero Killer: Tries to be this by going after and supposedly killing Katsura but doesn't succeed.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: A master at drawing his sword and slashing in the same motion, but he ends up abandoning his former fighting techniques as Benizakura fuses itself to him.
- Leeroy Jenkins: A villainous example. He is so eager to test out Benizakura that he ends up ruining Takasugi's plans regarding the sword by luring the Kiheitai's enemies to their hideout.
- Major Injury Underreaction: He barely reacts to Shinpachi cutting off his arm, instead choosing to nonchalantly say it was mean of him to do that.
- My Horse Is a Motorbike: Rides a flying bike shaped like a horse into battle against Katsura's flying warships, complete with reins!
- Professional Killer: Serves as both an assassin and a sword-for-hire when he's not working with the Kiheitai.
- Psycho for Hire
- Psycho Supporter: For Takasugi.
- Scarf of Asskicking: While running around hunting ronin and testing out Benizakura.
- Sword Cane: Initially wields one until Gintoki breaks it and he gets hold of Benizakura.