Characters: Gintama Harusame
Back to the main character index.The Harusame Space Pirates are a universe-spanning crime syndicate which eventually comes into conflict with the Yorozuya.
open/close all folders
- Elite Mooks: The Yato of the Harusame's 7th Division are the toughest mooks in the entire series! They're able to go toe to toe several named main characters, requiring extensive teamwork and sheer determination to defeat.
- Men Behind the Man: The Harusame are truly controlled by the so far unseen "elders" of their Senate, which the Admiral answers to. It's later confirmed that these elders were connected to the Tendoshuu. This revelation also explains turning the Harusame against Kamui and the 7th Division.
- Space Pirates: It's right there in the name!
- The Syndicate: Unrivalled and spanning the universe even.
Voiced by: Ryūsei NakaoThe first of the Harusame Space Pirates encountered in the series. A drug mobster whose connections to major Bakufu officials allow him to continue his work. He comes into conflict with the Yorozuya when they look around his business in search of a missing person. His defeat leads to the Harusame allying with the Kiheitai in order to get Gintoki and Katsura's heads.
- Adjusting Your Glasses: Frequently pushes up his glasses, often while making a point.
- All-Encompassing Mantle: His long cape often covers his entire body. He pushes it back when he fights.
- Beard of Evil: Has a rather pointy goatee.
- Berserk Button: He really hates getting dirty. He also hates people without proper hygiene, like Gintoki.
- Faux Affably Evil: His speech is polite, but also mocking between the lines.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: His round glasses obscure his eyes and help sell him as a villain.
- Graceful Loser: Compliments Gintoki after being defeated.
- Neat Freak: Obsessed with staying clean, to the point he almost has a Freak Out when his sleeve gets dirty after hitting Kimiko. He also states his dislike of Gintoki because he doesn't wash his hands.
- Pointy Ears: Both are long and pointy.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His eyes have a red tint to them in the anime.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: His eyes are on occasion obscured by the shine of his glasses.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: His connections in the Bakufu allows him to conduct his business without interference, not that it helps him in the end.
- Starter Villain: Arguably the first somewhat serious villain in the series, appearing before even Takasugi did.
Voiced by: Satoshi Hino (JP), Chris Ayres (EN, movie)Kagura's older brother. He is the leader of the Harusame's 7th division. He left his family after challenging his father and cutting off his left arm. Although he is almost always smiling cheerfully, he is in fact a violent fighter who lusts for blood, like the majority of the Yato clan.
- 0% Approval Rating: Bar Takasugi (who probably sees him as a means to an end), no one really likes Kamui in-series. Not his father, not his sister, not even Abuto who also openly calls him an idiot with no other goal in life than indulging in his urges. The Elders of the Harusame especially dislike him, eventually betraying him and taking away his position as admiral.
- Aloof Big Brother: He's completely indifferent towards Kagura whom he considers weak thus uninteresting. She, in turn, cannot stand him.
- Antagonistic Offspring: He tried to kill his own father.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: He picks fights with everybody and is often dismissive of his opponents' skills. Of course when he finds someone he finds worthy, he gets really excited.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: He leads the 7th Harusame division, which is composed entirely of Yato, this has to apply for him to still lead it.
- Ax-Crazy: He'll quite readily threaten to kill anybody around him and smiles with murderous glee when he goes around killing enemies, whether they're able to put a fight or not.
- Badass: One of Satoshi Hino's most badass roles.
- Badass Family: With Kagura and Umibozu, as you've probably seen above. Unfortunately, Kamui doesn't seem to care about the "family" aspect.
- Bad Boss: He is not adverse to the idea of threatening his own subordinates and has even killed one.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Same deal as Kagura since it's his fighting style of choice.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Has entered an alliance with Takasugi.
- Big Eater: The two times we've seen him eating imply that his appetite is as big as Kagura's.
- Bishōnen: His boyish good looks caused quite a few heads to turn in Yoshiwara.
- Blood Knight: His only motivation is to get a good fight.
- Chick Magnet: A mild example, but nearly all the girls of Yoshiwara took notice when he made his appearance.
- Creepy Blue Eyes: His blue eyes turn really unsettling when he's at his most murderous. When he opens them that is.
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: His eyes are usually lined with dark circles when he's really excited for a fight.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: According to Hosen at least, who speculates that him helping Seita reunite with Hinowa may be because he regrets abandoning his sick mother, though Kamui denies it.
- Returned to in the Shogun Assassination arc. Kagura mentions him hiding injuries from the fights he would get into so their mother wouldn't worry.
- Evil Redhead: Red-haired? Check. Evil? Check.
- Eyes Always Shut: Keeps his eyes closed most of the time.
- For the Evulz: Kamui is a violent asshole for no other reason than that he ''can'. Not even Abuto or Takasugi cause trouble as deliberately as Kamui and for the sake of it.
- Healing Factor: Comes with being from the Yato Clan.
- The Hedonist: A very dark example.
- Idiot Hair: He always has that one strand of hair sticking out.
- Ignored Epiphany: Hosen tell him that the Yato life of fighting is ultimately empty. Kamui doesn't care.
- In Love with Your Carnage: How he feels while watching Gintoki's throwdown with Hosen. He feels the same way with Takasugi which is why he rescued him just so they can duel one day.
- It's All About Me: The only thing Kamui cares about is himself and what he wants.
- Kick the Dog: His casual murder of a Hyakka who'd lost all the will to fight after he slaughtered her comrades$serves as a good reminder that despite helping Seita out, he is not a good person. He also later tries to shoot Soyo, who is a non-combatant, solely because he felt she was in the way of a duel with Okita.
- Klingon Promotion: Kills Abo and takes over as the new Admiral of the Harusame. Though he later loses said position and is thrown out of the Harusame when the Elders of the Harusame stab him in the back.
- Knight of Cerebus: Like Takasugi, his mere presence in the story turns the situation much more serious.
- Lightning Bruiser: While small, he's one of the strongest and fastest characters in the series.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: According to him, he's the only one allowed to kill both Gintoki and Takasugi.
- Parasol of Pain: He is a Yato after all, though he tends to leave it behind in a fight despite being quite capable with it.
- Perpetual Smiler: Almost always has a smile of some kind on his face, whether it's a cheerful one or a horrifying one.
- Pet the Dog: He decides to spare Abuto after he is defeated by Kagura and even helps carry him away.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Fully embraced his Yato heritage and looks down on anybody with differing views.
- Relation Ship Voice Actor: Between Kamui's voice actor, Satoshi Hino, and Kagura's, Rie Kugimiya.
- Self-Made Orphan: Tried to do this, but he only managed to cut off Umibouzo's arm.
- Slasher Smile: Whenever he's especially excited about fighting a strong opponent.
- The Sociopath: Cares for nothing but his own amusement and has difficulty truly understanding other people's emotions and viewpoints.
- Spear Counterpart/Shadow Archetype: Of Kagura. He's pretty much Kagura if she were male and had fully embraced her inner vices.
- The Starscream: His response to Admiral Aho— er, Abo's treatment of his division and attempt to execute him and the rest of the division? Take over as new Admiral of the Harusame Pirates by offing him. However, the elders of the Senate doesn't agree with his actions and he soon loses the position of Admiral again.
- Stepford Smiler: Of the unstable type.
- Super Strength: Comes with being a Yato of course.
- Would Hit a Girl: The Hyakka got no special treatment from him for being women. He also tries to shoot Soyo to have a one-on-one bout with Okita, since he felt she was in the way.
- You Have Failed Me: Subverted with Abuto. He chastises him for his defeat at Kagura's hands and it seems for a second he's about to kill him... only for him to pick the injured Abuto up and carry him away, because he needs Abuto's help in dealing with more delicate matters.
Voiced by: Hochu OtsukaA proud veteran Yato who assists, counsels and follows Kamui around.He's not without credentials and, like all Yato, has a rather violent streak despite his apparent laid-back, collected attitude. He is about the only person Kamui considers a friend and the only one he might listen to. He lost his left arm during the Yoshiwara Arc while stopping Kamui and Hosen from fighting.
- Affably Evil: He's genuinely friendly to his enemies and offer them advice, even if he's at the moment out to kill them.
- All-Encompassing Mantle: His black cloak covers most of his body
- Artificial Limbs: He's acquired an artificial left arm to replace the one he lost, though it ends up getting blown to pieces. He's... not particularly happy about it.
- Badass: He's more than a match for Kagura and Shinpachi, and also manhandled Tsukuyo before that.
- Beleaguered Assistant: He's very unamused by his boss Kamui's antics.
- The Dragon: Acts as Kamui's second-in-command.
- Healing Factor: As a Yato Clan member he's able to heal wounds at an accelerated rate, though it's not enough to grow back his lost arm.
- Lightning Bruiser: As a Yato, it goes without saying that he has both speed and strength to match.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Doesn't so much as blink at Hosen taking his arm off.
- Noble Demon: He's a Yato through and through, but is genuinely friendly to his enemies (Even if he's trying to kill them), and even saves Kagura and Shinpachi from falling to their deaths.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Gives one to Kagura in order to make her release her Yato self.
- Now That's Using Your Teeth: Catches one of Tsukuyo's kunai between his teeth and then uses it against her.
- Parasol of Pain: Like all Yato, he carries one around as a weapon.
- Perma Stubble: His face is constantly unshaven, but the stubble never seems to grow any further.
- Pet the Dog: Saves Kagura and Shinpachi from falling to their deaths after his defeat at Kagura's hands.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Is very proud of his heritage and considers his race a superior one.
- Punch Clock Villain: Despite everything, he's pretty controlled and doesn't go looking for trouble the way Kamui does.
- Shellshocked Veteran: Invoked through his jaded attitude.
- Super Strength: He's a Yato and strong to break apart a ceiling by pushing the blunt end of a spear against Shinpachi's body.
- Would Hit a Girl: Just like Kamui, he doesn't care about the gender of who is in his way.
- Would Hurt a Child: Had no compunction fighting Kagura and Shinpachi, who are both half his size, with full force.
Voiced by: Shigeo KiyamaA Yato member of the 7th division who works for Kamui.
- Acrofatic: Big and fat, but fast and acrobatic enough to catch Gintoki off guard.
- Armor Is Useless: The only Yato to wear armor, yet Kamui pierces through it like it were nothing.
- Badass Beard: As seen above.
- Butt Monkey: The High School A.U. turns him into one, not that he fares particularly well in the actual series.
- Healing Factor: As a Yato Clan member he presumably has this, but Kamui kills him before he gets the chance to show it.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By the hand of his own boss no less.
- Lightning Bruiser: He's shown to be very fast and strong despite his size, and manages to catch Gintoki off guard.
- Parasol of Pain: As a Yato, he wields a super-tough umbrella as a weapon. Too bad for him Kamui pierces right through it into his chest.
- Super Strength: Strong enough to hit several holes in a giant metal pipe.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Dies very shortly after being introduced and did little of note until then.
Voiced by: Mitsuaki HoshinoAdmiral Abo is the incompetent leader of the Harusame space pirates, though he in reality answers to the so far unseen elders who control the Harusame through him.
- Bad Boss: Willing to execute entire divisions in order to retain his power.
- Dirty Coward: Easily scared by any threats to himself and tries to flee the scene after his plans backfire.
- Fat Bastard: In addition to being fat, he's got no redeeming qualities about him.
- Fat Idiot: As stupid as he's fat.
- Phrase Catcher: Everyone who talks to him are about to call him Admiral Aho (Idiot), but quickly correct it to Abo.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Tries to leave on a ship with Koro after the Harusame turn against them. They don't get far before Kamui shows up and destroys the ship, killing them both.
- Smug Snake: Very self-assured of his own importance.
- Wicked Cultured: Seems to give off the vibe, what with his fancy dining room and all.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Tries to pull it on both Kamui and Takasugi and ends up killed for his efforts.
Voiced by: Hiroki YasumotoLeader of the Harusame space pirates' 8th division.
- The Dragon: To Admiral Abo.
- Eyepatch of Power: Helps making him look like a stereotypical pirate.
- False Friend: Tries to befriend Kamui and become his ally in toppling the admiral, only to reveal he was loyal to the admiral by backstabbing him.
- Hook Hand: Also helps making him look like a stereotypical pirate.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Maybe not hypercompetent, as he can't even pilot a ship on his own, but he is much more competent than the admiral himself.
- Large and In Charge: He's pretty huge and in charge of the 8th Division.
- Petting Zoo People: A humanoid wolf.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Tries to leave on a ship with Abo after the Harusame turn against them. They don't get far before Kamui shows up and destroys the ship, killing them both.
- Wolf Man: Looks like a large humanoid wolf.