Misaki KurehaThe main protagonist of the series. She was orphaned at an early age. Her father died on the Watcher's Nest as the result of a Ghoul attack and her mother died of unknown causes when she was a young girl. She lived with other relatives until age 18; when she joined the army because she couldn't find a better job. Somehow, she was selected as an elite Seraphim cadet despite her clumsiness, inexperience, and inability to do anything right. After completing her training, she was selected to guard the Watcher's Nest from ghoul attacks along with fellow Seraphim cadets: Luxandra Frail, Suzanne Bluestein, and Kiri Marialate. Despite her shortcomings, she has a cheery personality that lifts the spirits of others around her. Under normal circumstances, Misaki is a clumsy idiot, but she has latent abilities that emerge in times of trouble or immense pressure. Later in the series, she is revealed to be the result of genetic engineering to create a ghoul/human hybrid.
- Ace Pilot: She becomes one of these by the end.
- Balloon Belly: In the ending.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: When she's in a dangerous situation, her latent abilities emerge and allow her to fight.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: She's more clumsy in Misaki Chronicles, such as accidentally causing a gun to fire. Fortunately it wasn't a real gun.
- The Ditz
- Green Eyes
- The Klutz
- Military Brat
- Parental Abandonment: Both of her parents died when she was young.
- Her mother is alive in Misaki Chronicles.
- Tomato in the Mirror: It's obvious to the audience at the start that she's something... Well, for starters, she's a Ghoul, and that the real Misaki Kureha is in a suspended chamber all this time.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She caused the Ghoul events just to prevent the loss of Luxandra and Suzanna.
- You Killed My Father
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Luxandra FrailLuxandra is the only one of the four probationary pilots to have military training before they arrive, having been saved by soldiers herself she decided to become one.
- Afraid of Needles
- But Not Too Black
- Dark-Skinned Blonde
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: She actually subverts it by being a good character with evil scars.
- Scars Are Forever: Subverted. She can remove the scars on her face but decided to keep them as a reminder of her decision to save others.
Suzanna BluesteinSuzanna originally planned to become an engineer but from her military family she chose to follow the family career.
- Hair Decorations
- Fake Brit: Naturally her voice actor is Japanese.
- Military Brat: Since her family was in the military, she decided to follow in the footsteps of her family.
- Put on a Bus
Kiri MarilateA young girl from New Zealand,Not much is known about Kiri.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes??: Insects
Kotoko-01A support android, who was built by Lieutenant Commander Lyar Von Ertiana and works for her.
- Adorably Precocious Child
- Bare Your Midriff: Both her piloting outfits in both seasons.
- Body Backup Drive: She can't truly die even if her body is destroyed,shown in episode 1. As long as her mind and memories(which are link to computers) are intact then she can always come back when her body is rebuilt.
- Child Soldiers
- Fan Service Pack: Her personality becomes more exuberant and childlike when she's rebuilt at the start of Season 2. Her body on the other hand...
- Girlish Pigtails: In Misaki Chronicles
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Her piloting outfits in both seasons are unusually skimpy and revealing compared to the rest of the pilots', and neither Lyar nor any of others seem to find this odd.
- Moe Couplet: With Lyar
- Ridiculously Human Robots: She even bleeds.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: With her machine gun.
- Token Mini-Moe
- Vapor Wear
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Pink actually.
- Zettai Ryouiki