open/close all folders
The titular "Devil Bear", and main character of the comic. He is the current ruler of Teddy Bear Hell, where sinful teddies go when they die. Formerly, he was Justice Bear of the Virtue Bears, until he got annoyed at their attitude towards a girl called Ursa and quit.
- Back from the Dead: He has the power to resurrect the dead teddies in his domain, and on rare occasions offers to do so in return for something he wants.
- Blind Justice: As Justice Bear. He even wore a blindfold.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He isn't very nice to most people, but he genuinely cares for his Daivas.
- Hazy Feel Turn: When he defected from the Virtue Bears. The Virtue Bears were not good bears, and he was more or less their Token Good Teammate. But since becoming the Devil Bear, he seems to have fallen himself.
- Good Is Dumb: His reason for leaving the Virtue Bears.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Slash across his right eye.
- Improbable Weapon User: A flaming Spork.
- Kick the Dog:
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: When questioned on his evil deeds, he often characterizes them as punishing the wicked. And for the most part, he's right. Though he will occasionally step into Kick the Dog territory.
- Madden Into Misanthropy: Implied to be what made him evil.
- Necromancer: He can animate dead teddies that crave for stuffings.
- Nothing Personal: Tells this to Ursa as he puts her back in prison with completely immobilizing restraints, since while he is grateful she saved his life, she is still dangerously insane and managed to break out of her previous prison.
- Odd Name Out: He was Justice Bear of the Virtue Bears.
- Pet the Dog: When Cayenne begs him to save the bootleg Virtue Bear clones from being killed, he reluctantly agrees to become their Honorary Uncle.
- Playing with Fire: His signature spell.
- Rock Me, Asmodeus!: When a bear band challenges him to a rock-off. It doesn't end well for them.
- Sadist: He enjoys his job just a little too much.
- Satan: The teddy bear version of him.
- Scars Are Forever: He's the devil, and yet his scar remains, however he got it.
- The Stoic: He doesn't go into any emotional extremes, and at most would just lift an eyebrow if something strikes him as odd or just annoys him.
- Villain Protagonist: He is the main character and rules hell. He frequently fights evil, but more out of sadism or greed than for justice.
Aides to the Devil Bear. They are patterned after the Seven Deadly Sins, and often accompany him on his adventures. Their job usually involves torturing the residents of Teddy Bear Hell.Tropes that apply to the Daivas in general:
- Affably Evil: Somewhat.
- Battle Harem
- Cute Monster Girl
- Five Daiva Band: Literally, until Ursa and Mo join them, anyway.
- I Believe I Can Fly: Daivas have invisible wings made of light. Those who are new to the fold have to undergo training to see and use them.
- Ms. Fanservice: That's right, all of them.
- Only Six Faces: The girls (save for Mo) look the same save for differing hairstyles, clothes and choices in color.
- Pungeon Master: In action sequences, mostly, but especially during Cayenne's initiation.
- Punny Name
- Rainbow Motif: Seven colours of the rainbow, seven deadly sins. Do the math.
- Seven Deadly Sins
Lucy FurThe Daiva of Lust and for a while, Gluttony. The most active of the Daivas, and Bearalzebub's most trusted companion.
- Berserk Button: Don't call her an "angel", or this happens.
- The Dragon: To Bearalzebub, if you see her as evil.
- Naked Apron: When she was pulling double duty as the Daiva of Gluttony.
- Of Corsets Sexy: A corset is part of her primary wardrobe.
- Pungeon Master: This seems to have died down over time, but her first appearances were exactly this.
- Punny Name: Lucy Fur = Lucifer
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Here.
- Team Mom
- The Leader
Helle BelleThe Daiva of Sloth. Lounges around and falls asleep at a whim, much to the chagrin of Lucy. Developing a little pot belly as a result.
- Berserk Button: Steal one of her socks, and she becomes scarily competent.
- The Lancer: Argues with Lucy a lot, which is usually triggered when Lucy gets annoyed by her laziness.
- The Load: She would rather laze about than do her job as a Daiva.
- Pretty Freeloader: Hot as Hell, lazy as sin.
- Punny Name
Ipso and FactoThe Daivas of Envy and Greed, respectively. They are identical twins that are never seen apart, and act as Bearalzebub's lawyers.
- Always Identical Twins
- Deal with the Devil: As shown in this comic, they set these up on Bearalzebub's behalf.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences
- Flat Character
- Hello, Attorney!: The both of them.
- Identical Twin Id Tag: Ipso wears her hair up. Facto wears hers down.
- Punny Name: Both names are legal terms, and they're both lawyers.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: They tend to speak in a lot of legal terms, especially to their clients.
- The Smart Guy
- Twincest: Oh, boy.
- Twin Telepathy
Cayenne PepperThe newest Daiva of Gluttony. New to the concept of being a Daiva, and can be said to be the protege of Lucy Fur. Replaces both Lucy and the deceased Sinnamon in this role.
- Affably Evil
- The Chick
- Lethal Chef: Subverted. She's supposed to be this when she's punishing the Teddies, but we haven't seen he do anything bad culinary-wise yet.
- Punny Name\Stealth Pun: Cayenne peppers are hot, and so is she and the place she works. Bonus points for her actually turning red the longer she stays in Hell, which is a cartoony reaction to eating a pepper.
- Rite of Passage: She's sprayed with condiments by the other Daivas, who spout the appropriate puns to go with them.
- Supreme Chef: To Bearalzebub
- Token Good Teammate: She's the friendliest Daiva, right down to snuggling some refugee mutant Teddy Bears in bed with her. D'awww.
- Turns Red: When she becomes a Daiva, but only in the literal sense.
Ursula Furman\UrsaThe Daiva of Wrath. She was sealed in a block of ice until a foolish Poquebear released her, causing her to unleash hell on...well, Hell and attempt to murder the other Daivas. In addition to that, she is also the reason why Bearalzebub left the Justice Bears.
- Berserk Button: Puns, the presence of any other Daiva besides herself, and learning that Lucy attempted to replace Sinnamon after she went through all the trouble of killing the latter in the first place.
- The Big Guy
- The Chessmaster: Blew up an entire island of Poquebears so that they would end up flooding Hell. She also keeps the jewel that enslaved Mo and notes how she is helpless under its power.
- Green-Eyed Monster
- Hero Killer: The comic begins with one of the Daivas already Killed Off for Real, thanks to her.
- Hypocritical Humor: She claims that one of her dislikes is puns, but ends up using puns out the wazoo whenever she attacks somebody.
- Omnicidal Maniac: She has no qualms about killing in huge numbers, see The Chessmaster above.
- Pet the Dog: Mo views Ursa freeing her from her enslavement as this. Ursa actually couldn't care less and actually makes a mental note of the jewel that was used to render her powerless.
- Pungeon Master: Averted, at first. claims to hate puns, and uses it as a reason to imprison Pandatchoo. When she is later seen, she will spout several as she's on the attack.
- Punny Name\Meaningful Name: Ursa = Bear, which is also the patron animal for the deadly sin of Wrath. She was also made an honorary member of the Justice Bears before they ousted her as being a hopeless cause.
- Sealed Evil In a Block Of Ice
- Shipped in Shackles: The way Bearalzebub chooses to transport her.
- Sixth Ranger\Sixth Ranger Traitor: The comic seems to be setting her up to eventually become the latter.
- Tranquil Fury: Porbably because of the Only Six Faces syndrome the comic suffers from, she appears really calm when she's unleashing hell on people.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: She is responsible for Justice Bear defecting and becoming the new ruler of Hell.
- The Worf Effect: Aeshmodella taking her down is a sign that she is a significant threat.
- Yandere: Devil Bear is her bear, and no other Daiva will ever come between them, or else.
Aeshmodella\MoThe Daiva of Vanity. She is the newest member of Bearalzebub's Daivas but was originally the Daiva of the original Devil Bear, and thus the one with the most experience on the team.
- All Therein The Manual: Bearalzebub renames her because her name is too long and hard to pronounce, but you will only know her name is now "Mo" if you read the Character Bios.
- Big Sister Mentor: Lucy plans to have her use her past experiences to help the Daivas.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Her true loyalties are ultimately to Bearlial, but she still feels uneasy about directly betraying Bearalzebub.
- Costume Porn: Compared to the other Daivas, her bio features her wearing a very elaborate dress.
- Dragon with an Agenda: She isn't exactly scheming against Bearalzebub, but is last seen ripping her former boss' remains from the Fabric of Time and hiding it from everyone, possibly foreshadowing a desire to return him to life.
- Meaningful Name\Punny Name: Aeshmodella. See "Costume Porn" above. She is also the Daiva with the most experience, which makes her a role model.
- Meaningful Rename: Inverted, Bearalzebub renames her because her name is too long and hard to pronounce.
- Mind Rape: She can turn another being's insecurities against them.
- Necromantic: Her main motive is to restore her old master back to life, Bearlial. Since Bearlial was Bearalzebub's predecessor, the previous Devil Bear, this inevitably sets up conflict between her and Bearalzebub himself.
- Sixth Ranger: The last Daiva to join the fold.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: Explains to a downed Ursa that her loyalties lie with Bearlial, and she will do anything to bring him back for good.
- Special Snowflake Syndrome: Unlike the others, she has light purple skin and longer horns.
- Squishy Wizard: She is the most magically powerful Daiva and can intimidate even Bearalzebub in this department, but she is not the most physically capable and gets beaten up by Ursa.
- Took a Level in Badass: As Bearlial gains in power, so does she.
SinnamonThe original Daiva of Gluttony, before she was killed by Ursula.
- Defeat Equals Explosion: Ursa kills her using an exploding gas stove.
- The Ghost
- Killed Offscreen
- Legacy Character: The title of 'Daiva of Gluttony', from her to Cayenne.
- Posthumous Character: Mentions of her death by Ursa's hands are often made by the others.
- Punny Name: She's a devil girl named after a spice used in cooking.
BearlialAeshmodella's fallen master and the first Devil Bear.
- All Your Powers Combined: Accomplishes this by merging soul jars created from the fabrics of the other devil bears and melding them into his own, thereby gaining their powers.
- Revenge: He seeks it against Bearalzebub and several others over his murder and Bearalzebub's theft of his throne.
- Satan: The first of the teddy bear equivalents.
- Satan Is Good: Despite being a devil bear, he was good enough to make it to the Fabric of Time, which is no mean feat.
- Soul Jar: By using his fabric on a sewstone and embedding the sewstone into a living bear, he was for all intents and purposes brought back to life. His sewstone is then combined with several others and shaped into a heart.
- Transformation of the Possessed: The host bear his sew stone is attached to eventually transforms into him.
Bootleg DaivasA group of Daivas hired by Raine in her attempt to create a bootleg Teddybear Hell and replace Bearalzebub.
- Co-Dragons: After their place gets trashed and Raine ceases to sponsor them, they, along with Aeshmodella, choose to serve as this to Bearlial.
- Mad Scientist: One of them specializes in rather unethical Magi Tech.
ApawllyonA third devil bear created by bootleg Daivas as part of a project by Raine, who was attempting to replace Bearalzebub with someone under her control.
- A Glass of Chianti: The type of personality his Daivas were hoping he would have when they created him. It didn't turn out that way.
- Dumb Muscle
- Killed Off for Real: The original is killed by a devil bear killing weapon wielded by a vain teddy bear that had declared it her life mission to destroy them. His soul jar is later destroyed by Aeshmodella to empower Bearlial.
- Soul Jar: His Daivas make one from his remaining fabric as an experiment to recover a new Devil Bear master.
- Transformation of the Possessed: His soul jar is implanted into a Sisyphus parody and it quickly transforms him into Apawllyon until the sew stone is removed.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: He grew stronger with each teddy bear he destroyed.
The Virtue BearsThe official leaders of Gener-aah-city.
- Care-Bear Stare: They have a nasty, Light Is Not Good variant called the Virtue Bear's condescending glare. It effectively Mind Rapes their victims with love and altruism. At higher settings, it can actually kill. Despite the name, it actually gets fired out of their rear ends.
- Famous Last Words: "Virtue...never...truly...dies!"
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Cayenne kills them by reflecting their own rainbow beams right back at them.
- Killed Off for Real: They get killed by their own rainbow beams and are damned to teddy bear hell.
- Light Is Not Good: Despite having a heavenly theme, they aren't particularly nice and are decidedly judgmental. And under Raine's influence, they become even worse.
- Obliviously Evil: They are naive to the point of being unable to perceive the harm their own actions cause, which is why Justice Bear ultimately left them.
- Pure Is Not Good: The Virtue Bears are so pure that they are effectively blind to the consequences of their own actions.
- Seven Heavenly Virtues: What all of them save Justice Bear were themed after.
The Virtue Bear's 2nd Cousins Thrice RemovedRelatives of the Virtue Bears.
- Care-Bear Stare: They seem to share the Virtue Bears' ability to blast rainbows out their rear ends.
- Knows a Guy Who Knows a Guy: They claim relation to the Virtue Bears, but aren't even teddy bears like them. And one of them is connected to the Virtue Bears only by being a friend of a roommate.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: They carry out some pretty evil actions trying to bring the Virtue Bears Back from the Dead, though they hope it will all work out in the end.
- Uncertain Doom: Most of them meet their apparent dooms trying to break into the Fabric of Time.
RaineThe Virtue Bears' secretary.
- The Corrupter: The Virtue Bears were deluded and naive before she came along. Under her influence, they became worse.
- Dragon-in-Chief: She was officially only the Virtue Bears' secretary. But for all intents and purposes, she was in charge even before the Virtue Bears died.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: She isn't technically a princess, but she certainly feels this way and declares herself one.
- Fantastic Drug: One of her ways of controlling the Virtue Bears.
- Greed: One of her primary motives.
- Light Is Not Good: Despite being aligned with the Virtue Bears, she barely puts up so much as a pretence of being good.
- Regent for Life: Declares herself Princess Regent after the Virtue Bears are killed.