Due to length, the page has been split into subpages:
open/close all folders
Ghosts and half-ghosts in general
Ghosts are among the main species and antagonists in the Danny Phantom universe.
- Alien Blood: Apparently, ghosts (and half ghosts in their ghost forms) bleed glowing green ectoplasm, as shown in "Fright Knight" when Danny gets a cut by a blade◊.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Ghosts are shown to be able to have skin colors like blue, white (not pale beige), gray, green and etc.
- Beat It By Compulsion: Ghosts' typical behavior makes them vulnerable to this. A notable example is Desiree granting every wish she hears, even ones that work against her goals.
- Call a Smeerp a "Rabbit": The ghosts actually are not the disembodied spirits of dead people. They're "monsters/creatures" from a mysterious dimension called the "Ghost Zone". Although it's never said in the series, but by Word of God. They're just called ghosts because it's easier.
- However, there are contradictions with this statement and the ones given in the series and by the producers about the origins of other ghosts (such as Ember, Desiree, and the Dairy King) as well as Maddie's definition of ghosts ("odd manifestation of ectoplasmic energy and post-human consciousness"). So perhaps only some of them are the spirits of the dead.
- Demonic Possession: Called "Overshadow", ghosts can take over the body of a living person and operate it like a puppet.
- Even Evil Has Standards: All of Danny's ghost enemies hold an annual truce with any and all other ghosts (including half-ghosts like Danny) so that they can celebrate Christmas. When they discover the Ghost Writer broke the truce, they are not happy, teaming up with Danny to stop him, and save Christmas.
- Fantastic Racism:
- Most ghosts don't like humans and most humans are terrified of the ghosts. Danny being half-ghost makes it worst, as he's hated period by most ghosts he meets and his Alter Ego is feared and hated by most humans except his Secret Keeper friends/sister and the Alpha Bitch. It gets creepy when Danny hears about his parents discussing what to do with his alter ego's remains if they ever caught him.
- Although in the humans' case, it's somewhat justified. The majority of humanity's first experiences with ghosts stemmed from an attack by a group of Danny's enemies from the Ghost Zone. Until that point, it was the people that believed in them were the ones that were ridiculed. The reason Paulina was amongst the first to stop hating Danny was because Danny outright saved her life, at which point she started to idolize him.
- Ghostly Goals: Which (if any) ghosts have "unfinished business" and will pass on after completing it is up for debate, considering the show never addressed afterlife beyond the Ghost Zone; however, almost every ghost Danny fights is the "attack the living" type.
- Green Eyes: Danny in ghost-mode, along with most of the ghosts. In fact it's something of a give away when it comes to the ones that can pass for human since while there are some human characters with green eyes, that particular shade of bright ectoplasm-green is unique to ghosts.
- Hand Blast: While not really a thing ghosts usually do, some ghosts can fire ectoplasmic blasts or "Ghost Rays" from their hands.
- Hand Wave: You could say that the entire concept of a "half-ghost" is this. The mechanics behind it is never really explained, and many a fan has tried to figure out how being half-dead really works.
- I Love Nuclear Power: Half-ghosts are the result of the exposure to high levels of ghost energy.
- Improbable Hairstyle: Many of the ghosts have this, but this is averted with most of the humans. Except for Danny. What kind of hairstyle is that, a reverse mullet?
- No-Sell: For half-ghosts. Their human half makes them immune/resistant to things that affect ghosts (ex. ghost shields, Danny's ghost sense, Mind Control over ghosts), while their ghost half make them immune/resistant to other ghosts' powers that affect humans, like Ember's Magic Music.
- Our Ghosts are Different: Most of the ghosts diverge from mainstream paranormal expectations.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: As with Amazing Technicolor Population, this seems to be a thing for Ghosts.