Characters: Battle Spirits Saikyo Ginga Ultimate Zero
Number One Starship Crew
Rei the Number One Star/Zero the Burning/Zero the Silver/ Zero the Hurricane/Zero the Flash/Zero the Azure/Zero the Glint
The main hero of the story. Rei is obsessed with being number one. He doesn't remember his past
but doesn't seem to care very much. He is an ultimate-user, who has an unusual ultimate symbol on his heart. He eventually gains ultimate cards of all six colors, and a separate form for each.
- All-Loving Hero: Anyone is a "serious friend" to him, even those who have really done nothing to deserve the title. As more proof that he's one of these, Ultimates find him worthy left-and-right.
- Amnesiac Hero: He woke up with two Ultimates, and didn't remember anything before that.
- Catchphrase: He has at least one per form.
- "The Number One Star Burns Bright Red! There's no one Stronger than Me." (Burning), "The Number One Star shines white! Sound the song of victory!" (Silver), "A favorable wind for sailing! It's a Tailwind!" (Hurricane), "Well then, let's meet again in a wonderful hell." (Flash), "No enemy can block the path to my boundless future!" (Azure), "That was Zero the Glint!" (Glint)
- Curb-Stomp Battle: He tends to have these with the Triumvirate, with Rei of course being the one doing the stomping.
- Elemental Hair: Each of his forms comes with an appropriate hair-color change.
- Hot-Blooded: Especially as Zero the Burning.
- Idol Singer: This is Zero the Glint's motiff
- Interspecies Friendship: Two of his closest friends are Mugen (a dragon) and Salt (a robot).
- Invincible Hero: He effortlessly beats nearly every opponent. Unlike all previous Battle Spirits protagonists, he's able to beat his rival in one try.
- Involuntary Dance: Zero the Glint hypes up the spectators in this way before summoning his yellow Ultimate.
- Large Ham: All of his alternate forms. Just look at some of the catchphrases. Yuichi Nakamura does an amazing job overracting. Glint particularly stands out, for treating his battle like a concert, complete with an imaginary audience he encourages to cheer for him.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Both he and Kiriga have this at the start of the series.
- Meaningful Name: It means "Zero".
- The Rival: To Kiriga
- Split Personality: At least 6 of them, which he switches to at will based on what color deck he uses.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Pizza
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: In his case, why did it have to be ghosts?
Mugen is Rei's dragon companion. He is actually a spirit, and turns into a card to battle. He is a huge Magical Star Saki fanboy.
- Accessory-Wearing Cartoon Animal: He has a scarf
- Badass Adorable: Although his actual spirit forms are less cute, they're still the same character.
- A Day in the Limelight: Interestingly, he gets this in the form of the series 3rd ED theme, Endless Nova. It tells a lot about his background that isn't covered in the actual series.
- Balloon Belly: Sometimes he inflates when he is really angry, or about to fart.
- Evolution Powerup: Several times. The last time, he becomes an ultimate.
- Fartillery: Frequently the method he'll use to send the Triumvirate blasting off.
- Farts on Fire: at one point Mugen actually farts fire at the Triumvirate. In fact there is even a card of Mugen farting fire called Mugen's flame
- Fanboy: Of Magical.
- Gasshole: And how, Farting is one of Mugen's most defining Characteristic. Usually he farts at Triumvirate or anyone he's really mad at or don't like.Sometimes he even use his farts to attack his opponents in game. In the earlier episodes Mugen would often let out a huge fart when he changes from a red spirit to a white one.
- Ineffectual Loner: He seems to have been this before meeting Rei.
- Japanese Delinquent: He seem to have behaved like this before meeting Rei,he even dressed like one too.
- Non-Human Sidekick: To Rei
- Red Oni, Blue Oni:The red oni to Ian's blue oni. Mugen is more hotheaded and boisterous while Ian is more calm and collective, And Mugen is actually red while Ian is blue.
- Series Mascot: He definitely seems like it.
Laila is the older sister of Rikuto, and a Pentan-user. She is very unskilled as a card battler. Her hobby is cleaning.
- The Chick: Falls into this role most of the time.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: She's a huge Pentan lover.
- Fangirl: To Eris, bordering on Les Yay.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: She tends to get mad pretty easily. Although, often it's because of how unnaturally crazy or lax Rei is acting in any given situation.
- Neat Freak: Her love for cleaning is probably unhealthy.
- Plucky Girl: Although rarely ever effective, she is at least constantly determined, and will do her best to act strong if the situation calls for it.
- Raised by Grandparents: Both she and Rikuto had their grandfather David as their parental figure.
Rikuto is the younger brother of Laila. Like his sister, he isn't very good at Battle Spirits. He gets along very well with Rei.
- The Cutie: He's about the sweetest and most innocent character in the show.
- Memento MacGuffin: The space compass he carries. While it's an important item to the plot in general, being able to locate the Ultimate Battle Spirits, it's also from his dead grandfather.
- Raised by Grandparents: Both he and Laila had their grandfather David as their parental figure.
Salt is a robot cook who serves on Rei's ship. He met Rei in a trash heap, and the two became friends ever since. He can only cook pizza, but can make almost endless varieties of it.
- Fanboy: Of Magical.
- Meaningful Name: He's a cook.
- Pungeon Master: He's constantly making food puns.
- Robot Buddy: Though, normally he doesn't do much other than cook and spout puns. He's later shown to have a Battle Spirits deck of his own.
- Team Chef: Literally his main purpose in the story.
Kiriga the Shooting Star
Kiriga is a powerful member of the guild, who often does tasks for Miroku. Like Rei, he has a dragon companion. He also has a missing past, and an ultimate symbol on his heart. Eventually, he leaves the guild and finds his memories on his own.
- The Dragon: He serves as this for Miroku at the start of the series.
- Forced Into Evil: It's later revealed that he was following Miroku because Miroku had his memories which he wanted back.
- Heel-Face Turn: He eventually leaves the guild, and decides to fight against the invaders from the other dimension.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Both he and Rei have this at the start of the series.
- The Rival: To Rei
Ian is Kiriga's dragon companion. He is extremely loyal to Kiriga. He usually doesn't get along well with Mugen.
Miroku the Omnipotent/Colin
Miroku is the guild's leader. He keeps his face hidden under a visor. He tends to act very sadistic. Miroku's ultimate objective is for all of space to be his. To carry this out, he summons users of the Reverse 12 Zodiac Braves from an alternate dimension, to combat the Ultimate-users.
- The Big Bad: He's the leader of the guild.
- Evil Former Friend: He used to be good friends with Rei and Kiriga.
- Evil Laugh: He starts doing this quite a bit later into the series.
- Expy: He has a lot in common with Zazie in Brave. They're both masked white-haired villains with an alter ego, not to mention massive trolls. Both try to summon an Ophiuchus card and the process involves sacrificing their own supposed allies. Miroku even imitates Zazie's battle style.
- The Faceless: Until episode 39.
- Kick the Dog: He regularly tortures the Triumvirate, sometimes seemingly for no real reason. He takes this cruelty a step further after stripping Hansoro of his memory, blowing up his ship, and leaving him to die in the snow.
- One-Way Visor: And when it comes off, beware.
- Technicolor Eyes: Each of his eyes are made up of three of the colors in Battle Spirits.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Before he was evil, his hair was green.
- You Have Failed Me: It's obvious he does not have much tolerance for failure. He finds inventive ways to torment the Triumvirate whenever they mess up and when Hansoro betrays him... it gets much worse.
The Galaxy Triumvirate (Tsuruhashi the Waking, Hashibuto the Angry, Watari the Flowing)
The Galaxy Triumvirate is a team of guild members. They want to steal the space compass for Miroku, but constantly fail. All three of them were former performers. Tsuruhashi is known for rapping, and uses red. Hashibuto is a feminine crossdresser, who uses purple. Watari is a Magical Star fanboy, who uses white.
- Card-Carrying Villain: They seem to very much enjoy being evil.
- Creepy Crossdresser: Hashibuto. And to go along with the look, he's often attracted to other men.
- Fanboy: Watari is one for Magical. The other two don't get the appeal.
- Friendly Enemy: Occasionally. A later episode reveals that Rei has always considered them serious friends.
- The Glasses Come Off: Well, replace nerd glasses with nerd goggles, and this applies to Tsuruhashi, who becomes a much more powerful card battler once they're removed.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Unsurprisingly, they quickly fall into this.
- Iron Butt Monkey: They costantly go through torture from Miroku that should kill them, if this series were more realistic.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: They've done this a couple of times, and it always works.
- Pet the Dog: There is a whole episode devoted to Watari (and the others by extension) helping Magical get a break from her work by pretending to kidnap her. Though it backfires for them, Magical was still very thankful.
- Terrible Trio: They're basically Team Rocket.
- Villains Out Shopping: In episodes where they're not bothering Rei and the others, they tend to be doing mundane things, such as performing on stage.
- Villainous Crush: Watari has one on Magical.
Voiced by: Shigeo Kiyama
He is a top follower of Miroku. When Miroku begins summoning the 12 Reverse Zodiac Brave users, Hansoro starts doubting his intentions. He eventually tries to betray Miroku.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia- Gets this after losing to Miroku, and doesn't even remember his own name.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He is a strong supporter of the guild because he believes that if everyone follows their code, it will put an end to conflicts over cards. Although he was disturbed by Miroku's true ambitions, note that one thing Hansoro was in support of was the Seven Galaxy Generals, who enforeced the guilds law by going around oppressing people.
- Worthy Opponent: He considers Rei and Kiriga this.
Basilla the Dawn
The leader of the Seven Galaxy Generals. He steals one of the faucets from Planet Faucet, to make better pickled vegetables. He is also an ultimate user. After losing to Rei, he reforms himself, and goes off to raise vegetables.
Rukinosu the Cancer
He is one of the Reverse 12 Zodiac Brave users, based on Cancer the Crab. Miroku summoned him into the body of a stuffed animal. He is always seen eating crab.
- Carnivore Confusion: He's a crab who eats crab. Let that sink in.
- Funny Animal: Albeit an evil one.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Not as much as the Triumvirate, but after seeing him lose to both Kiriga and Eris, and then get easily eliminated by Magical Star in the Justice Cup, only to be mocked by both Denebola and Miroku, it's hard not to feel sorry for him.
- Meaningful Name: He is named for Karkinos, a crab in greek mythology.
- Villain Decay: Big time. Went from being a dangerous new enemy that was able to easily defeat both Kiriga and Eris to a complete loser overnight and now he is no longer taken seriously and is now easily defeated by Kiriga, Eris, and Magical Star of all people.
- Villainous Glutton: He is constantly devouring crabs, leaving a mess behind him.
Denebola Legulus Le On
She is one of the Reverse 12 Zodiac Brave users. She believes herself to be a big star, and constantly acts showy and egotistical.
Eris the Morning Star
Eris is the leader of a crew of just pirates, who oppose evil. She is an ultimate-user who has a yellow deck. She later finds a dragon partner in Chocola, and gets chosen by one of he Tri-Dragon Deities, allowing her to gain an ultimate symbol like Rei and Kiriga's.
- Action Girl: She eventually gets chosen by a Tri-Dragon Deity, and gains an ultimate symbol just like Rei and Kiriga
- Amazon Brigade: She has an all girl crew. Also, her deck, which is composed of female spirits/Ultimates including her Tri-Dragon Deity.
- Badass Normal: At least she was in the beginning of the series. Then she becomes chosen like Rei and Kiriga, becoming an Empowered Badass Normal
- Celibate Heroine: She makes it clear that her love is space, and she has no interest in romance.
- Even the Girls Want Her: She is admired by Laila, and has an all-girl crew who also seems to adore her. Marlene and Garbo have actually been shown getting jealous of Laila.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: She was a former Pentan-user. When she battles Laila, she's reluctant to even fight and hurt the Pentans.
A member of Eris' crew, who seems to be the mechanic. She is the youngest of 10 children, which she resents somewhat.
A member of Eris' crew.
- Action Girl: Her first scene involves her breaking into Basilla's ship to steal a card. She also battles.
- Satellite Character: Although she gets a fair amount of screentime, she has virtually no role in the story other than her part as a crew member of Eris'.
- Shipper on Deck: She and Marlene ship Eris/Kiriga.
dragon companion. She thinks of herself as a lady. Very excitable, she will usually repeat all her words.
- Batman Can Breathein Space: She was able to talk, take a deep breath and blow away a nebula. All while being in the vacuum of space
- Balloon Belly: She had this when she inflated herself when taking a deep breath before blowing a way a nebula.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Played straight, She is the only one of the three chibi dragons that doesn't use fartillery.Probably because she's the only out of the three that's a girl or because she wants to be seen as a lady and as we all know real ladies don't do fart jokes.
- Evolution Powerup: She gets an ultimate form.
- Non-Human Sidekick: To Eris
- Super Breath: was able to blow away a nebula..with her breath...in space
- Sweet Tooth: She seem to really enjoy sweets
Magical Star Saki
Magical Star is a popular idol. She also plays Battle Spirits, using a purple deck.
- Fangirl: She turns into a huge one around Zero the Glint. She doesn't have the same reaction to any other version of Rei, though.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She's always carrying a bear around.
- Idol Singer: And a very popular idol at that.
- Kawaiiko: Of course, she is an idol.
Voiced by: Yu Serizawa
A schoolgirl who's father was once close friends with Kiriga. She travels with him to help him find his memories.
- Crush Blush: Gets this a lot when her feelings for Kiriga are bought up.
- The Glomp: This girl dives from a space ship onto Kiriga, who was then floating on an inflatable raft, knocking both of them into the water.
- Precocious Crush: On Kiriga, whom she seems to be quite a bit younger than. Not too extreme though, as Kiriga is about 17.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: She wears her uniform even when on spring break.
Voiced by: Miyu Kubota
A schoolgirl and friend of Fairy's.