Characters: Battle Spirits Sword Eyes
Sword Eyes of Light
The protagonist of the story. He's the red Sword Eyes of Light and Darkness
. Tsurugi was taken away from his home of Atlantia when he was little, and was raised in Pacifice. After he met Bringer, he learned Battle Spirits, and decided to go on a quest to meet his mother, and defeat his older brother Yaiba, the current King of Atlantia.
The blue Sword Eyes of Light. Sora is a mechanic from Atlantia, who lives with his younger brother, Long. He dislikes the royals. Sora is a huge advocate of love, and tends to rant about it during battles.
- Brainwashed: By Garudos.
- Distressed Dude: He spends a large chunk of the later part of the serious captured and then brainwashed.
- Love Freak: He always preaches about love. However, he is competent.
- Sweet Tooth: He actually may love sweets more than Kizakura.
The yellow Sword Eyes of Light. She's president of the Sweetsmates, an orginaztion devoted to sweet foods. Kizakura comes from a very poor background. She used to live on the streets, until she met her friends Yamabuki and Kogane.
- Action Girl: Mainly just in battle.
- Berserk Button: Played seriously. due to her poor background, she does not like seeing the exorbitantly wealthy and what they do with their money, when there are still hungry children on the streets.
- Parental Abandonment: It's not made clear what happened to her parents, other than that they were gone when she was very young.
- The Smurfette Principle: She's the only female Sword Eyes of Light.
- Sweet Tooth: Additionally, she's the head of an organization devoted to Sweets.
The green Sword Eyes of Light. Hagakure is a ninja from Kolga village, just outside of Lemurion. His dream is to get the Sword of Judgment, so he can become a higher ranking ninja without having to work at it.
- Animal Motifs: Birds
- The Chew Toy: Of the Light side, sometimes to the point that it's hard to take him seriously.
- The Ditz: Though, his naivety is probably a lot to blame for this, because he tends to look at everything from a ninja's perspective.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja: Have one of the Sword Eyes be a ninja? Why not?
- Ninja Brat: Though he has his moments of awesome, is actually a pretty unskilled ninja.
The white Sword Eyes of Light. He came from Xamuler, but went to Atlantia to sell ice there. He can be extremely pessimistic, and really likes money. He also seems to have a crush on Kizakura.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: In his brief crossdressing stint. His bishounen looks probably help.
- Bishounen: He's got a cute, feminine appearance.
- Brainwashed: By Garudos, for a short while.
- Disguised in Drag: When he sneaks around to find information on Garudos.
- The Glasses Come Off: Once he's revealed as a Sword Eyes.
- Money Fetish: He'll use anything as an opportunity to make money.
- Refusal of the Call: He tries this, going as far as using special glasses to hide the fact that he is a Sword Eyes.
- Tsundere: He's a Type A, with a crush on Kizakura, and even voiced by Rie Kugimiya. He also plays this role in a platonic way with the other Sword Eyes of Light, trying really hard to not be friends with them.
Suou is a "doll of bones" created by Rirove. He was supposed to be a copy of Rirove's younger brother.
He wishes to be human so Rirove will accept him. Later in the series, he dies to save Rirove, and the real Suou is ressurected in his place. He is the Purple Sword Eyes of Light.
Sword Eyes of Darkness
Midnight Sun King Yaiba
The white Sword Eyes of Darkness. Yaiba is Tsurugi's older brother, and the king of Atlantia. Though initially portrayed as a villain, Yaiba actually learned as a child that the world would be destroyed by God. He has been secretly acting to save everyone.
- A God Am I: He actually wants to surpass God. With somewhat justifiable reason. He plans to kill God with the Sword of Judgment and guide the humans in a world that they run.
- Dark Is Evil: He leads the Sword Eyes of Darkness, runs a harsh regime and freely occupies other nations with his armies of Mecha-Mooks.
- Dark Is Not Evil: In truth, he plans to liberate humanity by killing God with the Sword of Judgment.
- The Evil Prince: He appears this way at first, when he has his mother arrested as a suspect for rebellion, thus taking the throne for himself. Then, well, he's king for the rest of the series.
- Meaningful Name: It means blade.
- Villain with Good Publicity: While some people hate the way things are under Yaiba's rule, many love him, and he makes sure to give regular speeches about how he's doing everything in the best interests of the people. The Sword Eyes of Light are even made into wanted criminals.
- Then, this is subverted when it's revealed that Yaiba actually is doing everything for the safety of the world.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Oh boy. Everything he's done is to save the world from destruction and better the people. He just hasn't picked the best ways to go about this. Enough that the Sword Eyes of Light believed him to be evil for much of the series.
The blue Sword Eyes of Darkness. Brau is a former imperial guard member from Atlantia. He hates Bringer due to an incident in the past.
- Mark of Shame: His scar. Because of it, he was no longer able to be part of the imperial guard, and it reminds him of his failure and need for revenge on Bringer.
- Meaningful Name: It can also be read as blau, meaning blue.
- Please Kill Me If It Satisfies You: He almost seems to have a death wish, as whenever he loses a battle risking something important, he offers Yaiba the chance to behead him.
- Undying Loyalty: To Yaiba, for accepting him despite his scar.
The yellow Sword Eyes of Darkness. Her father was a member of the Red Army, where her true loyalties lie. She's extremely protective of Grenada.
- Action Girl: In and out of battle. She can take on Sora, Kizakura and Hagakure at once.
- Mayfly-December Romance: Averted in her relationship with Galaxy, a former Messenger of God who never seemed to physically age, because he loses his powers and becomes a mortal human towards the end.
- Meaningful Name: It sounds similar to amarillo, meaning yellow.
- Official Couple: In the epilogue, it's revealed that she marries Galaxy Watanabe.
- The Smurfette Principle: She's the only female Sword Eyes of Darkness.
- Undying Loyalty: To Grenada. She was told by her father to protect Grenada, and this gave her life purpose.
- Whip It Good: Her weapon
Voiced by: Hiroshi Yanaka
The green Sword Eyes of Darkness. He came from Lemurion, and promised to return one day to stir up his town with excitement. He became curious about Tsurugi, and ultimately joined up with him.
- The Chew Toy: Of the Dark side.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Subverted. After Tsurugi defeats him, it looks like Gordy is going to join up with the good side. However, Yaiba interferes, and the next time Gordy is seen, he's back to his old self. It works the second time, though.
- Disguised in Drag: When he sneaks around to find information on Garudos. He does not pull it off as well as Haqua.
- Heel-Face Turn
- The Nicknamer: For example, he calls Tsurugi Red Light-chan, and Garudos Gar-chan.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His hairstyle.
The purple Sword Eyes of Darkness. He's an alchemist from Stoke, and a massive narcissist. He pursues Suou in hopes of destroying him.
Other Main Characters
An outdated droid from Atlantia who took Tsurugi from Atlantia as a baby. He was ordered to protect Tsurugi, and thus will do everything in his power to carry that out.
- Cannot Tell a Lie: He can't, because of his programming, though he can bluff.
- Declaration of Protection: He regularly declares to protect Tsurugi. Sometimes Tsurugi is unhappy with this, because he wants to take care of himself.
- Expy: To Pantera, of Gekiha Dan. They're both robots who befriend the hero, but have difficulty understanding human emotions. Also, Junichi Suwabe voiced them both.
- Mecha-Mooks: His model was the previous generation before the Stingers.
- Undying Loyalty: To Tsurugi. Of course, he's a droid, so he's programmed that way.
The regent of Atlantia who follows Yaiba. He also taught Yaiba politics. Garudos is the brother of Vargas, and is the "shadow figure" who is manipulating everything.
- A God Am I: After he takes control of the Sword of Judgment.
- Big Bad: Ultimately, he merges with god and attempts to destroy the world by dropping what looks like the moon on it.
- Bishounen: He's a pretty boy with long hair.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- Cain and Abel: With his brother Vargas. This time, it's the younger brother who is the evil one.
- The Chessmaster: Everything has been part of his mater plan. He instigated the Red Army's rebellion and planned for it to end in failure.
- Evil Chancellor: It's pretty obvious from day one that he has his own agenda. The extent of just how evil isn't made clear until quite a while, though.
- Obviously Evil: Anyone with an ounce of Genre Savvy should have the Evil Chancellor alarm bells ringing right away.
- Older Than They Look Becomes plot significant, as he's revealed to be the brother of Vargas who lived at least a hundred years ago, and he hasn't seemed to physically age at all.
The mother of Tsurugi and Yaiba. After Yaiba took power, her whereabouts were unknown. She is actually involved with the Red Army, and has been waiting for the Sword Eyes of Light to be gathered, so they can stop the shadow figure.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: Aesthetically, considering she has an adult child (who also looks younger than he is.) Unlike a certain other character there's not even an explanation as to why she looks the same as she did 14 years ago.
- Damsel in Distress: Subverted. They make you think so at first, but she's actually revealed to be on Yaiba's side, and then later revealed to be a reverse mole.
- Expy: Most likely one to Gilfam in Brave. Both are queens. Both have a close female protector with whom they get Les Yay subtext. Both have magical powers. Both are voiced by Michiko Neya.
- The High Queen: Her much-deserved reputation.
- Magic Kiss: She does this to Bringer to store Tsurugi's Sword Eye in him and later to Amarello, to give her power.
- Meaningful Name: Possibly. Grenada is just the name of a country but when pronounced in Japanese, it sounds like "guren" which means crimson. She's involved with the Red Army.
- Reverse Mole: She's actually working with the Red Army.