open/close all folders
Muroe High School
Toraji Ishida ("Kojiro")
Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (JP), Ian Sinclair (EN)Muroe High school's kendo instructor.
- But Now I Must Go: Though Kojirou eventually gets to keep his job, he decides to quit at the end of the year anyway after realizing he's taught the Muroe kendo team everything he can.
- Butt Monkey
- Perpetual Poverty
- Took a Level in Badass: In preparation for his match against Ishibashi, Kojirou gets back to training and manages to regain enough of his prior kendo skills to effortlessly beat him.
Voiced by: Ryo Hirohashi (JP), Cherami Leigh (EN)The star member of Muroe's kendo team, hand-picked by Kojiro and Kirino to help them turn their fortunes around.
- Achilles' Heel: The "High Stance," as it was a stance her mother used and whenever she sees it, she envisions her mother and loses focus, this resulted in her first loss in the series. She gets over it by the end of the anime, as she discovers, no matter who she's fighting, even her mother, she wants to win.
- Affectionate Nickname: Is called "Tama-chan" by her friends in the sub and "Tama" by Kojiro in the sub, everyone calls her "Tama" in the dub.
- Badass Adorable: She's adorable and she can kick ass when she needs to.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She may be a nice person, but you don't want her after you.
- Childhood Friends: Has known Yuji since she was a child.
- Curtains Match the Window: Purple hair and eyes.
- Cute Bruiser: Don't let her cuteness fool you, she is the strongest member of the kendo team.
- Cuteness Proximity: Invokes this in Kirino and Saya.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Kirino and Saya gush over her and constantly say she's "cute."
- Fangirl: Of Blade Braver
- Hes Not My Boyfriend: A very subtle example, she once tells her dad that Yuji invited her to an amusement park and her dad thought it was a date, Tama responds by saying they're just friends. (Her father still thinks that there's something between them.)
- Missing Mom: Her mother died when she was very young.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Rin's blue.
- Rookie Red Ranger: When she joined the pre-exisiting kendo team, Kojiro literally assigned her as "Red" and gives her the commander position.
- Skilled, but Na´ve: Despite being a prodigy in kendo, she is pretty naive in other situations.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purple hair.
Voiced by: Megumi Toyoguchi (JP), Luci Christian (EN)The energetic captain of Muroe High's kendo team.
- Cat Smile: Her usual expression.
- Cool Big Sis: Has been described to be like a older sister to the rest of the members of the club.
- Ditzy Genius: Despite being a ditz, she ranked 20th in her year at school.
- Kendo Team Captain: She is the captain of Muroe High's team.
- Quickly Demoted Leader: She's the actual captain of the Muroe kendo team, but when star player Tamaki joins, Kojiro assigns Kirano as the "Yellow" ranger. Luckily, Kirano's cool with it.
Miyako Miyazaki ("Miya-miya")
Voiced by: Houko Kuwashima (JP), Leah Clark (EN)A relative newbie to the kendo team. Has great power, but lacks discipline compared to the other girls.
- Alliterative Name: Miyako M'iyazaki.
- Battle Cry: She unleashes one of hell of a scream before her second match with Carrie.
- Bishie Sparkle: Before she goes in Yandere mode.
- Blood Knight: Joined the Kendo club because she discovered that she likes hurting people and it gives her a socially acceptable outlet for those feelings.
- Iron Butt Monkey: The plot seems to exist to make her suffer as much humiliation as possible.
- Can't Catch Up: Mainly because she was the last to join the team, and has lost every match she was in.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: This happened to her TWICE against her matches with Carrie. The first time, however, was rather justified, seeing Miya was going against Carrie when Carrie was duel-wielding, and is much stronger than her. The second time was a lesser example, seeing that Miya does improve, but only to lose again.
- Delinquent: Vastly underpronounced in the anime, to the point that some viewers might not even realize the character was supposed to be one and wonder if she just has some serious self-control issues. The manga, on the other hand, makes it abundantly clear from the start and keeps it one of Miya Miyas defining character traits throughout. She is frequently seen smoking (in fact, her entire first plotline revolves around her attempting to avoid Saya since the latter caught her smoking in school), something which is never even hinted upon in the anime, ditches school often and has a far more stereotypical "girl gangsta" behavior.
- Unskilled, but Strong: She has great speed and power, but only resorts to head strikes. She does, however, pull off a throat strike during a sparring match with Saya and nearly knocks her out.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Was ready to beat down the upperclassmen who assaulted Danjiro. The only reason she didn't was because Saya crashed into her on her bike.
- Yandere: To her boyfriend Danjiro in the Violently Protective Girlfriend sense.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Oh, BOY...Her first match with Carrie was pretty much a Curb-Stomp Battle, but Miya tries to pull off a throat strike on Carrie, it leaves Carrie for a body strike that Miya goes for...until Miya is then struck with a head strike. The second match against Carrie has Miya showing some improvement, only for her to lose again. The biggest example would be her match against one of Konishi's teammate and loses the first round due to being distracted by Reimi, leaving herself open for a head strike.. Before the second round, Miya practically unleashes a pink aura and is ready to kick some ass...only for the events of the first round to repeat.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair looks like a weird mix between grayish purple and pink.
Voiced by: Sachiko Kojima (JP), Brina Palencia (EN)
- Genki Girl: She's full of energy.
- Genius Bruiser: An exceptional writer.
- Huge Schoolgirl: The tallest and physically strongest member of the team, though generally not all that self conscious about it.
- Rage Quit: She used to do this every session before the events of the series, only to come back the next session.
Voiced by: Rina Sato (JP), Carrie Savage (EN)
- Book Dumb: The reason why she wears glasses.
- Dojikko: She seems to trip a lot.
- Meganekko: She wears glasses, but those are fake.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: She wears fake glasses because she thinks that they would make her smarter.
Voiced by: Daisuke Sakaguchi (JP), Chris Burnett (EN)Tamaki's childhood friend.
- Childhood Friends: Has known Tama since they were children.
- Implied Love Interest: One of his most notable traits is the ambiguity of his feelings for Tama, it's never completely expressed if he likes her, if she likes him, or if they're just friends; but there's a lot of subtext that supports that there's something. In her introductory episode, Azuma seems to have an infatuation with Yuji, but it's never mentioned again.
- Over Shadowed By Awesome: While he seems pretty competent in Kendo and school, he takes a backseat along with Dan-kun since the story focuses more on the girls.
- The One Guy: Pretty much his only role in the series. He gets a little screentime, but it's not much compared to the girls.
Voiced by: Akira Ishida (JP), Sean Michael Teague (EN)
- The Ace: Played for Laughs. He's a nasally voiced gonk (who's apparently really that deformed in-universe, with one character mentioning he can't ride a bike since his chibi-like body has too short legs) who's shown at first to be whiny and naive... then we repeatedly learn that he has a smoking hot girlfriend who is genuinely, completely in-love with him, is an honor roll student (2nd highest average in his entire grade), an incredible artist (to the point his paintings are drawn in a more realistic style than the rest of the manga!), a complete chick magnet who has hot women literally fighting over him, and to top it all off a pretty good kendoka.
- Beware the Nice Ones: His 'black' aura is both better hidden and more subtle than Miya's but just as, if not more, fearsome when unleashed
- Gonk: Permanently super-deformed with a head that is often compared to an acorn in shape.
- The one time he isn't super-deformed, the manga has to remind the audience that yes, this is Dan.
Voiced by: Atsushi Imaruoka (JP), Newton Pittman (EN)
Voiced by: Yuichi Ishigami (JP), Cris George (EN)
Machido High School
Voiced by: Tetsu Inada (JP), Christopher Sabat (EN)Machido High school and Kamasaki high school's kendo instructor.
Voiced by: Kei Shindo (JP), Jad Saxton (EN)
Voiced by: Kiyomi Yazawa (JP), Colleen Clinkenbeard (EN)
Voiced by: Natsuki Mori (JP), Trina Nishimura (EN)
Voiced by: Saki Kondo (JP), Kate Oxley (EN)
Seimei High School
Voiced by: Mai Nakahara (JP), Monica Rial (EN)A first year student at Seimei High School. She attended the same middle school as Miyako, and became obsessed with her when she beat up a boy who Reimi had a crush on, but who liked Miyako.
- Nose Bleed: Around Miyamiya.
Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka (JP), Brittney Karbowski (EN)A first year student at Seimei High School.
- Shrinking Violet: She is a shy person.
Voiced by: Shinji Ogawa (JP), Greg Dulcie (EN)Seimei High School's kendo instructor.
Kamasaki High School
Takeshi IwahoriA second year student at Kamasaki High School.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Receives a hard one from Tamaki.
- Kendo Team Captain: The captain of Kamasaki's team.
- Stopped Caring: He stopped putting effort in kendo after witnessing Rin defeated by Ura.
- Unknown Rival: To Rin after she defeated him in middle school.
Narumi ChikamotoA second year student at Kamasaki High School.
- Kendo Team Captain: Became the new captain after Takeshi resigned.
Kendo Komachi◊ (Kendo Beauties) is a gathering of 9 middle to high school age female kendoka from all around the country that was chosen by Okame TV based on their strength and beauty to participate in their tv program 2 years ago.
One of the Kendo Komachi. A second year student at Touryuu High School in Fukuoka, Kyushu (third year student at the same school in BBC manga). She was the undefeated Japan junior high national champion for three years in a row, both in single and team competitions. When she was a high school freshman, after she won 15 matches in a row, she inexplicably lose in the third day of the Gyokuryuki tournament and suddenly quit kendo.
- The Ace: Hailed as the strongest female high school kendoka in the country.
- Actor/Role Confusion: When Black Duran threw away his sword, she took it as a secret message from him that telling her to throw away her sword.
- Killing Intent: Overwhelm and paralyze her opponents by emitting killing intent.
- Loony Fan: Of the actor Junya Takigawa, the idol who plays Black Duran.
- Red Baron: "The Queen".
- Room Full of Crazy: Ura's room, which is covered floor-to-ceiling with pictures of Junya Takigawa.
A 16 year old idol, famous for being in commercials and as a co-host on the Hot-Blooded Banish Academy variety show. Before she became an idol under the stage name "Erina Sawamiya", she was a national level kendoka and one of the Kendo Komachi. However, she quit kendo because of her frustration at her inability to beat Ura.
- Crouching Ditz Hidden Badass: She may be a ditz on the outside, but she is powerful with kendo.
- Daddy's Girl: She loves her father.
- In-Series Nickname: Was known as the "Second Genius" among kendoka because she was able to score a point against Ura.
Voiced by: Maaya Sakamoto (JP), Caitlin Glass (EN)
One of the Kendo Komachi. A second year student at Shuugyoku High School in Saitama, Kanto (third year student at the same school in BBC manga). Said to be the strongest female high school kendoka in the Kanto region. The main rival to Tamaki in the anime but only known by name in the manga. She refuses to participate in the Banish Academy because she think she doesn't have a chance to win against Ura with her current skill.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Tama's red.
One of the Kendo Komachi. A third year student at Rokubun Girls High School in Iwate, Tohoku.
- Crushing Handshake: Receives a painful one courtesy of Shouko.
- Kendo Team Captain: She is the captain of the Kendo Komachi.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Her win against Tama in the training session of Banish Academy, all we got is Kirino reminiscing about it.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Delivers a beating to a panty thief with shining wizard, giant swing and knee drop combo.
One of the Kendo Komachi. An university student from Hokkaido.
- The Berserker: The way she fights, so much that she scares her first crush in high school.
One of the Kendo Komachi. A third year student at Shuchou Middle School in Nagasaki, Kyushu (first year student at Yayoikura High School, also in Nagasaki, Kyushu in BBC manga). The current Japan junior high national champion. Refuses to participate in the Banish Academy because she was busy studying for high school entrance exam. Only known by name in the BB manga.
- Big Sister Instinct: To her younger brother, Yo.
- Gamer Chick: The national champions of the game Mononofu Blade.
- Hair Decorations: Almost never seen without her crescent moon hair ornament, she even attach it in her head protector.
- In-Series Nickname: "The Second Ura", "Monster".
- Lightning Bruiser: The fastest girl in the whole series.
- Multicolored Hair: Black hair with silver antennae and braid.
One of the Kendo Komachi. A third year middle school student at Gen'ei Academy in Kanagawa, Kanto (first year high school student at the same academy in BBC manga).
- The Fighting Narcissist: A positive one. Somewhat vain and obsessed with her own beauty, yet a genuinely skilled kendoka and a graceful loser. Defeating her is much more likely to convince her that she's still lacking in "beauty" and make her more determined to improve herself.
- Passionate Sports Girl: She dedicate herself to pursue true beauty through the mastery of kendo.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purple hair.
One of the Kendo Komachi. An university student from Shin'etsu region. A self-proclaimed kendo mania.
- '80s Hair: She has long hair.
One of the Kendo Komachi. A first year student at Santoku High School in Ehime, Shikoku (second year student at the same school in BBC manga).
- Friendly Rivalry: With Sami, her childhood friend.
- Performance Anxiety: Inverted. Average in training matches but performs better and more focused in competitive matches.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Sami.
Voiced by: Sanae Kobayashi (JP), Jamie Marchi (EN)
Carrie is from America, and tends to blurt out English when she is excited. She has a pet armadillo named Anderson in California, and has lived in Japan for eight years. Anime only character.
- Arrogant Kendo Girl: Her first meeting with Miyako in Episode 19 led to a battle in which the loser takes home out Danjiro. She wins but Danjiro, of course, stays by Miya's side. The two seemed to be on amicable terms after that as well as Episode 21. However, in 22, Carrie holds nothing back in pointing out Miyako's incompetence and mocks her about it, even after scoring a point in their match. And even when Miyako finally defeats her in the final episode, she still carries some arrogance.
- Dual Wielding: Outside of tournaments, and the only character in the anime with this ability.
- Friendly Rival: Implied in the credits of the final episode after Miyako finally defeats her.
- Gag Boobs: They don't jiggle, but they are a really huge exaggeration of how Japan perceives American women.
- Gratuitous English: Being an American, she speaks English when she is excited.
- Jerkass: She is a cruel, untrustworhy and callous bitch.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: In a way. In her second fight against Miyako, Yuji immediately realized that despite Miyako's improvement and training, that if Carrie was skilled enough to use two shinai, then obviously she was just as good with one.
The co-host on the Hot-Blooded Banish Academy variety show.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She may be a polite person, but she is cunning and callous on the inside.
- The Resenter: Ryoko loathes Erina for constantly beating her at every competition they attempt and making her look like a fool. Though it's mainly because Erina appears to be innately good at everything while Ryoko has to work herself to the bone to be at least half as good. Though she starts respecting her after witnessing her match with Sakaki and finding out about her history with kendo.
- Unknown Rival: Towards Erina Sawamiya.
A third year student in Kokujou High School in Kyushu. One of the Joshi Gokensei (Five Holy Swords). The current Japan high school national champions both in single and team competitions and also the Gokuryuki winner. She decide to participate in Banish Academy because she wants to fight Ura again before she graduate from high school.
- Crushing Handshake: Delivers a strong handshake that makes Touko wince in pain and begged her to stop.
- Determinator: She refuses to lose to anything, even if it means fighting Ura before graduating from high school.
- Passionate Sports Girl: Pretty much dedicate all her youth for kendo.
Voiced by: Yuu Asakawa (JP), Larissa Wolcott (EN)
- Eyes Always Shut: She keeps her eyes closed at all times.