Axis Powers Hetalia: Western Europe
Click to go back to the character index.
- Flower Motifs: Himaruya and the fandom tend to use tulips and poppies for Netherlands and Belgium. Their tag on Pixiv is even called "Tulip Siblings."
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Netherlands and Belgium also seem to fit these roles.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Netherlands and Belgium: Belgium is all smiles when Netherlands shows up in Spain's home, but he's all growls instead. Double in the anime, which adds the contrast between Belgium's cheery and somewhat high-pitched voice and Netherlands's much deeper tone. Also, according to Vol 3 notes:"Both seem to have had completely different personalities but their roots suggested they had dexterous hands skillful in diplomacy."
- Team Mom: Belgium sometimes plays this in fanworks and seems to have shades of this in the Drama CD.
open/close all folders
I'm sorry for teasing you, I'll give you some tarte au matons from my place!
Voiced by: Eriko Nakamura (JP), Amanda Doskocil (EN)
- Action Girl: A popular fanon portrayal. Having a BFG certainly helps. May also fall under Cute Bruiser or Badass Adorable.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Inverted, early illustrations portrayed her with blonde hair, but since her appearance in the anime with very yellow blonde hair, she has been portrayed as a brunette. Or a dirty blonde.
- Season Five of the anime seems to keep her hair color at this brown/dirty blonde color.
- An Axe to Grind: Despite having a rifle in official art, fanon usually gives her a halberd or battle axe as her Weapon of Choice.
- Best Her to Bed Her: Similarly to Monaco, in a request in the 2013 Halloween event, Belgium agrees to let Italy bury his head in her chest... if he can make a better waffle than she can. He gives up.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Her profile in the third volume describes her as being scary when she's mad.
- BFG: In some sketches, Belgium is seen handling quite a big rifle.
- Big Eater: Hinted at, but she seems to really love food. It doesn't hurt that Belgium has been described as a country of gourmands.
- Big Little Sister: While certainly not taller than Netherlands by a long shot, she was something of this when she was little in that she was much more successful in business than her older brother. The roles were reversed when they got older, and they seem to be on equal footing now, but Belgium wonders if her success is what drove Netherlands to be the shrewd businessman that he is.
- Boobs of Steel: Often gets this treatment in fandom, but during the Christmas 2010 Bloodbath she's shown to have a rather average chest.◊ When talking about female nations' body types however, Himaruya does say she has large breasts.
- Brainy Brunette: Usually depicted with brown hair, and an Only Sane Man.
- Cat Smile: Her default expression.
- Chekhov's Gunman: It's not as apparent in the webcomic/manga (as Himaruya has been known to update things ''years'' later, and the manga comes out around two times a year), but so much in the anime: She first appeared in the very first episode, only to become more or less important 93 episodes later—in other words, four seasons later.
- Child Prodigy: She was a business and trading genius as a little girl, according to the Hetalia Bloodbath 2011.
- Combat Stilettos: A sketch of her military uniform has her boots having high heels.
- Cool Big Sis: Finland mentions in the 2007 Christmas strips that Belgium is a bit like this.Finland: "She's mature and has a cheerful personality, but doesn't stand out much because of the people surrounding her."
- Cute Little Fangs: Not as common in fanart as her Cat Smile, but it still shows up from time to time. These actually appear in-comic in Volume Four.
- Expy: She, Natalia, and Alice Margatoid look so similar that it's easy to confuse them for each other in fanart.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Early artwork and the World Series anime color her hair a brighter golden blonde, but later illustrations and Beautiful World portray her with either dark blonde or brown hair.
- Hair Decorations: Sports a headband.
- In a flashback to when she and Netherlands were children, she wore a large bow on the back of her head instead.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: A quite popular fanon rendition of Belgium, based on how her land is among the biggest beer producers in the world.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: She often worries about not standing out or being plain.Belgium: When I look back, I feel bad that I didn't try a little harder.Ukraine: Belgium did try hard!
- Huge Schoolgirl: While Belgium has no official height, she may possibly be this. An old profile of hers mentions that she's tall, and some early anime art◊ makes her appear to be about the same height as France and Austria. In a recent blog sketch, she seems to tower over North Italy.
- On the other hand,the most recent manga Volume 4 showed she barely comes up past Netherlands' shoulder.
- Although he is The Big Guy...
- On the other hand,the most recent manga Volume 4 showed she barely comes up past Netherlands' shoulder.
- I Am Not Pretty: Calls herself plain in the fourth volume.Belgium: With all these strong guys around me, I may appear a bit plain, but I'm doing my best!
- Incest Subtext: According to some fans, Netherlands argues with Belgium while he wants her to become one with him again, like how Belarus wants to be one with Russia, except Netherlands is just pushy instead of Yandere. As a result, the fanon pairing of Belgium/Netherlands has a small but very loyal fandom corner.
- Ms. Fanservice: Humorously subverted. Fans specifically request Fanservice from the girls, then Himaruya draws a Belgium who is wrapped in a mantle and apparently only wearing bra/panties underneath... while openly complaining about her "nudity".
- This is played sort of straight in the actual strip, however, in that she's the only girl we see in her bra.
- Nice Girl: Her first reaction to seeing a naked Parallel Spain out on Christmas is to give him her scarf. In later strips, she's seen trying to get her older brother to be nicer to others and get her younger brother to join in the Halloween party. Despite her efforts, she bemoans that she doesn't stand out.
- Picky Eater: She is not a fan of foreign waffles.
- Plucky Girl: Despite all her hardships. She may not stand out much, but she'll try her best!
- The Chick: Of the Tomato Gang, especially in fanworks.
- The Ojou: Zig-zagged. The original anime sketches◊ and both the first panel◊ of "Meeting of the World" and the first episode of the anime series (based on said strip) show her wearing a light blue dress, a pink bolero, jewelry and a pink headband. Even when her first portrait◊ and this post had her looking more like a Bokukko. Then the translations of the profiles provided in the third volume, explaining she dresses simply and inconspicuously.
- She played it straighter when younger, though. While teen!Netherlands is shown in very simple village clothing due to his current poverty, little!Belgium wears a very cute dress and shiny Mary Jane shoes since she's a Child Prodigy in business trades and thus has more money than he does. Later, when the first Ned strip mentions how she has recently left their home, there's a drawing with both siblings in which a sullen-looking Belgium wears a rather pretty Pimped-Out Dress.
- One of the Boys: Often gets this treatment in fanworks, both from her Bokukko appearance and because she's the only girl in the "Tomato Gang" of the former Spanish territories.
- Self-Made Woman: First she was a Child Prodigy businesswoman. Later she was a part of the Spanish Empire. Then she left her brother's home to be her own nation. Now her lands are reasonably rich and have pretty good living standards.
- Shorttank: She seems to be the adult version of this trope. As well, despite looking like The Ojou when she was younger, her personality seems more suited to this.
- Supreme Chef: Implied as she references making sweets for both Romano and later for Netherlands in their Hattafutte Parade.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Waffles and chocolate, according to the drama CD. Naturally.
- Trickster Mentor: Possibly. Her profile describes her as being meddlesome and she did tease Romano in her first speaking role.
- Tsurime Eyes: While not nearly as pronounced as Netherlands' Belgium's eyes are often drawn a bit sharper than the other girls'. This is especially apparent when comparing her to Hungary, Liechtenstein, or Taiwan.
- Stop being a nuisance. Hurry and gimme snacks, tea, and Japan.
Voiced by: Nobuya Mine (JP), Arisa Nishiguchi (JP, as a child), Michael Sinterniklaas (EN)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Gets the same bright yellow hair as most other Europeans in the World Series anime. Season 5 has his hair changed back to being light blond.
- Aloof Big Brother: To Belgium and Luxembourg, but they don't seem to mind.
- Anime Hair: As far as this series goes, his spiky hair stands out as one of the odder hairstyles. Justified Trope, as in Real Life that hairstyle is rather common in the Netherlands.
- Badass Longcoat: With his military uniform.
- Battle Aura: He seems to gain one while doing business. Or around Spain.
- The Big Guy: Arguably the tallest nation after Russia and Sweden. Truth in Television, since the Dutch are some of the tallest people in the world.
- Death Glare: Often sends out one of these.
- Ephebophile - Lolicon: Is said to be this by Finland in the Christmas 2007 stripnote
- Finland: And he likes young women (too young?) and also thinks some shady drugs are okay, so he's kind of a punk in that way.
- The Faceless: He was like this for many years, until the 2010 World Cup.
- Icy Green Eyes: His eyes are a duality of his aloofness and strict frugality, and his more sensitive hobby of gardening. Especially the horticulture of tulips.
- Hair Color Dissonance: His hair color in the manga seems to shift between appearing as a pale sandy blond to a darker, dirty blond or light brown shade. Himaruya's official color chart shows that he's supposed to have the same golden blond shade as his sister, though her hair color is also subject to variation.
- The Lancer: To Spain
- Letting His Hair Down: In some sketches.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: The Hetalia Bloodbath 2011 shows him with his hair down as a pre-teen nation.
- Neat Freak: His profile describes him as one, and it's confirmed in the fourth manga volume where Poland and Lithuania comment on how tidy his house is and Netherlands responds that he tidies it every day and then forbids Poland from using his kitchen because he fears that he will make it dirty.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Owns a pet rabbit.
- Non-Idle Rich: You can bet that any strip that centers around the Netherlands is going to be about him trying to make (or avoiding to spend) money.
- OC Stand-in: For a period of time, fans had his FIFA sketch to base his appearance on but very little to base his actual personality on, and he was most commonly depicted in fanworks as a boisterous, easygoing, not-too-bright, pot-smoking guy - in other words, a pot-smoking version of Denmark. Even after he was shown in canon to be more of a blunt, no-nonsense, somewhat stoic and unsmiling guy, the Denmark-like fanon portrayal for him lingered on for some time in fanfic.
- Perpetual Frowner: He always seems to have a scowl or disinterested expression on his face, especially when contrasted with his sister Belgium who's always smiling and cheerful.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Netherlands is a very tall and gruff guy who just so happens to enjoy tulips and gardening, romantic poetry, owns a pet rabbit, and seems to like sweets.
- Rags to Riches: He's seen as a rather poor and struggling teenaged nation (while his younger sister Belgium is a Child Prodigy businesswoman), then he's seen as kinda more affluent but under Spain's wing (that he's not too happy about), and later he has become quite the overseas empire... and a stoic, penny-pinching Non-Idle Rich.
- Scarf of Asskicking: The Netherlands has a nice black, blue and white one.
- Scars Are Forever: Has one on his forehead, inflicted on him by Spain during one of their wars.
- Self-Made Man: Like Switzerland, he got to the top on his own, and his miserliness.
- Smoking Is Cool: The Netherlands loves smoking, and does it in a stylish pipe.
- Strong Family Resemblance: When his hair is down his bangs look almost identical to Belgium's. This is even more prominent when you compare his un-styled hair to Belgium's Nyotalia counterpart.
- The Stoic: He has yet to be seen without that expression as an adult.
- Tsundere: He is described as a Type A. Might have been confirmed in canon, as Netherlands speaks and acts very roughly but is still willing to keep contact with isolationist!Japan, putting up with his Hikiko Mori quirks rather patiently and bringing his pet bunny around. In fandom with Spain, this is his main characteristic.
- Tsurime Eyes: Quite pronounced and sharp ones, fitting a stoic like him.
- Sorry Pelutze, I haven't been able to pay any attention to you lately...
- Bishie Sparkle: In the one discarded sketch with his face.
- The Cameo: In Hetaween 2011, since his boss didn't let him go until he completed all his work.
- The Faceless: During Hetaween 2011. An old sketch of him in the authors blog actually lack the face making a more literal interpretation of this trope.
- Greed: One of his defining traits, being inspired by his older brother and with the desire to avoid being involved in the bigger countries' problems by accumulating a vast amount of money and wealth. Belgium felt a bit uncomfortable and embarassed at this revelation by him.
- In-Series Nickname: "Luxem." The fans seem to opt more for "Lux", though.
- Non-Human Sidekick: His little dog, Pelutze.
- Ouji: Himaruya describes him as polite and proper, and exuding an elegant aura.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His bangs cover his right eye.
- Workaholic: Perhaps. He did stay home in order to work...