Anime: Coyote Ragtime Show
A group of rough-and-tumble space outlaws
. A criminal organization
with a team of android assassins
. A hard-as-nails female detective
and her spazzy sidekick
. And a planet packed with treasure scheduled for demolition
Shove them together, and you've got Coyote Ragtime Show
The twelve-episode series
basically follows the misadventures of Mister, the leader of a branch of outlaws referred to as 'Coyotes', and his adopted daughter-thing Franca, who holds the keys to a massive treasure that's the legacy of her father, a legendary Coyote. However, they are not only being pursued by a sexy, gothic woman named Marciano
, but her band of '12 SISTERs', a band of robots dressed head to toe in Goth-Loli
Beautifully animated and generally exciting (as well as lots and lots of explosions and spaceships). It's a fun tale that isn't a masterpiece, but worth at least one viewing.
The first two episodes can currently be watched for free on the FUNimation video portal, here
This series provides examples of:
- A Mother to Her Girls: Marciano to the 12 Sisters.
- Actor Allusion: Sousuke Sagara is still able to kick ass, even though he seemed to get his small arms/demolitions training from non-military sources.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Angelica towards Mister after seeing him as a traffic cop.
- Amazon Brigade: The Twelve Sisters.
- Anachronism Stew: Where did they get those seventies-cop-show AMC Matador police cars from?
- Badass Grandpa: Not an actual grandfather, but Mister has to be in his fifties at least.
- Big Eater: Angelica
- Bling-Bling-BANG!: April has a gold Luger.
- Board to Death: Marciano is being scolded by the rest of the council of evil for causing an undue disturbance. Her response is to smile like a psycho; the next time we see the board, they're in the process of being slaughtered by the 12 Sisters. One of the board members that hasn't been killed yet grumbles that this is a bit of an over-reaction.
- Butt Monkey: Bishop
- Church Militant: You've gotta wonder what's going through people's heads when they ask a fully armed ex-criminal to be the head priest in a local church.
- Cool Old Guy: The main character!
- Cute Bruiser: Four of the SISTERs are little girls. August usually uses bombs, but the triplets — Oct, Nove, and Dec — prefer to throw things around.
- Cute Mute: June.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Chelsea
- Day of the Week Name: The 12 Sisters, named for the 12 months
- Determinator: Shot twice? Has to chase after the Big Bad's battleship? The only vehicle available is the unarmed flying car being used by the detective who's been chasing him for four years? Yeah, that's not gonna stop Mister from rescuing Franca.
- Eyes Always Shut: July.
- Fair Cop: Angelica and Chelsea.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Franca wears one sock and one legging.
- Funny Afro: Super Soul and Swamp
- Genius Ditz: Chelsea can barely read, but she has Photographic Memory.
- Heel-Face Turn: May starts out completely Ax-Crazy in the first episode, but once she literally loses her head, she ends up bonding with Angelica and Chelsea, eventually helping them escape from Marciano in the end.
- I Have Many Names: Mister has so many false identities that he's pretty much Only Known By His Nickname.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy
- Intergenerational Friendship: Mister with his crew. On the other end of the spectrum, Franca with the same group.
- Keet: Katana.
- Lady of War: Marciano
- Losing Your Head: May
- Lovable Rogue: The Coyotes
- Macross Missile Massacre
- May-December Romance: It's revealed later in the story that Angelica has a crush on Mister, despite him being at least thirty years her senior.
- Meganekko: February and Angelica
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: When some of the 12 Sisters attack the Jupiter. Oct, Nove, and Dec accidentally send a ship into the place where the bomb to be dropped is supposed to be, revealing that the bomb in space was a bluff.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Mister has so many aliases that "Mister" is the only name he can reliably be called.
- The End... Or Is It?: Sure, Mister and the crew were able to defeat Marciano's guild and save Planet Graceland from being destroyed while contributing to the end of the civil war there. But some of the 12 Sisters are still alive. April, at least, wants revenge for Marciano's defeat...
- Treasure Room: The Giga Banks vault is a huge one.
- Robo Cam
- Robot Girl: Marciano's Twelve Sisters
- Robotic Reveal: Marciano herself.
- Scary Black Man: Swamp
- Shout-Out: "Don't call him Plissken", which is a slogan on a van seen in a flashback.
- Mister and his team bear a similarity to the A-Team.
- Soul Brotha: Super Soul and Brother Swamp Gordon.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Franca's father is supposed to be Blues, but ADV Films and at least one fansub group called him Bruce. Also, the last SISTER is called Dec, but some subs called her Diesse.
- Stepford Smiler: July, though we don't really see into her head a lot.
- Sympathetic Inspector Antagonist: Angelica
- Theme Music Power-Up: Mister and the 12 Sisters both get this.
- Those Two Guys: Bishop and Katana.
- Throw Down the Bomblet: August likes big grenades.
- Time Bomb: The Graceland bomb.
- Tsundere: Franca
- Would Hit a Girl/Would Hurt a Child: Marciano when she's got Franca.
- Your Head Asplode: The only way to truly kill one of the Sisters, since they can live with just their heads (May even spends most of the series as a head).