- Adaptation Displacement: The film is based off of a book that precious few will remember. As Sidney Lumet himself noted, that's probably all for the better.
- Award Snub: The film was nominated for five Academy Awards, but won none of them.
- Harsher in Hindsight: The Catholic Archdiocese being involved, however peripherally, with a crime and attempting to cover it up, leaves an even worse taste in the mouth after the Sex Abuse Scandal that came to light in Boston in 2002.
- Retroactive Recognition: Bruce Willis and Tobin Bell appear as courtroom observers.
- Values Dissonance: The presentation of a black person as inherently untrustworthy comes off very strange now.
YMMV / The Verdict