- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: "Inspector Gadget". Not only was it a hidden track after 40 songs of silence, but its lyrics only make sense when viewed in the context of the 1999 movie...which it ended up being rejected for.
- Broken Base: Due to the conflict between J and Sean, the band's fans generally side with one or the other.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment:
- Their song "When I Remember When" includes the line "Why do they say that time can mend a broken heart? I know that it's not true", which sounds awfully prescient of the failed reunion attempts.
- "Sometimes" has J singing "Negative thinking has got my mind sinking, I'm wondering if it will ever stop". Cut to 12 years later when J was interviewed on the verge of crying due to Sean's continued negativity.
- Gateway Series: Although it may be hard to imagine, the band's combination of rap and rock on Invincible was a catalyst for the Nu Metal movement taking off in the UK, meaning that they were a gateway band for kids to get into the likes of Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park (and from there, other metal bands).
- Harsher in Hindsight:
- It seems that J's laddish personality and jokes during his time with the band meant that Sean became very bitter towards him.
- The song "Sometimes" is a peaceful song that features the line "Negative thinking has got my mind sinking, I wonder if the pain will ever stop". It is almost like the band predicted their own breakup.
- The music video for Don't Wanna Let You Go has J kidnapped by a crazed internet fan, with the others searching for him. Half-way through the video the other four meet up and Rich states "Let's get J back". Becomes this trope when, come the 2013 Big Reunion, J refused to rejoin the band, mostly due to not wanting to return to the public eye, in particular not wanting to engage online in social media.
- Jerkass Woobie: This is Sean's reputation amongst many fans.
- Signature Song: "Keep On Movin'", the popularity of which has endured years after the band's breakup. At the height of their popularity, the band were also well known for "If Ya Gettin' Down", "Everybody Get Up", "Got the Feelin'" and their cover of "We Will Rock You".
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: The band was marketed like any boy band was at the time, and they were made easily marketable to tween girls. Their hit "When The Lights Go Out" has lyrics that blatantly suggest Intercourse with You (one verse: "It's a blackout, girl, the lights are off / I can feel you getting closer / Now take your clothes off / Your body looks so soft / In between the sheets / I'll lay you down girl / I wanna knock your socks off"). Some fans were surprised to find out the meaning of the lyrics once they grew up.
YMMV / Five