- Ensemble Dark Horse: There are Loads and Loads of Characters in this series, but any time Chamberlain is featured things are bound to be more interesting.
- Evil Is Cool: It's hard to not feel this way about the horsemen as well as certain members of the Chosen. In particular, Chamberlain has a very steady following due to his cool southern wit, his surprising martial abilities, and his habit of being one step ahead of every other character in the series. Hickman has stated that he's his favorite character to write and it shows.
- Growing the Beard: While the series was interesting from the beginning, issue 4 finally reunites Death with his wife, gives the first good glimpse at what the PRA looks like, and has the series' first amazing battle scene culminating in a beautiful page by dragotta containing 18 panels.
- The Woobie: The Beast of the Apocalypse, although possibly less than it seems. And surprisingly Ezra Orion who has had a very rough time of it.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Babylon is possibly the most powerful,dangerous character in the series. He's also a confused 10 year old with a robotic balloon.
YMMV / East of West