- Fridge Horror: Cubby was released back into the wild. Without someone to protect them, cubs usually have a very short lifespan in the rugged Alaskan wilderness. Especially without a Mama Bear to guard them.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The poacher is played by Charlton Heston, who would go on to become president of the NRA from 1998 to 2003.
- Idiot Plot: The rescue team sent out to find Sean and Lara's father somehow are not able to spot his wrecked plane when it is in plain view. Even worse when they don't see the distress signal he fires in their direction.
- Jerkass Woobie: Yeah, Sean is an insufferable asshole but considering his mom died.
- Memetic Mutation: "I want that BEAR!"
- Moral Event Horizon: The hunters not only kill the cub's mother, but then proceed to taunt it with its mother's pelt.
- For some, despite being the protagonist, Sean crosses it when he tells his dad he should've died instead of his Mom.
- The Scrappy: Sean. Despite losing his mother, him taking his anger on everyone including his own dad loses sympathy.
- Squick: Sean's father twisting his leg back into place while trapped on his plane, entreating us to a blood-curdling scream.
- Unintentionally Unsympathetic: Sean being upset over his mom's death gives him a reason to feel sorry for him. But the way he takes his anger out on everyone and his overall, unpleasant and nasty personality ends up making him more of a whiny Jerkass instead. Even going as far as to wishing his own dad that he should've died instead of his mom!
YMMV / Alaska