In the early morning in a small town somewhere in medieval Germany, a One-Man Band musician starts playing in the town square. A little girl comes out to drop a coin in the wishing well, only for the musician to see her and put on a show in order to get her coin. She's about to give it to him when another One-Man Band musician appears on the opposite side of the square. A little musical duel breaks out as the two musicians battle for the girl's coin.
One Man Band provides examples of:
- Escalating War: The musicians go to increasingly absurd lengths, playing louder, busting out puppets, and eventually scaring the girl enough that she drops her coin down a storm drain.
- Gratuitous German: The title card actually says "Die Ein Mann Band" and the end card says "Ende".
- Kubrick Stare: The little girl busts out one of these when she's glaring angrily at the musicians, both of whom are obviously quite a bit taller.
- Laser-Guided Karma: The little girl, greatly annoyed after the musicians scare her into dropping her coin, demands one of the second musician's violins. She proves herself a virtuoso, earning a pile of coins in the square and leaving the two musicians with nothing.
- One-Man Band: Surprised? Two of them, as it turns out, and they have a duel.
- The Rival: The musician is unpleasantly surprised to see another one-man band guy show up in the square.
- The Stinger: After the credits roll, there's a shot of one musician precariously balancing on top of the other one as they try to retrieve the coins from the top of the fountain.