Heart of Keol is a webcomic written and drawn by Keiiii. It tells the story of Ethan, a 19-year-old American tossed into a Magical Land named Keol. It features full color art and uses the vertical scroll format commonly seen in Korean Webtoons.
The first page was published in November 2014, though a former Korean version exists.
Heart of Keol is centered on Character Development. Though there are a lot of travelling and some fight scenes, the background of each character, their interactions and the way their relationships evolve are far more important to the story.
Heart of Keol contains examples of:
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Danbi, big time. The fact he walks around in a man's cloths isn't enough to offset his sheer prettiness, as he is often mistaken for a cross-dressing girl.
- Fantastic Racism: Most humans believe that Rencho are hermaphrodites with an uncontrollable sex drive, and require them to routinely drink a libido-inhibiting tea.
- Gender-Restricted Ability: Played with but averted. Suyoris (see below in Green Thumb) are typically female, but the only thing that prevents a man from taking up this art is cultural stigma.
- Green Thumb: Suyoris can communicate with plants. This art functions as Utility Magic in the agriculture-based society of Keol, but can also be used in combat.
- MacGuffin Title: The Heart of Keol may be this. If so, it is a MacGuffin Location as well.
- One-Gender Race: All Elyeo are female. However, sometimes the otherwise Elyeo child of a human and an Elyeo can turn out male...
- Our Dragons Are Different: The dragons start out as small, glowing light beings called wyrms, which then transform into the actual dragons possessing long, multisegmented bodies similar to a centipede. Just many, many times larger. Oh, and they look like they're made out of human body parts.
- Teleportation with Drawbacks: Teleportation is one of many possible powers a dokkabi can possess. However, it takes care and practice to do safely and avoid embedding oneself inside an object at the destination, and teleporting more than one's own self requires more power than most dokkabi have at their disposal.
- Title Drop: As Danbi tells Ethan, the Heart of Keol is the name of an island.
- Trapped in Another World