Counting is a 7 page webcomic written by Al Arcand, more commonly known as Mr Sticky or Mr Sticky 005, drawn by Geoff Mosse and lettered by Anthony Pierno. It is about a suspicious man in the small town of Thirston. Despite its relatively short length, the comic is complete.
Counting can be read here.
Tropes used include:
- Adult Fear: A newspaper article reads that deadly bacteria was found missing from a military research lab. Later the town of Thirston is poisoned by a mysterious man acting as Sanitation Engineer working on the water tower. A cop later says that the man is a Colonel, showing that there may be a connection between the missing bacteria and the fake Sanitation Engineer.
- Anyone Can Die: Not just anyone... everyone.
- Asshole Victim: The kids who beat the stranger for no reason other than that he looked at them.
- Blood from the Mouth: The Police Officer and others cough up blood from drinking the contaminated water.
- Downer Ending: The Colonel gets away with it, and everyone in the town is dead.
- The Farmer and the Viper: The young woman who takes the Colonel into her house out of concern for him after she sees him in the aftermath of his beating. He does nothing to save her from dying with the rest of the town.
- Hazardous Water: Thirston's entire water supply is poisoned by the Colonel acting as a Sanitation Engineer.
- Kill It with Water: The Colonel kills everyone in the town with the town's poisoned water supply.
- Meaningful Name: Thirston. The story has quite a bit to do with water or being thirsty.
- Nameless Narrative: No character in the story is given a name- the closest we get is the protagonist being addressed by a title at the end.
- Nothing Exciting Ever Happens Here: The town of Thirston.
- No Name Given: None of the characters are named. The main character is at one point called "Colonel" but Colonel isn't an actual name but rather a rank in the military. Aside from that only the town itself has a name—- Thirston.
- Villain Protagonist: The Colonel. He poisons an entire town of people.