Yo! Joe! Beat the Ghosts is a 1993 Platform Game for DOS and Amiga, which features two characters. The protagonists can jump, crawl, kick, beat, slide, and swim. They are even able to hold their breath when under water. If you are playing the game solely, "Joe" is your character of choice. A friend can take on Nat's part at the same PC.
The game's purpose is to get rid of "Professor X", who is the bad guy. The players can attack opponents using several weapons, including molotovs, chainsaws and nunchakus. Yo! Joe! Beat the Ghosts doesn't offer save games. The copy protection requires the original disk at every start-up.
This Video Game contains examples of:
- Area of Effect: Molotov cocktails create pools of burning liquid which damage every enemy in their range. This is especially useful against bosses.
- Big Bad: Professor X.
- Build Like an Egyptian: There's an entire pyramid level with standard tourist attractions including traps, mummies and venomous snakes.
- Chainsaw Good: The most effective weapon in the game, although unlike other melee weapons it requires fuel.
- Excuse Plot: Even more than in most retro games. A bunch of supervillains want to kill a pair of homeless graffiti artist teenagers. Why? Who knows? Who cares?
- Fighting with Chucks: Although it may be weaker than other melee weapons, nunchaku has the advantage of passing through walls and platforms and hitting enemies from a relatively safe distance.
- From Bad to Worse: Joe and Nat try ducking into a mysterious castle to evade the police. It becomes clear that the castle's inhabitants are much worse than the police.
- Locomotive Level: Before the final showdown, the player has to pass through a metro train ridden with enemies. For obvious reasons, this level is much shorter and simpler than any other.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Averted. Joe and Nat have health bars and can take a number of hits. With that said, it's generally better to fight enemies at a distance as opposed to up close.
- Phantom Zone Picture: Portraits of the level boss will try to backstab you when you pass near them.
- Stock Ninja Weaponry: Beside the nunchaku mentioned above, there are shurikens available in some levels.
- Unexpected Shmup Level: This is how you move from one level to another. Additionally, it is a good chance to gain additional lives by collecting power-ups and avoiding damage.