Xenophobe is a 1987 arcade game created by Bally Midway (the future Midway Games), later ported to consoles by Sunsoft. Three people can play at once, and the screen is divided horizontally into thirds. Each player controls a joystick with a trigger and two context-sensitive thumb buttons.
It involves one to three Space Marines, from a pool of nine, trying to collect valuable hardware and kill all the extraterrestrial monsters in each room before time runs out and a self-destruct mechanism goes off.
Wikipedia explains the gameplay more thoroughly.
This game provides examples of:
- Attract Mode: Unusually for an arcade game, it doesn't demonstrate any gameplay.
- Color-Coded Multiplayer: The red player plays in the upper third of the screen, the yellow player in the middle third, and the blue player in the lower third.
- Excuse Plot: "Kill all the aliens in the time limit" is the only plot you get.
- Green and Mean: The alien monsters.
- Punny Name: The player characters include Col. F. Truth and Dr. M. Brace.
- The Smurfette Principle: There are only two human females among the nine player characters.
- Timed Mission: You have to kill all the aliens before the self-destruct sequence goes off.
- Xenomorph Xerox: Most of the alien monsters resemble the Xenomorph's various forms from the Alien film series. The game actually refers to them as "Xenos".