Spud's Quest is a PC game from independent developer "Mouldy Toof Studios". Players take on the role of Spud and his friend Prince Charming, who has been cursed by an evil wizard and turned into a frog. The pair set on a journey to uncover four ancient elemental essences that have the power to banish the evil and remove the curse.
The gameplay is often refered to as a mix between The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and the Dizzy series. It contains the temples of Zelda games, the power-ups and abilities of Metroid, and the item-based puzzles of the Dizzy games. It also features a switch mechanic to toggle control between Spud and Prince Charming, in which teamwork is used to progress.
This game contains examples of the following tropes:
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: There's 50 trinkets dotted around the game world to find.
- Plot Coupon: The four elemental essences.
- Fetch Quest: As with the Dizzy games, a chunk of the game relies on taking items from one place and using them somewhere else.
- Ability Required to Proceed: The ability scrolls
- Call to Adventure: Spud receives a telepathic message in a dream
- Evil Sorcerer: The Big Bad
- Evil Tower of Ominousness: The final section of the game.