Pokemon Adventure - Red Chapter is a ROM Hack of the US version of Pokémon FireRed created by Aethestode. The game is a retelling of Red's story from the Pokémon Adventures manga series. The game, however, isn't a complete retelling of the manga series as the creator has taken artistic license to create his own storyline and events. The first portion of the game takes place in the Kanto Region. The second portion of the game takes place in the Orange Archipelago. The third portion takes place in the Sevii Islands. According to Beta 12's news, Beta 12 would include five more regions (e.g. Johto Region, Hoenn Region, Sinnoh Region, Orre Region, Decolore Archipelago).
After the fateful encounter of Mew in Pallet Forest, Red found himself in a Pokemon Journey across Kanto to become the best Pokemon Trainer in the world. However, it won't be easy when his rival, Blue and later Green is also following the same dream. Things then becomes complicated when Team Rocket began to perform their cruel experiment on Pokemon. What they are experimenting might end up destroying the world.
Pokemon Adventure - Red Chapter, as of the current beta, features Pokemon up to Generation IV that can be caught and trained. However, Beta 12 would include all Pokemon from Gen IV, V and VI. The game allows players to perform normal Evolution, Mega Evolution, Primal Reversion as well as fusing separate Pokemon together.
After finishing the hack at Beta 15 and an expansion that goes up to the Elite Four arc, Aethestode is going to make a sequel in RPG maker.
Play the hack here.
Tropes used in Pokémon Adventure - Red Chapter:
- Absurdly High Level Cap: There is nothing stopping a determined (or cheating) player from leveling their team to level 255, 155 levels higher than the cap in official game. If the player intends to play the endgame content, they will need to do so, as the Gym Leaders can be faced again, with their level 255 teams.
- Big Bad: Giovanni in the Kanto Region Saga. Drake in the Orange Archipelago Saga.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall:
- Herp Derps NPC are usually found throughout the game. Upon interacting with those NPC, they would usually complain about the Pokemon Adventure - Red Chapter hack.
- The creator himself also appeared inside the game.
- There's an entire bonus event dedicated to the Herp Derp NPC and the creator himself. Needless to say, that the bonus event constantly break the fourth wall.
- Red and Yellow's conversation in the Pokemon Centre, after Red defeated Giovanni, is practically this.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Important characters in the game speaks in coloured text (e.g. Red speaks in a red coloured text, whereas Blue speaks in blue coloured text).
- Dark Is Not Evil: Averted. Cissy, the Gym Leader of Mikan Island, specializes in Dark Pokemon. Turns out she is part of Team Rocket.
- Darker and Edgier: The manga series itself is darker than the Pokemon anime. However, the hack is considered much darker than the manga series.
- Majority of the game's bonus events have pretty creepy stories (The old man in Celadon City event takes the cake).
- The Dragon: Lt. Surge to Giovanni.
- Gameplay and Story Segregation: There are occasions where whether the player wins or loses a battle, Red, the player character, is treated as having lost. This is egregious if the player abuses the Absurdly High Level Cap of 255.
- Heel–Face Turn: The Team Rocket Triad (Lt. Surge, Koga and Sabrina) plays this straight after the Kanto Saga.
- Averted with Cissy. If a player plays a bonus event that features her in the Orange Archipelago, there will be hints that she'll eventually perform a Heel Face Turn. However, ultimately, she chooses not to do so.
- Heroic Mime: Averted! The protagonist speaks, and he speaks a lot too.
- Jerkass: Blue, your primary rival.
- Red's mother likes watching Desperate Housewives.
- Pewter City contains a couple of references to Glee. One of the NPCs in the Pokemon Center is named Lea Myshell, and when spoken to, she sings a few lyrics from "Don't Stop Believin'". There are also a trio of cheerleaders named Quinn, Brittany, and Santana, and a biker named Puck.