Pokémon Blaze Black and Volt White are rom hacks of Pokémon Black and White, respectively. While renowned mostly for making all 649 Pokémon obtainable on a single file, they are also known for overhauling the stats and movesets of Pokémon, as well as making the game significantly more challenging and adding a new post-game. They were the first pair of Pokémon overhaul romhacks created by Drayano60, followed by Fire Red Omega, Sacred Gold & Storm Silver, Blaze Black 2 and Volt White 2, and Renegade Platinum.
Tropes that Pokémon Blaze Black and Volt White provide:
- Adaptational Badass: A good number of the available Pokemon species have their stats boosted, their movesets retooled, and a few even get new typings. Examples include Glalie becoming Ice/Rock, Electivire becoming Electric/Fighting, and Serperior becoming Grass/Dragon. Also, they get their Hidden Abilites as secondary abilities in the wild.
- Some of the moves get similar treatment with their base power and accuracy boosted, and a couple even change type.
- Anti-Frustration Features: You get the bike at the start of the game.
- 100% Completion: It's possible to get all 649 Pokémon available in the game without trading.
- Master of Illusion: As in Black and White, N's final battle leads off with Zekrom or Reshiram - except here it's actually a disguised Zoroark.
- Mythology Gag:
- Youngster Joey has a Rattata.
- On the post-game routes to the west of Opelucid City, you can find some trainers that are based off of the Dex Holders of Pokémon Adventures and their teams. For example, one of the first trainers you face is Pokemon Ranger Red, whose team consists of Venusaur, Poliwrath, Pikachu, Espeon, Snorlax and Aerodactyl.
- Nintendo Hard: Very much so compared to Black and White. All gym leaders use 6 Pokémon with good movesets, and some even battle you with a different battle format (for example, the first gym battle is a rotation battle). Also, opponent trainers, including the special ones, can have Pokemon with levels reaching as high as 95.
- Olympus Mons:
- You can catch all of them in some way or another.
- Ghetsis uses a Genesect in his team.
- Game Freak Morimoto has a full team of mythical Pokémon.