The story begins on the protagonist's birthday, when his girlfriend, Anabel, gifts him a tour within Cablad Caves, an ancient underground system known for being incredibly dark. Things go wrong when the lights are turned off, as scheduled...but then they do not go back on, and the tour guide gets killed by a strange creature. By the time the protagonist picks up the flashlight tour guide dropped, Anabel is missing, and there's no-one else left. The only thing left to do is escape, with or without her.
This game demonstrates the following tropes:
- Collection Sidequest: There are 49 "sprite droppings" scattered on the floor throughout the game. If you obtain all of them, you learn more information about the characters and antagonist.
- Death by Sex: Downplayed. Anabel opted for this tour of a dark cave precisely so that they could have sex in complete darkness, and you hear sounds of their smooching while the tour guide worriedly chats with Paul as it slowly sinks in that the lights won't come back on. However, out of the two, at least the protagonist survives, while the tour guide gets killed even though she wasn't distracted like them.
- Eldritch Abomination: The creatures in the cave.
- Foil: Anabel is loud and talkative to contrast with the protagonist, who only speaks quietly and scarcely.
- Infinite Flashlight: Played straight.
- Noodle Incident: Just before she gets devoured by a cave monster, the tour guide asks the lights operator named Paul (presumably already dead by that point) over the walkie-talkie why he isn't turning the lights back on, and questions if it's about the last night."There are worse things then pepto-bismol pink...probably.
- Explained in the after-game if you collect enough sprite droppings, where it's revealed Paul threw a party at their college to meet girls; instead the tour guide and her friends ended up painting his room pink.
- Orphaned Series: It's been 10 years, and there's still no Parts 2 and 3. Word of God confirmed in 2012 that financial reasons would likely prevent them from ever being made.
- Sequel Hook: Blatant, though it is "Part 1 of 3".