- Ascended Fanon: It's minor, but the official iTunes soundtrack refers to the girl that turns into Uboa as "Ponico", a romanization of her long-standing Fan Nickname. Uboa remains unnamed, however.
- Defictionalization: Recreations of the NASU minigame are available on Kongregate, iOS, and Android.
- Fan Nickname: All of the area names are unofficial, as are all the character names except for Madotsuki (who's named in the menus), although various characters' nicknames (such as Monoko and Monoe) are derived from their internal files.
- Follow the Leader: An astonishing number of people with time on their hands have taken to making fan games of Yume Nikki. The examples in Fan Sequel are only a few of the more well-known ones.
- Fountain of Expies: The protagonists of Yume Nikki's spin-offs are expies of Madotsuki by default.
- Let's Play:
- Here's one of the better-known ones. Since most of the fun of Yume Nikki is in the exploration, it's advised that potential players give the game a whirl before watching, or else only watch a little bit at first to determine if it's the right game for you.
- Another one is located on the Let's Play archive. It uses subtitles in an attempt to retain the ambiance of the original game.
- The Manly Badass Hero has completed a playthrough of Dream Diary.
- Reclusive Artist: Little is known about Kikiyama. She has made no other games aside from Yume Nikki, she's never done any interviews or publicity, and everything about their real-world identity is a complete mystery. She does have an email address, which Japanese-speaking fans have been able to wriggle a laconic response out of once in a blue moon (which is the only reason fans even know she's a woman, as she refers to herself using female pronouns within them), but otherwise, she's said not a peep since 2008. This has continued even after official merchandise and adaptations began to be produced in 2013.
- Urban Legend of Zelda: Several earlier versions of the game were said to have been released or published in Japanese gaming magazines with demo discs long before the full game was released. So far only versions .04, .06, and .09 have been found and dumped to the internet for anyone to download.
- The Wiki Rule: The Yume Nikki Wiki for anything related to the main game. There is also a wiki covering the fan games.
Trivia / Yume Nikki