- Awesome, Dear Boy: Eva Mendes wanted to work with Frank Miller before even seeing the script.
- Box Office Bomb: Budget, $60 million. Box office, $39,031,337. This is Frank Miller's second-worst box office bomb, surpassed in 2014 by Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.
- Doing It for the Art: Frank Miller lavished love and ham on every single frame. Samuel L. Jackson in particular seems having the most fun with it.
- Parody Retcon: During filming and promotion, Miller and co. talked like it was a serious movie in tribute to the comics and Will Eisner in general. Then the movie actually came out...
- What Could Have Been: Brad Bird's The Spirit. Sometime around in the 1980's, an animated animantic of the Spirit was shown. Will Eisner asked for the person who animated this sequence and it was done by none other than Brad Bird. Bird wrote the script but, however, despite positive acclaim the script got, the Hollywood majors couldn't picture it as an animated film. It is interesting to think what would happen if Brad Bird had adapted the Spirit as an animated film during the 1980's.
Trivia / The Spirit