- Accidentally Correct Writing: While portrayed as horrific to both modern viewers and In-Universe Westerosi witnesses, Daenerys and her army targeting civilians during the siege of King's Landing is quite accurate to siege warfare in the medieval era. When Daenerys mentions that the people of King's Landing did not turn against Cersei and as such count as legitimate targets, this is consistent to the norms of warfare observed in the Pre-Geneva Code days. It was widely agreed that if a defending city had rejected all offers of surrender before the breach of the city, then quarter would be denied, and the whole city would be made examples of. Source
- Actor-Inspired Element: Originally, Euron was just supposed to die outright in the fight with Jaime after mortally wounding him. Pilou Asbæk objected to this◊ by literally refusing to close his eyes or stop smiling when they were shooting the scene, insisting he instead continue talking and stare into the sky (that is, the camera) "like life is beautiful, and then you guys have to cut away." Thus, Euron gets to Go Out with a Smile, satisfied that he killed and cuckolded the last Lannister man as his last act, right after killing a dragon and burning another fleet.Pilou Asbæk: Everyone else has a terrible death, or are in a position of, "OK, the world has burned down and now I have to rebuild it." Euron isn't. He's just like, "Yay, I'm going to go into history." I'm the only one with a real happy ending.
- Creator Backlash:
- Lena Headey later stated that she hated how anticlimactic Cersei's death was, even preferring the popular fan theories of either Arya, Jaime, or even Arya disguised as Jaime delivering her comeuppance.
- Emilia Clarke implied in interviews that she wasn't fond of the direction her character took in this episode.
- Fan Nickname: Following the events of the episode, a number of fans were quick to dub Daenerys "Queen of the Ashes", based on how she denied that she would become this kind of leader when speaking to Olenna Tyrell, and Varys's assessment earlier on how Littlefinger would let the world burn if he could rule what was left in a previous episode. Dany has effectively shown that she would live up to Varys's worst fears about the kind of leader that Littlefinger would have been.
- I Knew It!:
- Many fans predicted Daenerys would go mad, and many of them that she would burn King's Landing. They were correct.
- Equally many predicted that Jaime and Cersei would die together since they had come into the world together. They were correct, too.
- For better or worse, Cleganebowl finally happened.
- Some fans predicted correctly that Cersei would kick the bucket on Mother's Day.
- It was a popular fan theory that Jaime was only going back to King's Landing to kill Cersei. This episode debunked that.
- Another theory had Arya wear Jaime's face and do the job, thus crossing Cersei off her list. Also debunked.
- Wag the Director: Reportedly, Euron Greyjoy was meant to just die without any Famous Last Words, but Pilou Asbæk kept intentionally ruining the takes until he was allowed to say some.
Trivia / Game of Thrones S8E5: "The Bells"