- The Bittersweet Ending of FLCL will likely make you need to lie down for a while.
- Mamimi's "So long Naota" cements the shock of the series now being over. On the other hand, Haruko's guitar gives one last twang before the Mood Whiplash, but oddly fitting moment, of the credit song "Ride on Shooting Star", thus ending the show on a powerful last note.
- The manga is one hell of a tearjerker. Haruko leaves Earth, having left behind her Vespa scooter for Naota to follow her in the future. However, the modified scooter is far too difficult to handle for him, and drives so fast that his fingernails start to rip off. The final pages show him trying again and again, crying his eyes out all alone whilst cats watch him.
- The ending itself makes you want to cry when you see Naota grow up.
- From episode 6, after Haruko's return, in Naota's room:
- Naota (to Haruko, crying into her chest):"Where did you go!? You left without saying anything!"
- Not at all helped by the ambiguous expression on Haruko's face at the time. It's impossible to tell if she actually cares about Naota or if she's just using him.
- Let's go back to the first episode when Mamimi finds out Tasuku has an American Girlfriend. Break the Cutie indeed.
- Mamimi rejecting Naota's advances and kiss in "Brittle Bullet".
- Mamimi's whole situation. At first Naota (and by extension the viewer) doesn't question why Mamimi is always hanging out by the bridge in her uniform because she's probably just ditching. Her taking his money to buy a drink is played off as just something weird she does. But when Naota wants to find her, he goes to the bridge even after school, or in the dead of night, instead of to her house. Then Naota's dad pulls him aside and asks if Mamimi's family is poor because she was asking for stale bread. She doesn't appear to interact with anyone outside of being bullied or Naota, and even her cat leaves because she doesn't feed it—she asked Naota to bring cat food, but never actually buys anything with her own money. In the last episode she's been wandering around for days feeding the Terminal Core, and unlike Naota whose classmates and teachers are worried about him and question where he's been, no one seems to ask about Mamimi or why she isn't answering her phone, etc. Mamimi has no home and everyone she knows has abandoned her.
Tear Jerker / FLCL