City of Men (Cidade dos Homens) is a Brazilian TV series which is a spin off of City of God, happening in modern day, instead of The '70s. It aired from 2002-05 on Globo TV, with a film in 2007. City of Men is set in a favela, and follows the adventures of childhood friends Laranjinha and Acerola as they come of age, and come across obstacles such as feuding gangs, girls, and social problems from poverty to the Brazilian prison system.
Tropes in this Work:
- Beach Episode: they are in Rio de Janeiro after all.
- Class Trip
- Coming-of-Age Story
- Faux Documentary: There is a short segment with interviews with people visiting a prison.
- Even Evil Has Standards: "Wrong is wrong and right is right!"
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion — after Cristiane gets pregnant, she attempts to get an abortion, but they don't have the money. This is a Very Special Episode which has some statistics about Teen Pregnancy and the dangers of home abortions at the end, but the situation is referenced in episodes afterwards.
- Hip-Hop: Referenced in an episode in which they go to Sao Paulo and meet an MC.
- The Movie: Released in 2007.
- Ms. Fanservice: Power Girl.
- Recurring Character: João Victor, the 'playboy', Powergirl, and many of the gang members.
- Wrong Side of the Tracks: the favela itself. The fact it doesn't have named streets launches a Zany Scheme.