Da Cor do Pecado ("Shades of Sin") is a Brazilian telenovela produced and broadcast by Rede Globo in 2004 with a total of 185 episodes. It is one of Rede Globo's most successful productions, just coming after Avenida Brasil (from the same creator), in terms of viewership and worldwide exhibition, as it been sold to close to 100 countries.
It tells the story of Preta, a beautiful and poor black woman who falls in love with Paco, a white botanist and son of the millionaire Afonso. Paco also loves Preta, but is engaged to Barbara, a beautiful, racist and cruel woman who has a lover and is only interested in Paco's money. Barbara devises a plan to make Paco believe that Preta has stolen his money and has a mistress. The plan is successful, but Paco also learns at the same time that Barbara has a lover and decides to break up with her. Barbara manipulates Afonso and convinces him that Paco is crazy and should be admitted to an asylum. A chase happens, and Paco ends up disappearing into the sea and being reported dead.
It could end there ... but Preta and Barbara get pregnant at the same time. Preta is pregnant with Paco, and Barbara becomes pregnant with her lover, Kaike. Both children grow up, with completely different personalities, with Preta remaining in poverty and Barbara in wealth. After eight years, Preta decides to introduce the son to Afonso, and to convince him to recognize the grandson. Meanwhile, Barbara is forced to marry unscrupulous Tony, who plans to steal Afonso's fortune and will do everything to prevent Preta from ruining his plans.
But there's still one last twist ... Paco survived, having been rescued by Ulysses, a fighter who realizes that Paco is physically identical to his brother Apollo, who disappeared at sea at the same time after meeting smugglers. Not to make his mother suffer, Ulysses convinces Paco to assume the identity of Apollo. After eight years, Paco, still pretending to be Apollo, returns to the lifes of Preta, Barbara and Afonso, planning to do justice ...
Da Cor do Pecado provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Tina is that for the Sardinha brothers ... especially Abelardo, who is the only one of the brothers who has no physical or romantic attraction to her.
- Awful Wedded Life: Barbara's life becomes this when she is forced to marry the cruel Tony after he finds out all her secrets. He abuses her verbally and physically often.
- Beneath the Mask: Deep down, Barbara really loves Paco. Money is just a bonus.
- Berserk Button:
- Don't you dare insult Abelard's mother in front of him.
- Don't you dare insult Preta's son in front of her.
- Abelardo, who is humiliated by his family because they suspect he is gay (something he never confirms). Also, while his dream is to be a professional makeup artist, everyone finds his work mediocre. And in the second half of the soap opera, Tina, a woman for whom he feels nothing, falls so madly in love with him that she rapes him. Constantly. With the support of the family. And it's all Played for Laughs.
- Helinho, who pretends to be a pai de santo (a sorcerer / seer) to get money and tries to seduce a beautiful widow. Unfortunately for him, her dead husband is really a ghost who is not happy with a charlatan seducing his wife... and Helinho's life turns to hell until the end of the soap opera.
- Ulisses becomes that in the second half of the soap opera, when he makes the huge mistake of romantically getting involved with Verinha, the mother of Barbara, a clumsy scammer who is still married. Everything that could go wrong for him goes wrong after this.
- Buxom Is Better: The Sardinha brothers constantly make fun of Tina's huge breasts, although they admit that this is also one of the reasons they are in love with her. Tina is proud of it, and when she dates Abelardo, she loves to throw his face between her breasts (he doesn't like it very much).
- Circling Birdies: Especially in scenes involving the antics of Edilásia and her sons. Usually only the sound effects of birds are used, though Thor (Cauã Reymond), Dionísio (Pedro Neschling) and Abelardo (Caio Blat) also all get animated stars around their heads at one point after losing a match.
- Contrived Coincidence: Paco is rescued by Ulisses, the half brother of his twin brother, Apolo.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Tina, who had already had an affair with two of the Sardinha brothers, falls madly in love with Abelardo midway through the novel after discovering that he is the best fighter in the family. The problem is that Abelardo feels no romantic or sexual attraction to Tina (the plot never makes it clear whether Abelard is homosexual or asexual). Tina has to get him drunk to have sex with him, and when Abelardo's family finds out, they decide to let Tina live with them, even forcing them to sleep together in the same locked room, where Tina forces Abelardo to have sex with her every night. Abelardo even screams for help when this happens, with expressions of fear and disgust. It's all Played for Laughs because Tina is a beautiful woman coveted by all the men around her. If the genders were reversed, none of this would be funny.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Tony's crimes scare even Barbara.
- Four Lines, All Waiting: Other than the main couple - each with their own plotline - there are various nucleuses: the Sardinha family, Barbara's parents, Preta's two friends, etc.
- Gold Digger:
- Tina doesn't care about money. She just wants to date the strongest man.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Afonso trusts Barbara and Tony, and distrusts Preta.
- Love Triangle:
- A love triangle with four people actually: Preta, Barbara and Moa fall in love and fight for Paco's heart at the same time, with him split only between Preta and Moa, knowing of Barbara's bad behavior (Tina also briefly tries to seduce him believing that he is Apollo).
- Tina and the three Sardinha brothers: Thor, Dionisio and Abelardo.
- Mama Bear: Edilásia Sardinha.
- Marshmallow Hell: When Tina and Abelardo start to "dating", Tina's favorite seduction tactic is to throw his face between her huge breasts. She finds it fun, he (who is Ambiguously Gay) ... not so much.
- Ms. Fanservice: Tina, played by gorgeous actress and model Karina Bacchi, who spends most of the soap opera in bikinis or shorts and miniskirts. Same with Moa, and Preta also has her moments.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Barbara makes racist comments about Preta. All the time.
- Scenery Porn: The soap opera really makes a beautiful use of the locations of Maranhão, as well as the beaches of Rio de Janeiro.
- Stalker with a Crush: Tina becomes this when she falls in love with Abelardo.
- You Can Leave Your Hat On: One night Abelardo and Tina are forced to sleep in the same room by his family. Abelardo tries to convince Tina to just sleep, and she seems to accept, even wearing a conservative robe that covers her entire body. A few minutes later, Tina gets out of bed, turns on a radio and takes off her robe in front of Abelardo, showing him that she is wearing a sexy costume and begins to make an striptease. Abelardo is horrified, while his brothers cannot sleep with the screams that come out of the couple's room all night long.