Xena, Gabrielle and Autolycus summon all their resources to escape from a ship submerged by a monstrous tidal wave.
- Badass in Distress: Subverted. Autolycus was chained up, but as ever, no one could actually hold him. He wanted to be on the boat in order to get to the mine and help himself to all sorts of valuable diamonds.
- Continuity Nod: Xena and Autolycus both recall the time she possessed his body.
- Freudian Excuse: Petrodes never learned to swim because his brother, Damon, drowned when they were kids. He blamed himself for it and was traumatized.
- Honor Before Reason: Macon tries to kill Thadeus on the grounds that he's a goner and that they need to conserve air. The others don't stand for that.Soraya: He's hurt! He's not dead! You can't just kill him like he was some sort of animal!
Macon: Why not?! That's how he treats us: like animals!
Autolycus: You're right, but killing him makes it true.
- Irony: Xena and Gabrielle have their worst ocean experience ever, and Poseidon had nothing to do with it.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Autolycus allowed himself to be enslaved so he could loot diamonds from a mine, but Gabrielle thought he was in trouble, leading to both her and Xena getting on the boat. Once things go to hell, Autolycus is pretty hard on himself for endangering his friends.Autolycus: We both know what I am.
Gabrielle: What's that?
Autolycus: Someone who can let a friend walk straight into trouble, all for the chance to steal a few lousy stones.
- No One Gets Left Behind: Thadeus has a broken leg and Petrodes can't swim, but the characters find ways to ensure they can escape. Also Xena going back for Macon.
- Not-So-Phony Psychic: The palm reader in the teaser. She warns of a tall, dark, handsome man and a voyage Gone Horribly Wrong. Xena is especially doubtful, but the prediction comes true.
- Seen It All: A palm reader predicts the events of the episode, though the warnings fall on deaf ears, particularly the part about great danger.Gabrielle: Did you hear that? She just described every day of our lives.
- We Help the Helpless: Thadeus offers Gabrielle a priceless jewel if she helps Soraya get to safety. Gabrielle would do it for free, though Thadeus misinterprets her refusal as wanting larger payment.
- What You Are in the Dark: On the way up to the surface Macon loses his waterskin and tries to steal Xena's. When he begins to drown, she dives back down to save him, much to his utter bewilderment when they both make it back to shore.Macon: Why? I'm a killer. Why'd you come back? What'd you expect?
Xena: From you, nothing. From me, nothing less.
- Whole Plot Reference: To The Poseidon Adventure.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Soraya calls Autolycus a good man for being the first to defend Thadeus against Macon. He doesn't take it to heart and instead feels pretty guilty, but Xena says that Soraya is right.Xena: Well, excuse me. I must've mistaken you for a man who once risked his life to save mine.
Gabrielle: There is quite a resemblance.